Resources For Young Adult With Special Needs

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by blindpup10, Jan 22, 2017.

1. momsky

momsky Gold IL'ite

I suggested painting, photography, etc . so that your cousin can express his emotions and creativity without being scrutinized or criticized. At least this way, he will feel accomplished in his own way; will help boost his confidence; and later on, be his own boss. Once he excels, then his family should help him monetize his artwork through licensing and commission (attending b2b trade shows, Etsy, etc). His family should still work on his people and communication skills at the same time, so when they're gone your cousin can maintain his way of living.

I really wish the best outcome for your cousin. Please read more about Mixed Expressive-Receptive Language Disorder. It is like a mixed of Dyslexia and speech disorder.

Symptoms
    The child does not have problems with the pronunciation of words, which is found in phonological disorder . The child does, however, have problems constructing coherent sentences, using proper grammar, recalling words, or similar communication problems. A child with mixed receptive-expressive language disorder is not able to communicate thoughts, needs, or wants at the same level or with the same complexity as his or her peers. In addition, the child often has a smaller vocabulary than his or her peers.

Children with mixed receptive-expressive language disorder also have significant problems understanding what other people are saying to them. This lack of comprehension may result in inappropriate responses or failure to follow directions. Some people think these children are being deliberately stubborn or obnoxious, but this is not the case. They simply do not understand what is being said. Some children with this disorder have problems understanding such specific types of terms as abstract nouns, complex sentences, or spatial terms.

sindmani and blindpup10 like this.
  2. ashima10

ashima10 Platinum IL'ite

@blindpup10 no advises for you but lots of prayers for your cousin and family.

Amica likes this.
  3. blindpup10

blindpup10 Platinum IL'ite

Momsky- once again great pointers. I never thought about it in the way you have described. Its a great way to get my cousin reintroduced into the society.

momsky likes this.
  4. blindpup10

Aww thanks a lot ashima. Hugs

5. sindmani

sindmani Platinum IL'ite

Its an old thread. Did this brother get any help from psychologist.

Amica likes this.
  6. blindpup10

Yes! he did. Don't remember all the details. How the intervention went. But there was loads and loads of family drama involving tears, not talking and finally helping my cousin to get a job.
    Not sure, if the family actually diagnosed his mental health. But I know he is working and saving.

7. joylokhi

joylokhi Platinum IL'ite

"But I know he is working and saving."
    This is itself great to hear. If he is working and able to manage a job, there is nothing better. Appreciate your care and concern through all this.
    I have a brother with all the same issues, but due to bad company he keeps(he is living alone ever since my parents passed away) , It has been impossible to bring him around. He does not hold on to any job and is constantly after my other brother and me to provide him for his upkeep, and which we continue to do, knowing it will not help in the long run. But, we have failed in all attempts to set him right and he is around 53 years now!. Our main worry is what will happen to him once we are no more. Upto now, he considers it his right to be cared for by us, and oonly makes demands and rather threatens us too. But we continue to support knowing he will not hesitate to beg, borrow or steel if his demands are not met, and that would lead to bigger issues!.
    Sorry for hijacking your thread, but can anyone suggest how we can secure his future financially without handing over the right to him at his stage, as he empties out his bank account the minute we deposit, irrespective of amount and makes further demands!