Restless Legs!

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by Halosandwings, Oct 30, 2016.

1. Halosandwings

Halosandwings Bronze IL'ite

Hi.. I am 18 and half weeks pregnant and last night I developed restless legs.. I massaged my legs. Had some water and able to fall asleep. I would appreciate any tips on reducing restless legs.

Thanks,

Hanlosandwings

2. VeraCynth8

VeraCynth8 New IL'ite

Hi, this sounds like it could be the side effect of a medication to me. I don't want to pry, but you should really talk to your doctor if you're on SSRI's, anti-depressants, or psych meds because it can be very dangerous for both you and the baby if you're having the restless legs symptom.

This is a very common symptom, but it signals that the dose is too high, or that the drug is a bad match for your system and you simply need to be taken off. Actually, the research suggests these kinds of meds are dangerous in pregnancy, anyway - they can cause all kinds of birth defects.

I don't know of anything else that can cause restless legs. If you're not on any medication, I apologize - in that case, it must be a symptom of something else. But you should probably still see your doctor to find out what's causing this.

3. Halosandwings

Hi VeraCynth8,

Thanks for taking time! I am not on any antidepressants. No offence taken :). BTW restless legs is more common in third trimester. Its a little too early to develop at 18 and half weeks.. avoiding caffeine helps.. I am not a regular coffee drinker.

I am hoping to find some more ideas to reduce RLS so it does not get worse as the pregnancy progresses :)

VeraCynth8 likes this.
  4. lalsang123

lalsang123 Bronze IL'ite

Restless legs start from the second trimester and it may also get worsened.. While sitting or standing don't keep your legs crossed.. Whenever possible try to stretch your calf muscles, rotate your ankles and wiggle your toes.. The Restless legs are due to the increasing weight of the baby which your legs feel difficult to bare.. Try to take a warm bath before going to bed so that it may relax your muscles.. You can also relax your leg muscles by using a hot water bag on your calf muscles..

Halosandwings likes this.
  5. Halosandwings

Thanks lalsang123! I will take bath before bed! Thanks for the tips!

6. Shri211

Shri211 Bronze IL'ite

Hi,

I am in my 33rd week and have been having leg pains since last couple of months ...yes it does get bad as pregnancy progresses.

As lalsang mentioned, having a warm bath helps..I also keep my legs a bit elevated by keeping a pillow underneath..my doctor also suggested wearing support stockings,though I never tried one..

Take care!!

7. Halosandwings

Thanks Shri211... I did not have significant nausea or vomiting during my pregnancy... Most of my pregnancy symptoms are musculoskeletal.. I had bad rt hip pain... I used to sit on a cushion. I have graduated from butt pillow for now ;).. Then came back pain... I still use back support at work... Back pain is getting worse.. I have ordered a belt from Amazon this week... I hope it helps.. I will try to keep legs elevated....

8. Shri211

Shri211 Bronze IL'ite

Nice cute lil perks of pregnancy :)
    Yeah belt can help with the back pain..most importantly, don't sleep on your back...I have noticed I always have severe back pain the days I accidentally sleep on my back...
    Take care and enjoy your pregnancy..:)

9. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Ouch. I feel your pain. I had it both times starting at the 17 weeks mark and it got progressively worse. The Ayurvedic oil massage helped a lot. I was India for the second pregnancy and had help. I had to oil massage twice a day to get relief.
    I was told that calcium/potassium levels may be the reason for RLS. My Calcium and Potassium levels were tested and found to be normal. I also was put on calcium supplements and I ate a banana daily for the potassium. I also used a heating pad on my calves after my doc suggested it. Heating pad/warm bath after the oil massage were the only things that helped. I had to keep my feet elevated during my sleep. I used pillows to prop my feet up. It was just more comfortable and less painful that way.

For all aches and pains I used a full body curved pregnancy pillow and it really helped.

It did go away after each pregnancy but even now when I have days where I spend all my time standing, I have the ache at night and keep the oil handy.

Bubbles and Halosandwings like this.
  10. Halosandwings

Thanks!! I try to sleep on side as well!!!