Restaurants in Namma Madras

Discussion in 'Shopping & Restaurants' started by AnithaA, Feb 29, 2008.

1. AnithaA

AnithaA Bronze IL'ite

Hi all,

I love eating outside! It gives me the opportunity to experiment with various flavours. I'm sure there will be some out there who are like me. So I just wanted to post a list of the restaurants in namma Madras, their cuisines, how good they are, etc. This will not only provide a reference to good retaurants but also to the ones we could avoid. So come out ladies and post your list! By the way, the veg opinion is mine and the non-veg opinion is my husband's. (Unless mentioned, the restaurant serves both veg and non-veg) Here is my list:

Little Italy, Nungambakkam - Italian cuisine (Pure Veg): Wonderful service, great food. Their pizzas are simply superb! Once tasted, you will never again like to eat in the Pizza Huts and Corners. Meal for 2 : Rs.800 (Avg).

Don Pepe, Cathedral Road - Mexican : Good service, good food. Their platters are very good. Meal for 2 : Rs. 600 (Avg)

Heaven and Earth, Mount Road - Chinese, Thai : Ok place, food is also ok. Not enough value for money. Meal for 2 : Rs. 600(Avg)

Wang's Kitchen, Adyar - Chinese : Huge quantitites, good food. Value for money! Unfortunately, they don't serve desserts! Meal for 2 : Rs. 300 (Avg)

Sigree, Nungambakkam - North-West Frontier : Excellent food! Their biriyanis (both veg and non-veg) are simply great! The flavour of the food here is something to be experienced. Meal for 2 : Rs. 700 (Avg)

Kabul, TTK Road - North-West Frontier : Ok food. As we went here after tasting food at Sigree, we were not satisfied. Not enough value for money. Meal for 2 : Rs. 600 (Avg)

Mainland China, Nungambakkam - Chinese : Good food, excellent service. Not very spicy like the normal indian-chinese retaurants. Their chocolate wraps(dessert) are a sinful delight! Meal for 2 : Rs. 800 (Avg)

Ponnusamy, Egmore - Indian : It is renowned as THE place for non-veg. Looks like they have the best non-veg stuff in town. But trust me, I have had some of the best veg dishes here. Their "tandoori parotta" is simply superb! Meal for 2 : Rs. 300 (Avg)

Balaji Bhavan, Pondy Bazar - Indian(Pure Veg) : Used to be very good. Still ok for a quick snack or so. But the place needs to be renovated...... the A/C halls especially. Their "thayir vadai" is very good. Meal for 2 : Rs.150 (Avg)

Hot Chips, Pondy Bazar - Namma tiffin and Chaat(Pure Veg) : Tiffin there is ok. But their Chaat is very good. I still don't get to eat Behl Puri like they make there anywhere else!

Sangeetha, Adyar - Indian (Pure Veg) : Great food here. It is always a bit crowded though! Meal for 2 : Rs. 300 (Avg)

Comfort Inn, Egmore - Mostly Indian : Their buffets are simply great! It has become so popular now that you need to make reservations in advance. Value for money too. Buffet for one : Rs. 250 (maybe 225, I don't remember)

Ascendas, Tidal Park - A lot of cuisines : Very crowded. Quality of your food depends on which outlet you pick your food from. They have Chinese, Norht Indian, South Indian, Fast food and others. The icecream at the icecream parlour there is great but very heavy on the pocket!

Dhaba, Alwarpet - North Indian : Nice place to eat. Their jalebis are very good! Food is good too. Meal for 2 : Rs. 300 (Avg)

Raj Bhavan, Purasaiwakam - Indian(Pure Veg) : Their sambhar is simply delicious! Very economical and very tasty food. Meal for 2 : Rs. 100 (Avg)

New Yorkers, Nungambakkam - Sprinkling of Italian, Lebanese, American : Ok food. Not on my hit list! Meal for 2 : Rs. 400 (Avg)

Sparky's Diner, Chetpet - American(well what they borrowed from the Europeans) : Food is good. The place is fun! The decorations are really different. And their burgers aren't like the teeny weeny ones you get at Marrybrown. Man are they huge! Meal for 2 : Rs. 600 (Avg)

Ok folks, thats my list for now. If I have forgotten any other restaurant, I will post them later. By the way, I have not mentioned the pizza outlets and Saravana bhavans as they are all too common. Hope you folks post more restaurants.........I will sure honour them with my presence(if I have not already done so) ;-)

Regards,
    Anitha

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2009
    4 people like this.

