Returning to India ??? Worth or not??

Discussion in 'Return to India' started by anika987, Oct 9, 2013.

1. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

I desperately wanted to go to US for certain reasons..money,luxury,clothes,style,privacy,no nosy people etc.
    I came to US after my wedding and did enjoy for 2 or 3 years.then reality settled in.
    tough to make comfortable friendships,the never ending war btw working woman and homemaker,etc
    BUT..usa has given me so many things!

1)more self-confidence
    2)Independence
    3)learning to deal things
    4)Exposure
    5)been pressurized to work here and did it quite successfully
    6)more luxury
    7)patience

USA has moulded me into a better human being BUT I still feel I am in someone else's house.

Now planning to return to India..
    would Like to know if it would work for a person like me?

1) Is it tough to maintain privacy when needed?I love people and love to talk but "sometimes" do seek private time
    2) I may not work.Will be a homemaker.Will I be treated with disregard?
    3) feeling of loneliness will ward off?
    4) Wearing western outfits,not wearing a bindi( I am tamil) after a certain age will be frowned upon?
    5) I admit I am quite sensitive but not crazy sensitive
    6) Do homemakers get bored easily?
    7) I do not speak hindi.is it ok?
    8) tough for girl kids?

Do let me know..
    thank you for ur inputs.

1 person likes this.

2. Coolchap

Coolchap New IL'ite

Dont ever make the mistake of returning to india. It requires at least 20 pages to explain it.

3 people like this.
  3. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Did u return to India recently?What are the problems?

4. NirmalaGoofy

NirmalaGoofy Gold IL'ite

It depends on what you want and what you will miss. I love the Indian lifestyle so definitely will go back. Here I am living a fake life and I don't like it.

2 people like this.
  5. rohanburra

rohanburra Silver IL'ite

Hmm I prefer USA than IndiaIndia

6. lucky2

lucky2 Platinum IL'ite

i did ..
    we moved back very recently and cant let u kno what im going through in public forums
    initially wasnt so happy about moving not because of easy life but i know that we have face hard times back in india but was happy thought we will be close to friends,relation and thought will be much easy to get into job and there are many to look after my kid..but reality is something opposite to what we want it to be,,
    destiny had different plans to me..im left all alone for no mistake of mine..tons of hatred piled aginst me..i can sense hatred and jealousy every time i go in midst of them and people envy me for no valid reason and ill treat me..no one to look after my kid if ever have to leave to take training or something like that..
    this horrible past is haunting me every night i try to sleep but wake up with ..
    keeping this aside..loneliness is killing me and being alone is US is much different from beng alone in midst of crowd..
    list goes on..if something or the other worked good for me,i wouldnt have regretted for moving back..i want you to think twice before u take a decision and if you have serious tiffs with your inlaws or husband bettr stay away for 3 to 4 years away..

1 person likes this.
  7. JustMyself

JustMyself Gold IL'ite

I have not R2I yet. but spent 6 months in India in between, and my responses are based on that experience. My suggestions to some of your questions would be..
    1) Is it tough to maintain privacy when needed?I love people and love to talk but "sometimes" do seek private timeYes, it would be, if you do not draw the line in the beginning. Allocate some "me time", "DH & you time". and time to spend with kids, for family, friends etc. It would help if you lay the ground rules in the beginning of your move, when you are still the "US returned" person, so others would leave at your peace.
    2) I may not work.Will be a homemaker.Will I be treated with disregard?
    I strongly recommend that you work. I used to stay with in-laws, and I observed that I am blowing up even minor issues in my mind, and keep finding faults with minor discomfort, as I did not have much to divert my mind to. I was on leave for 2 months, and did not like it much. I liked it much better when I started working, even after DH left back to US, and I was staying alone with In-laws.
    3) feeling of loneliness will ward off?
    Yes. I had so much fun attending family functions and spending time with friends, relatives and in-laws.
    4) Wearing western outfits,not wearing a bindi( I am tamil) after a certain age will be frowned upon?
    Yes, if you are living in Tamilnadu. I choose to wear jeans only when I go with DH alone, or am going to office. I was not born and brought up in city, so my friends and relatives hail from rural areas. I chose not to wear to other places, as my friends and relatives are still conservative. I prefer to respect their feelings as well.
    5) I admit I am quite sensitive but not crazy sensitive
    That is good.
    6) Do homemakers get bored easily?
    Not sure. But I prefer not to be a home-maker, as I would be living with in-laws.

7) I do not speak hindi.is it ok?
    Depends upon where you live. You may not find this as an issue, if you live in South-India. Anywhere else, may be an Issue.
    8) tough for girl kids?
    Nope, I dont think so. Just based on my experience growing up :D.

3 people like this.