1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Requiring Teachers To Go Back To In-person Classes?

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by Rihana, May 4, 2021.

1. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

Don't know how I missed this topic!! I am a parent at the School District in question and while I had preferred distance learning for my children, I absolutely understood the demand for at least some in-person instruction from other parents, especially when teachers were given vaccine priority. Nextdoor and other facebook groups had some very heated discussions around this, with some teachers demanding that their families (and) families of students also be vaccinated before they could return to school. This wasn't a demand even from the frontline/healthcare workers. Every other SD around the county had opened and the teacher's union kept trying to bargain on issues like wanting to remove SROs from schools, and other random things, issues that weren't even related to school reopening. This lead to some teachers calling out parents who wanted to open the schools entitled, and tried to project the parents as a set of rich immigrant parents who were blind to the plight of minority students who might be over policed due to potential misbehavior stemming from pandemic induced trauma. The school board meetings were pretty intense, until one day when the SD decided to walk away from the negotiation table. The stalemate also led to the SD losing out on much needed $$$.

The Teachers' Union completely lost credibility amidst parents and the opinion of a lot of parents was that the Union was basically holding the children ransom for some larger political agenda. Coincidentally, the TU President and her husband, who also holds office in one of the School Associations, both have aspirations for political office.

Rihana likes this.
  2. Hopikrishnan

Hopikrishnan Platinum IL'ite

3. Hopikrishnan

Hopikrishnan Platinum IL'ite

Vitamin D3 (~2000 microgram dose/day for a grownup), and Zinc 30mg./day are recommended prophylactics even for those who have had 2 doses of vaccine, and had to go and face a class room full of unvaccinated children. Wearing masks, washing hands, and avoiding close contact with others are all good as well.

The following video starts off with a reference that you may not like... but after that it gets good.