Require pointers for Room share in London

Discussion in 'Indians in London' started by Mahi2407, Jan 12, 2007.

1. Mahi2407

Mahi2407 New IL'ite

Hi Every One,
    Happy New Year to all.
    Nice to see our Indians marking their presence globally and also helping others for the same. By the way, I will be coming to London by this month end from Hyderabad, India for a period of atleast 6 months and i am looking for a room share. Please, Any one of you, can provide me with some references that would help me in finding a good room and room mate?

Thanking you all advance,

Best Regards,
    Mahi.

2. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Hi Mahi,

Happy New year! Are you going to live in London as a student or as a working woman? If as student, I can give you the details of the Student Hall where we stayed. It is a very comfortable place (self contained flats) run by the Buckingham Trust.

If going for work, the only info I have is check the Loot paper for rentals.

3. Mahi2407

Mahi2407 New IL'ite

Hi Vidya

Thanks for your response.
    I am going to live in London as a working man.
    Could you please let me know the details of Loot paper for rentals?

Thanking you in advance,

Cheers,
    Mahi.

4. palak

palak New IL'ite

hi vidya

Hi Vidya,

I was just reading about your pointers for renting place in London. I would also be coming to London towards June or July with my toddler. Just wanted to know if u can guide me regarding the weather from August onwards, particularly what kind of clothes I need to carry for myself and my baby and also if u have any information about toddler pre-school system. How easy or difficult is it to get a two-bedroom flat in or around central London and how can I go about securing a place for rent before I come?
    I m sorry if I m troubling u too much but since I have a kid with me, I just need to be well-prepared. Will be thankful if u can help me out or if u can put me in touch with someone who can help me with my queries.

Thanks.
    Palak :-D

5. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

mahi & palak

Hello Palak and Mahi,

Thanks for your posts.

Mahi- sorry for delay in replying. My cousin is leaving for London today for employment, with his family. So I was trying to get some details from him, on how he is house hunting for professionals.

For those on work, they have to stay a day or more in the hotel or guest house and then fix up their own accommodation. (Unless yr company will do it for u). He says that most flats go immediately, so it is not easy to get a landlord to commit for a time in advance.(It is not impossible, but harder). My friend working for Credit Suisse also has the same experience. She came to London, got Loot and other pprs,looked up rentals and moved into a flat in three days.

Palak, if u r a student, u have some options to pre-arrange yr accommodation in London before u leave. But if u r also working, u need to work round the sitn.

I also reached London in August. I was then totally unused to cold, so found even August chilly. For August, a thin pullover and another thick pullover would be more than enough. I am sure u will have socks etc. For the baby, dont forget to get good thermals from India. If the inner layer in snug, they feel better. I have seen most moms, dress their toddlers with many layers even in August. I guess you will want to do the same. Keep the clothes at hand, and use. If lucky,u can even take the baby barefooted with just a romper in August. But London weather is very unpredicatble.

Try to get the last,outer layer to be water proof, since it drizzles often. For toddlers, a park suit is advisable, so that they can play in the many,many parks,get dirty and be cleaned at home easily.

Abt schooling, I dont know much. The toddlers we knew went to a play school, I think it was called Reception there. Reception before formal schooling starts.

There are good day care centres, nanny service at home.Nannies are usually East European, South american etc, of course can be otherwise too. If u stay in an Indian area like East London,Harrow,Wembley,Alpertonton- u will have Indian nannies.

One small tip that I would advise both of u- in choosing accommodation, try to get a flat preferably on the same tube line as your work. If not, try to ,limit to one change over. The reason being this makes commuting easier during winter and rush hours. I know this is very obvious, but I learnt it the hard way.

Try also to choose accomodation that is well insulated. Heating bills can be insidious. Keep an eye on council and other taxes when rent is quoted to u. All these lessons that we learnt the hard way.

Palak,if u r going as a student, pls let me know. I have the address of the place where I lived. It is plumb in the heart of London. Everything was close and we had a wonderful stay. They will give preference to a student with a baby.

Any more details, pls feel free to ask. I will answer as I know.

regards and good luck
    Vidya

6. palak

palak New IL'ite

thanks Vidya

:) Dear Vidya,

Thank you for replying so patiently to all my queries. I am responding so late 'cause my parents were visiting and I was tied up with travel, shopping and the usual stuff that happens when your parents come after a long time. Thanks for your reference of that place too. I don't know when we will be finally moving, it may take a couple of months. Once that gets finalised, I'll ask for the address.
    I have bought a few sweaters, sweatshirts etc for my toddler and closer to date will buy thermals also.
    One more question Vidya, can we use Indian appliances like a rice cooker, food processor etc. with an adapter in London? In which case, it may make sense for me to ship these things from here.
    Once again thanks, and wishing you a happy Chinese New Year!:)

Bye for now,
    Palak

7. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Hi Palak,

Glad that you found my answers useful. Dont worry abt getting back late, and don't hesitate to ask more!

Yes, London follows 220volts, flat pin. So, we can use Indian made appliances with adaptor. I am sure you will be carrying most kitchen vessels, pressure cooker, cutlery etc-they can all be expensive in UK.

Also, a good idea to take warm duvets(razais). They are rather pricey and often contain synthetic filling. Nothing to beat our Indian made razais. Same with towels- prices way too high.

Pls feel free to ask. I will also request Pravina in IL (you will find her in the Gujrati recipes section) to look at your questions. Pravina has been living in London for long and she is really friendly and helpful, without being intrusive.

affly
    Vidya

8. palak

palak New IL'ite

Dear Vidya,

Thank you for helping me with all these small but important details. Good you told me about the duvets and towels. I think I'll carry the bath and kitchen linen from here, depending of course on how much stuff I can ship. Vidya, I'm very keen to find out the details about pre-schools (or reception as u told me) in London. Will be grateful if u can put me in touch with someone who can guide me from experience.

I've lately started feeling a bit embarrased asking you nothing but questions on my mails. Would love to know u better a a person. I know u r very warm and helpful (and prompt in replying :) ). What are your interests? I love to read, listen to music and also cook (depending on my toddler's mood). I like to try different cuisines. I used to dance a lot (being a Punjabi it comes naturally :-D ) before my baby was born. Now it's mostly restricted to Sangeet at family weddings.

Thanks once again for all your help.

Love,
    Palak

9. ceci_anu

ceci_anu New IL'ite

Have u found a room and a job and are u still in search of a room?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2009
  10. Sindhurao

Sindhurao Gold IL'ite

Just a post to inform that email ids in your post is automatically treated as spam and thereby your post is not displayed in the thread however relevant.
    The best way to exchange messages would be to make quality posts in various forums and get to 50+ posts. With that one gets to send private messages within Indusladies.

Regards
    Sindhu