Resuming career after a gap..whats the best way to deal this?

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by sumalb, Mar 13, 2013.

1. sumalb

sumalb Senior IL'ite

Hi,
    I am planning to resume my career after a gap of 1 year. I have over 5 years of experience before I quit.
    My questions are:
    1. Is it better not to mention the gap in resume, to get calls and reveal it later to HR when I get calls, or when I reach to final discussion, After all they make out that I don't work when they ask for compensation, joining period etc.
    2. Is it better to mention in resume, then I presume I may get less calls, and loose opportunity to even show my skills in interview.
    whats the best way to deal this? I don't want them to be surprised later!
    Thanks.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013

2. lakshya1234

lakshya1234 Silver IL'ite

I feel u should tell them abt the gap u have in ur career...
    It's pretty much casual in a women's life to hav a year gap ... u can tel themm that u took a brk for TTC or to get settled in new place or after marriage ...
    If ur previous exp is genuine, then they might consider it and leave abt the gap. In some cases they give more importance to the ppl who are ready to join within 15 days or so. Don't tell them that u r not working currently, but when they ask u abt the notice period then tell them u r ready to join... if they extend the topic, then u can go into deep and tell them abt the gap.
    Its purely my point of view though... let's see what other IL's suggest ??

3. sumalb

sumalb Senior IL'ite

Yup lakshya.. this is how am going.

I have another question to ask..
    Do they filter candidates( for calls, later after interview etc) based on gap and expected CTC?

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  4. cedantseq

cedantseq New IL'ite

tell the truth, in job, they see your experience and reason why you never worked, always tell the truth, as you might not have to regret later

5. lakshya1234

lakshya1234 Silver IL'ite

Yes... they might not consider the gap but expected CTC and notice period matters...
    If u don't have any competitors then the companies will offer u what u r expecting ... at the same time, if any other person with equal knowledge but ready to join with less package than ur's then they may consider his/her application. They may not consider the gaps but definately they will see for expected CTC and notice period when they have more than one profile selected for a position.

6. sumalb

sumalb Senior IL'ite

This ECTC effect is not at all in our hands... if we say as per your company standards, we are demotivating ourselves, also we are making them estimate our low self-confidence levels. If we ask more we are in for elimination round :)

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  7. sweetyam

sweetyam Silver IL'ite

Hi Sumalb,I think you should tell the truth dnt mention that in your CV but at the time of interview you may tell them.Coz if they need you experience letter and other documents then??How can you arrange current documents.So is always good to tell the truth..May be u dnt get chance in 3-4 times but 5th time you definetly get the opportunity but if you get the job with lie you always feel guilty and insecureness.So i think you have to tell them right thing at the time of interview.
    Well you knows good what exectly you need.Sorry if i heart you.

Yamini

8. NaveenaSasi

NaveenaSasi Gold IL'ite

Hi Suma,

One of my friends had one and half years gap in her career due to her pregnancy and delivery. Later wen she attended interview, she revealed her 1.5 yrs gap only during the last round(HR) and mentioned the reason for it. Since she performed well in the technical, she was selected irrespective of the gap.

Jus an input for u.. U can decide based upon all the replies :) Wishing u all the very best :)

9. radhikaamj

radhikaamj Silver IL'ite

If you mention your gap then you must have very impressive reason for that gap. sometimes they may filter your resume only for this reason without considering your knowledge. so think twice before u decide.

All the best
    Radhika

10. luckyme

luckyme Silver IL'ite

i would say do mention your gap but don't highlight it

you don't need to mention the words directly in the resume. Put your experience along with the timeline and so it will be an indirect mention of the gap which is perfectly fine.

I had lost a yr to recession (v long back though) and did the same. Some companies may not consider you(for variety of reasons known only to them) but most will. I had managed to get a decent job after the gap.

I have been conducting interviews for a few yrs now and personally won't consider the gap as the decision maker. If you have a good skillset and are able to answer the questions satisfactorily, you will get the job without any discrimination. In fact you may be preferred if the requirement is urgent and if you could join immediately.