1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Returning to U.S. From India

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by delhi, Mar 8, 2010.

1. delhi

delhi New IL'ite

Has anyone done this recently? I moved to India from U.S. 2 years ago, it doesn't work out. I am thinking of moving back to west coast, hasn't decided the place yet. Has anyone done this? Did it affect your kids? Do your kids feel happy when they come back to U.S? My kids felt terrible when we moved back to India, but they adjusted to schools pretty quickly. Now, they don't want to move back to U.S.!

Please share your experiences. Thanks

2. Minni

Minni New IL'ite

hi,
    how old are your kids?
    Can we know why did you take this decision of moving back to US ?is that for your kids education or esle are you fond of US?

3. delhi

delhi New IL'ite

It's both. I have a son aged 13 and daughter aged 12. both study in Delhi. I find the education system is not changed much since I left 20 years ago. not sure whether I think right, but I feel that kids dont understand much in the school, they just memorize and spit it out in the exams.

I get better job in U.S. and better money. I am just not sure how kids would take the change. Experience from other parents would be helpful. Thank you for reply.

4. BeeAmma

BeeAmma Silver IL'ite

Hi delhi,

I am guessing the 2 key questions would be

1. getting a job in the US (given the 10% unemployment in the US currently)
    2. getting your kids into school.
    Have you checked to see the difference in syllabus and what would be needed to get back into the US school system?

One more factor to consider is cost of undergrad education in the US, since you have teenage kids and that should be coming up few years down the line.

I have a couple of friends whose parents did the reverse. Parents+kids moved to India when their kids were in 8th grade and had the kids do undergrad in India and then move back to the US for PG.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2010