Return to India OR trip to India ? which is best?

Discussion in 'Return to India' started by anika987, Mar 10, 2014.

1. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

People yearn for a sense of belonging or homesickness etc.

which is best for NRI's ??

Return to India works best for some,trip to India works for some.

1)Why it worked for the ones who left to India?What made the difference?

2) why it did not work for some?

Overall,which works best for NRI's ??

2. englishtutorjul

englishtutorjul Silver IL'ite

Not one answer fits all. Depends on the phase of life you are in, and your personal goals.

2 people like this.
  3. hotchillipepper

hotchillipepper Gold IL'ite

Ours was a short trip (if that counts coz we went to settle there but came back after re-evaluating all our priorities)but For us return to india worked very well. and yes one shoe doesnt fit everyone. we came back for many reasons, finance, weather, ayurveda, pampering (go to any shop/bank and if they feel that you are going to spend/invest they treat you like a God but in US even if you spend hundreds nobody cares :p) , comfort(maids,cooks,nanny, servants), temples, festivals, lifestyle. Not everything is good anywhere, but we made a choice that we'll settle in india itself and till date we never regretted it even in our dreams. All the best.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
    sindmani, mimi77, Saisakthi and 2 others like this.
  4. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

nice to hear hotchillipepper.

if u don't mind,where have u settled?how is the lifestyle,people there?what do u regret or miss?

5. hotchillipepper

hotchillipepper Gold IL'ite

I have settled in dehradoon. i love its climate and vicinity to hills. i have never been a metro person. the Only thing i miss about US is internet speed! some people cant adjust to mosquitoes and bouncy roads but they have never been an issue with me (guess i have bitter blood :p). neighborhood is helpful as they all know each other for ages(15-20 years least!) so they gossip to their hearts content but i have luxury to stay away being a bahu who doesnt speak much ;-) (only if they knew). apart from that,most hi tech gadgets are available here with far better home delivery then US(yes i have seen many couriers being left at our doorstep despite telling them that this person has moved out).
    what i love most is that we have sooo many choices to pick groceries and vegetable market is 500 mtrs from my place and most veggies are grown by local people in their backyard(even we have started producing our greens :-D), but this might be our lucky case as in metros it might be tough to get organic stuff. my husband is neutral to the beauty of this place coz he has lived here for ages but i love it soo much, watching hills from roof, and layers of snow on them (yes it again becomes a precious view :-D).
    I dont want to give you a rosy view to influence but i have no other thought in my mind. none of the people i met were happy that we came back(many are struggling to go anywhere outside but we just laugh silently at them. in my personal opinion if one can afford an upper middle lifestyle here and is staying abroad in a middle class(everyone has everything which anyone else has and still doing most of the work themselves) then it makes sense to come back. we can make money work for us to buy cheap labor to do so many jobs instead of slogging with plumbing, shoving away leaves/snow, crossing a red light and Not getting away with it :p.
    there are millions of problems in India but i feel i am part of those problems and with problems comes the solution and times are really changing everywhere.
    yes safety of girls is a Big concern. drugs and other teen problems are common everywhere. i forgot to mention one point which might surprise many, medical reasons. i dont have to take an appointment or i dont have to wait for emergency (and pay hundreds) to see my doctor. i can go and visit when i want. OPDs are available seven days and we dont have to stick to one doc(which might not be liked by many people but in my opinion feel it was much a breather here, since we struggled a lot to get timely treatment for my husband there) and what i like about the medical system that poor people can also get treatment for free, govt hospitals might not be best equipped with facility or staff but at least one doesnt have to check for insurance dates to get the treatment! and i have seen many doctors in aiims during sickness of my husband, so many of them slog to save lives and try to do their best but sometimes pressure takes so much toll on them and we see only those things getting highlighted in media. one doctor told me that he doesnt have a life, no family, no vacations, no nothing. he goes to his apartment just to do essentials and is back in hospital often to take care of emergencies and he was having such talent that he could be hired by any big hospital but he choose to stay there. we hardly hear about such people. yes there are bad people but does boundaries of a nation change behavior of person! man is man everywhere, good or bad. i do talk too much. and i dont mean to demean one life or another. its a choice we all make, we cant have best of both worlds and eventually we have to choose which world fits our priorities best. if you are still reading, my advice would be that you make up your mind keeping all options open and then choose one place knowing its merits and demerits and then never look back or crib. All the best.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
    sindmani, Anvitha, smiths and 10 others like this.
  6. Priya4oct

Priya4oct Gold IL'ite

Anika,

We are in USA from last 3 years including gap of 6 months, I was in India for those months (Pune as my work location is pune but my native is some where else). Honestly, I loved those 6 months and want to settle in India. We got opportunity to file GC but we didn't opt for that..i don't have any specific reason to settle in india but definatly family and home sickness. I was in India alone for 6 month with my DD but never felt any uncomfortness. Reason - I was knowing that I have many hands to help me if I need. I had all kind of help whteher it's maid or neighbor or family. I never got bored or was missing my family (who stay in my nativ) because my neighbor aunties were there. We celebrated all festivals. There is long list why I want to settle in India. Personally I feel, we can get everything (all luxuries) in India if want to spend same money what we spend here.

Few DILs complaint, they don't want to go because of PILs more involvement but I feel you can limit it (ofcourse DH should be in your side). In my case , whether I am in India or USA , skype/phone frequency is same for all relatives including my parents and siblings.

Some timeI fight with my husband to go back ut unfortunatly we are bounded with some professional responsibilities and some personal too, which require stay in USA. But we are sure we will not stay here after 2015. I am waiting to pass these days

3 people like this.
  7. jaanu143

jaanu143 Gold IL'ite

I agree with Hotchillipepper, Ours was a trip of nearly 4 years to US...Now we returned home, and njoying with both families a lot....Marriages, functions, pamparing full of celebrations......I recovered from my health issues and living happily.....

3 people like this.
  8. Sinant

Sinant Silver IL'ite

Loved this line hotchillipepper :)

'Does boundaries of a nation change behavior of person!? man is man everywhere !!'

Have all the potential to become a famous mantra ;-)

5 people like this.
  9. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Thanks for the elaborate reply hotchillipepper.that was so sweet of u.

U have painted quite a clear picture of what to expect and what not to.I am sure your answer will benefit many.

1 person likes this.
  10. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Hi priya,

since you are staying only for another year u should consider this as a vacation! infact u have the luxury to consider this as a vacation.enjoy ur heart's content in usa.Just don't pass the days.live your one yr vacation!take care dear.