2. Bhooma

Bhooma Bronze IL'ite

I never knew "Rain Tree" existed so close to home .. right opposite ICICI Bank ( next to Rajalkashmi towers ) in Adyar ... the continental food is too good .. I could make a meal of the salads that they serve there.. Meal for two cost me Rs 600.

Cream Centre - St Marys Road -- go there .. if you have already had a bite to eat at home.. the wait is long. Food is good . But slightly on the higher side.

Benjarong at Alwarpet ? -- If you are the type who prefers Thai cuisine, I would recommend this place for you . The veg dishes is simply out of this world. I could describe quite a few .. .. they are all yummy :)

( note :- I have never dared to take anyone for a meal here !! its way beyond my budget:)

Sachin Ka Dhaaba - some like it , some dont ...

Raintree - their buffet is good , but would recommend only for very good eaters.. otherwise you dont do justice to the hole that is burnt in your purse.
    oh yes ..dont forget the coffee day at Venkatratnam nagar... the Aperitif is good . and ofcourse the 'oh so expensive' Cup and Saucer .. is it cups and saucers?? next to Nuts and Spices .

For non veggies . I have heard Kumarakom is very good .

happy dining ..
    Bhooma

Last edited: Mar 1, 2008
  3. Sujimallige

Sujimallige Bronze IL'ite

I am not a native of chennai but had visited once for my visa stamping.

Near the US visa consulate there were 2 Saravana Bhavans...one was fast food and the other restaurant style.We just loved the restaurant.They serve food in silver ware and the taste was extra ordinary.
    Slightly on the upper side of price but it was worth every penny.

I dont know when i can visit chennai again and taste that awesome food...:drool

4. sujakalyan

sujakalyan Silver IL'ite

hi anitha,

thanks for info abt these restaurants, keep posting more n more!!

5. AnithaA

AnithaA Bronze IL'ite

Dear Bhooma,

Will certainly try Rain Tree. It is on my untried list......will let you know when I visit it. Will try Benjarong too.....heard it was way too expensive, so waiting for the right occasion(then my husband can claim the bill :-D )

Regards,
    Anitha

6. AnithaA

AnithaA Bronze IL'ite

Dear Suj(if I may call you like that),

Thanks a lot for your reply. That reminds me of another restaurant in Nungambakkam serving continental cuisine. The food is good and so is the ambiance. Its been some time since I've been there, so forgot its name. It is right above the Bang & Olufsen showroom in Nungambakkam (near Cafe Mocha). Meal for two will cost around Rs.700.

Will keep posting. Do let me know if you know about any other good eateries.

Regards,
    Anitha

7. AnithaA

AnithaA Bronze IL'ite

Dear Sujimallige,

If you loved Saravana Bhavan they you will love Sangeetha in Adyar even more. You might want to give it a shot when you come to Chennai next time. My only complaint with Saravana Bhavans is that though they maintain their standard, their portions have become too little of late. Anyway, happy eating wherever you are!

Regards,
    Anitha

8. Meenaneelakantan

Meenaneelakantan Bronze IL'ite

Hi

There is a restaurant 'Aishwarya' in GST road (airport road). Its in between 'Trident' n 'Raddison'..Its a drive in restaurant. Ground floor you have Adyar Anandha Bhavan, Noodle king, Pizza hut, Fruit shop, In and Out...and 'Aishwarya' restaurant is in the first floor. As it is situated in the busy area, it is always crowded. Aishwarya's special dosa's are yummmmmy.....

9. Nivedi

Nivedi New IL'ite

Jus Parathas on Peters Road, Royapettah (New College Complex) is good.

10. AnithaA

AnithaA Bronze IL'ite

Dear Nivedi,

Thanks a lot for the info. Will sure try it when the mood to eat outside hits me. :)

Regards,
    Anitha