1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Requiring Teachers To Go Back To In-person Classes?

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by Rihana, May 4, 2021.

1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Today is the start of teacher appreciation week, so I thought of asking moms here their opinion:

Parents in a school district in the SFO bay area have been threatening to sue a school district because the school district is not resuming in-person classes.

Parents Threaten to Sue Fremont Unified Over School Reopening Plan

About 20-30 days of instruction remain in the school year. The school district decided to continue online-only classes and will resume in-person classes only in fall after the summer break.

Parents are very upset with the district's decision as children have been attending online school for more than a year now. Teachers and school staff got priority in Covid vaccines and were eligible by February itself. The teachers union and management could not come to an agreement on some issues like one-time increase in pay, class room air circulation improvement etc.

Question - Is it fair to require teachers to go back to in-person teaching when there are only 20-30 days of school remaining?

deepthyanoop likes this.

2. Rihana

My kids are much older and I am not directly impacted so I have mixed feelings about this. I can understand parents want to get kids back in school already.

But, I think the teachers also have a point. They adapted to online teaching at extremely short notice and with zero training. They got through the online school year from August to March. I don't think it is fair to now require them to go back to school and have some students in class. The thing is that not all students go back to in-person classes. So, teachers have to continue to do the online teaching as well as manage some students in the classroom. Why make the teachers go through this avoidable stress when school is ending in a few weeks?

deepthyanoop and KashmirFlower like this.
  3. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

Teachers got vaccination but kids not. So risk is there for kids and Teachers have responsibility of keeping kids socially distanced, all wearing masks.

4. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

With all the new variants going around I don’t blame anyone for being cautious even after vaccination. Kids are not vaccinated and come from a variety of home environments with different degrees of exposures. Teachers have no control over any of this.
    These same parents will be the first to start shrieking if their kid ends up with Covid.

5. Rihana

That too. We are still not out of the woods yet. Teachers not only have to teach some children who are attending online, they have to manage those in class as well as ensure kids are following pandemic regulations. As if managing a roomful of kids was not a tough job to begin with.
    The news first caught my attention a few weeks ago because an article had Indian names and pictures of Indian looking kids holding microphones and protesting the continued online schooling.

Even though they restrict the students in each classroom to the same set and students do not mingle with other sets, they come from a variety of home environments.

There was a heated discussion in our local group. One dad blamed the teachers unions for spoiling the student's school year that could be salvaged with at least some days of in-person instruction. He said, "if their job depends on it and they will be fired for not showing up to work, all will quietly stop the drama and show up to work."

I couldn't get how much the students benefit by going to school where they have to remain in one classroom the entire day and still attend classes through Zoom. The only difference is that instead of a parent monitoring the child and fixing any technical issues, the school staff does that.

KashmirFlower likes this.
  6. Angela123

Angela123 Gold IL'ite

I was all in for online learning when COVID hit our area hard. But now after a year and a few months into it, I just can't decide. Things are different here where I live. We have in person school since October. Teachers were teaching from school even when kids were all online. Then slowly all the kids got back into school. Now majority are in person with social distancing. Zoom classes have only assignments no instructions. But teachers have help hours which helps kids to ask questions get help on the material. With that change, online school was just not working for us. Kids having no vaccine for now and younger one going to daycare everyday, the question was how long to keep older one at home? I also go to work in person.

Now kids ride school bus socially distanced, use sanitizer getting in and out of the bus and while at school. Have socially distanced PE times, recess, and lunch. wearing mask all times. For recess when they are outdoor, kids do not need to keep mask on. It is different times, everyone is working through this, not knowing when this will end. So far DD has been in school for only 2 months. It is not enough to tell about any effects, but I feel better than I was before. We have strict protocols when coming home too. But sometimes I feel, we are just being lucky. All in all I feel it was a good decision of teachers coming back to work. Once in a while we hear people tested positive at school and are in quarantine. It has become normal part of our life now.

Last edited: May 4, 2021
    Rihana and KashmirFlower like this.
  7. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear Rihana,

I don't know if the said school district was completely online. In most of the places I know (or where I have freinds), options have been given to parents to choose and all teachers have to go to school - even zoom classes are being held from school. So based on that, I don't know if it is fair or unfair question as much as "Is it possble for teachers to do in person for just a month or so of school". I say only because it falls on the schools' administration to get the buidlings ready, buses ready, have protocols in place for various drills, this and that etc especially if teachers have been doing only zoom and are expecting students to fill classrooms suddenly. Parents were given a choice to switch to inperson every quarter or so. School districts that I know of, that went completely online also resumed with optional inperson/online choices but they started the process almost in March! At this point, it may not be possible for schools to do inperson suddenly especially if there have been union issues. Teachers may not have much say..........perhaps fall it is! I do agree that it is better for students but...how prepared are the schools?

So looks like I have no answer to your question other than saying, most teachers prefer student interaction :)

8. Rihana

I think all kids getting back to school is key. Expecting teachers to cater to both online students and in-person students at the same time is not fair, IMO. If teachers have to do that, then they deserve some compensation like a one time allowance or something.

Angela123 likes this.
  9. Rihana

Question - in your area, if students opt for in-person, when they go to school, do they still attend the classes online?

10. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Not just my area,
    but for most other friends and family, it was either inperson or online. In person students did not take any online classes - on occasion like when teachers had to take vaccinations, in person students had to do online classes.

Rihana and deepthyanoop like this.