Return to india alone or with husband.big dilemma...plz help

Discussion in 'Return to India' started by daisydew1980, May 3, 2013.

1. daisydew1980

daisydew1980 New IL'ite

Thank you so much for your suggestions friends.probably I should plan my R2I more neatly.if I go now it would be like rushing and so much pressure on me,and I really am too bad in acting when iam in pressure,so we think I should go to india during next summer vacation.until then I wil prepare my son for indian curriculum too.hopefully everything goes well.Good Luck to everyone who are in the same boat as me.

2. daisydew1980

daisydew1980 New IL'ite

hey frnds ,

As our dilemma continues,i enquired about the schools in india for my 6 yrs old son,DPS guys said that if I go india in june they might have few seats available for my son in grade 1 but if we go in nov/dec they wil take him in grade 1 for the next session.that means his 1 year wil be wasted.if he is in US he wil start his grade 1 in September.i am so confused about which is the best time to move so that his year is not wasted.iam ready to go alone with kids but keeping in mind the schools, when should I make the move.running in june hastily or finish the 1st grade in US.but he would have to repeat grade 1 again as there curriculum is different ,they said.but I have seen ncert books online,its all that he is learning here or has already learned.

Are there some other schools which would take some test and decide if he can go to grade 2 if he finishes his grade 1 year in US or no matter what he has to repeat the grade?please help..

3. Pramila1608

Pramila1608 Junior IL'ite

Hi Daisy
    We are also planning do the same, I am going with my kids 11yr and 5yr first and then my husband will join us later. I know it is too scary to think but you will not be alone you have your family to help and by then time will fly and husband will be back.

4. gankita

gankita Silver IL'ite

Hi

It has been quite a while since this post of yours.
    I am in the exactly same situation as yours or even worse.
    can you pls suggest what you decided, did u moved or not?
    pls, tell us the details.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2019
    GlobetrotterG likes this.
  5. Priya4oct

Priya4oct Gold IL'ite

Ladies,

Let me share my experience. Finally we movd back to India in May 2015 after 4.5 years of stay in USA (it is very less as compare to you ladies). I have two kids one is 5 year old and other is 10 month (She was only 3 month at that time). Initially when I moved back , we had many difficulties in terms of resettlement, weather. My elder one had true American accent as she was going to daycare from 8 month of age so it was quite difficult for her to get adjusted. First time when we came out of airport and she shouted 'daddy see..so many cows'. She didn't have any friends to play in society as she could not speak hindi. She was just watching them. She was not ready to join any summer camp with fear no body will talk to her. But now after 6 months ..she has tons of friends in school, society. She is fluent in Hindi and on top of that she doesn't want to go USA back (other that meeting Elsa AAhna in Disney world). My younger one - we admitted her to a daycare few weeks back and she too adjusted very well. I would say she took less time as comare to elder one who started daycare in USA. Her daycare have 1:1 ration for infants and their is always someone dedicated to her. So no worry for her too.

Now me - I always wanted to be back in India and settled here. So I was on top of cloud. When I reached india I was very happy (just packed all my westerns and wanted to enjoy traditional dresses). But when I started settlement part, it was quite difficult. For everything big queue, groceries, maid everything so expensive (when I was comparing with living cost of 4 years before). But that was phase , which got over. Now we all are adjusted very well, have bunch of friends , good house hold help (for cooking and cleaning, which I couldn't afford in USA). We enjoy, go out on weekends and more important , I do not need to worry for my house hold work after office.
    Regarding privacy - I always had a limit that is applicable here too. So no issue with me.

Western cloth - I never wore short or backless/noodle strap top in USA so not a concern for me. I do wear jeans, capris, knee length skirt (very rare) and dresses here too.

Overall, we are very happy as we have every thing (family, friends, luxury) with our move back.

6. ash34

ash34 New IL'ite

Thanks priya4oct, for the feedback. Since you spoke about the settlement, domestic help and other luxuries that you can afford now, can you tell how much savings will be ideal for getting the same kind of luxury in case anyone planning for RTI ?

7. Priya4oct

Priya4oct Gold IL'ite

Living cost depends on your city. We are in Pune , have our own flat. Since we had already completed our loan so no issues on rent (but now a days rent for 2 BHK is 20K ina good locality). School fee will be around 1.25 L-1.6 L (for my daughter it is 1.4 L, 1st std , new admission) and maid - 4k/month (cooking and cleaning), daycare (if you are working , 13 K (my infant full day and elder one 4 hr/day) and groceries are around 10 K / month ( we are pure veg) + extra I would say 20 K (includes our local outing, office expenses and eatout , I am big foodie who love to go outside every weekend).

This is our approx. monthly expense.

GlobetrotterG likes this.