1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Requesting Opinions

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by victory1, Jul 13, 2016.

1. victory1

victory1 Senior IL'ite

Hello,

My wife brought up the topic of having a second kid. I am not ready for another child. I am mainly concerned about the financial security of the family. Having a kid is a big responsibility. I like kids very much and even I wish to have another one but I am also thinking as a father/husband if I would be able to give a good environment(physically, financially) to the kids and wife. With another kid we will not be able to save much and expenses will also be a bit more. We would have to make some change in our lifestyle. As such we don't spend lavishly but still I do not want to be in a position where in future I am not able to provide a good life to both the kids. That is my main concern.

As mentioned in my previous posts she was crying, shouting when I gave the reasons. I in a calm manner explained all the financial commitments we have. She on the other hand said with two kids both of them will grow well and having a sibling is good. She also says everybody else is having two kids. I told her I don't care what everybody is doing. I told her I like kids too but we should also think if we can afford to have another one with keeping our lifestyle/savings as is, She said I value money more than kids but I don't know how else to convey what my concerns are. We left it at that.

Has anybody been in such a situation with you or your spouse not ready for a second kid? How did you/your spouse convince to have/not have a second child?

2. blindpup10

blindpup10 Platinum IL'ite

@victory1 :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:
    Almost Similar Situation- my husband is kinda being peer pressured and even his parents are hinting about the second child. I just finished with the whole child bearing thing and have been coming to terms with the new identity of being a new mother.
    Although, I would like to have an other child. I gave 2 strong reasons- why we should wait
    1. The attention for the first child will automatically decrease. (Both my husband and I were the older sibling, we have faced less attention from our parents when our siblings were born)
    2. The household responsibility which comes with the second child is much harder. You will have to pitch in with household and your wife maybe tired after running around with kids all day.

I agree financially one has to be equipped to go through. But this is the reason I gave my husband to think about before we decide to have another child.

Hope this helps. Goodluck.

3. monkatpeace87

monkatpeace87 Silver IL'ite

Ur wife is thinking with her heart and u wirh ur mind. now both u guys are correct at ur respective opinions. Kids can be very heavy financial commitment.

First thing is, is ur wife working?? If not u have tell her to start working.

Invest in something which wil have good returns in 2 to 3 years time.

Postpone having the kid by 2 to 3 years. Even ur wife is in the 30s doesn't matter. She can have kids.

Don't tell her that we will not have kids, tell her we will postpone it by few years.

4. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

Two factors u might want to factor in.Age (DWs and urs) and the age of ur first one. Sadly many times when the 'perfect time' comes along..it might be a tad too late .

deeprapriya, SGBV and Sairindhri like this.
  5. poovai

poovai Platinum IL'ite

This is very touchy subject. The answer may vary depends whom you are asking....
    I am an empty-Nester for awhile...enjoying life :banana:after our son left home. Having one kid seems to be enough in my view.

I agree that money would be tight if we have to send the 2nd kid to an expensive school. We are comfortable in saving towards our retirement and spending money now, without counting the expanses.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2016
    sindmani likes this.
  6. victory1

victory1 Senior IL'ite

Thanks, she is not working, first one will be 5 shortly. I think it is unfair on the first child if I'll have to cut back on what I am doing for her now when I have another kid and vice versa. I want to give whatever best I can to atleast one kid and have resources to support ourselves after retirement.

7. StrongLady

StrongLady Silver IL'ite

Dear Op,

I have not been giving any suggestions but looking at ur post I couldn't stop.

Your wife is absolutely correct and u don't have any valid point to prove her wrong. Even if u force in future entire life u will blame urself for yr decision.

Just answer me u r talking abt financial security but how about the main breathing element for ur kid i.e love which will be missing.
    Who will ur kid have after u and ur wife leave the world.
    How will ur obe kid alonw take care of u and ur wife when u both are old.

My 2 best friends for 12 yrs are single kids and am asking u based on whst I saw with them. Her mom stays with her after dad died. She cried every day that will be an orphan if something happens to mom.

sangeethakripa likes this.
  8. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

For each their own.. I respect yours and others decision on this sensitive matter. However, here goes my personal opinion.

Me and my H are the first born kids in our respective families. We have never felt we were kind of ignored or neglected after the arrival of our sibling. For both, our siblings matter the most. We have great bonding with our siblings, and feel fullfilled with them. Our siblings are our biggest strength and our best friends so far.
    Even after their marriage, and kids our siblings remain the best supporters to us.
    More importantly, they are the best uncles, and aunts to our kids... Our kids are showered by their extended relative's love; thus it feels our kids have a second home at their uncle's or aunt's place if at all something very bad happened to us (God bless us).
    This is the feeling that stressed me, rather forced me to want a sibling to my son when he was 2. His sister was born when he was 2.9 yrs.
    Now he is 5, and his sister is 2+. Both share a great bonding together and it reminds us all the childhood sweet times with our own siblings.
    Personally I feel my son couldn't have any better gift than his sister. He would have felt so lonely and looked for a company elsewhere if she is not around. Specially when many of his friends have siblings.

Having a second kid is definitely expensive, a lot of work, etc..etc.. Just like having a kid into your newly wedded life. A kid, whether it is first or second would definitely change your equation. But it has positive sides too.
    Depending on what you need, is the way to decide

sindmani, sslkgpaa, Sunrise and 3 others like this.
  9. deeprapriya

deeprapriya Gold IL'ite

OP,

Its up to everybody's own interest as it is a sensitive issue.... However, here are my two cents.

My husband was exactly saying the same, We should give all we earn to one kid, (We both are working). Our DD should be well settled in life. - this was his thought.

I persuaded him, with the below points.

• I have 3 brothers and my husband has 1. When we all will get together it will be a real fun. So somebody should be there for our DD too after us. DD cant share everything with us, she needs a sibling.
    • Friends are not equal to siblings. Kids will always engage well with their age mates, not with parents always.
    • Finance - yes, there will be an issue, but lets live a contented life. We decided, lets give them best in education(ofcourse, what kids like). But I am sure ,we will be able to give reasonable savings to them.
    Finally my DH agreed, but since we have some primary issues, we postponed 2nd kid for 1 more year considering our age too. This decision was taken 2 years back.

sangeethakripa and vrikshakadali like this.
  10. sangeethakripa

sangeethakripa Gold IL'ite

Adding to stronglady, SGBV & deeprapriya, I, being a single child, have felt the pinch of being a loner. I miss my own siblings in spite of cousins. Financially my parents have given a secured future but I lack support for my emotional needs and at crucial time. My mother understood this when she was a grandparent and suggested me to have my second child at the right time. Of course we do face the financial crunches and physical exertion but learning to balance between both kids is for their mutual support in future.

sindmani likes this.