Reputation System - Celebrating "Friendly & Helpful" IL'ites!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Induslady, Feb 23, 2009.

1. Induslady

Induslady Administrator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear IL’ites

Our community members have always been “Friendly & Helpful” in their posts. Today, we are announcing the “Reputation System” that lets the community members encourage each other to be so.

Here is how it works..

• Every post will now have a reputation icon on the top right.
    • When members find a post as "Friendly and Helpful", they can give reputation points to that post. Only members who have received at least 2 reputation points will be able to give reputation to posts.
    • As members accumulate reputation points, they move through various reputation levels
    • The system is designed to be anonymous. The recipient of the reputation will not know who gave them reputation.
    Reputation points, Reputation power and Reputation level?

This is best explained by an example. If Kajal has 22 reputation points..

• Her reputation points is 22
    • Her reputation power is 11 (Members get 1 reputation power for every two reputation points they receive)
    • Her reputation level is 2 (Very Good Poster)
    • When Kajal adds reputation to Simi's post, Simi's reputation points increase by 11.
    Reputation levels
    • Level 0 (Yet to Receive Reputation) - 0 reputation points
    • Level 1 (Good Poster) ---------------- 1-10 reputation points
    • Level 2 (Very Good Poster) ---------- 10-25 reputation points
    • Level 3 (Excellent Poster) ------------ 25-50 reputation points
    • Level 4 (Outstanding Poster) --------- 50+ reputation points
    Starting Reputation points

• To begin with, super moderators, forum moderators, Greeters and local champions start with 2 reputation points i.e. a reputation power of 1.
    • All members start with a 0 reputation points. You need to receive 2 reputation points to get 1 reputation power. Then you can start giving out reputation.
    Seeing Reputation Statistics

• Your reputation level will be shown using the square icon on the top right of your posts. If you move your mouse over the icon, it will indicate your reputation level.
    • You can see your total reputation points and also your posts that got reputation by going to UserCP (see screenshot below)
    • You cannot see who gave you reputation.
    ----------- Reputation System View.jpg

Please ask below if you have any questions. We will make changes over the next few weeks as we see how this system evolves. We hope that by using this system judiciously, you will help make Indusladies.com the most "Friendly and Helpful" woman's community on the internet!

Best!

2. Lalitha Shivaguru

Lalitha Shivaguru Platinum IL'ite

Dear Malathy,

This is real good news.

Let me ask you one basic and stupid question.... how is this going to help the members? Is it like posts count where we have some privileges to this? Or is it just to know how the member's reputation is?

I know this is quite stupid of me to ask this but it is eating my head...

3. Induslady

Hi Lalitha,

It helps members because we think this system will encourage members to make "Friendly and Helpful" posts. When the community is filled with "Friendly and Helpful" posts, every member benefits.

As of now, it is just a visible system for recognizing members who make "Friendly and Helpful" posts. I want to see how this develops over the next few weeks. Then we can definitely introduce more privileges for members with higher reputation, contests etc. Everything is possible.

4. Jithiks

Jithiks Gold IL'ite

Malathy,

Does this mean the members need to receive reputation from Moderators/Champions/greeters before they start adding reputation to others?

Since members start at '0 points' they can start adding only if they are given reputation by Moderators/Champions/Greeters, right?

5. Induslady

Krithika,

Yes, in order to kick start the system, we have set all Greeters / FMs / LCs with some initial reputation power. As they come across "Friendly and Helpful" posts (even the older posts), they will add reputation(keeping the post in mind, not the poster!).

Soon, the engine will sustain itself. Then all reputed members will be able to leave reputation to more members, those making "friendly and helpful" posts (again keeping the post in mind, not the poster!).

6. JustAni

JustAni Silver IL'ite

Induslady,

I was thinking about what this strange icon is & NOW I know.

A brillant way to get people to post a good post & help others. :thumbsup

7. malspie

malspie Platinum IL'ite

Hi Malathy,

What does the green button against my name show - Have I received reputation from others?

If yes, then I should be able to add reputation to others, isn't it.

I have to click on the square of the member and it will get added, is it.

There will be no message appearing saying, your reputation vote has been added etc... as it flashes when we add ratings to the thread!

How should I make sure, my reputation vote is added to the members account.

8. Laxmi

Laxmi Administrator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Hi Malspie,
    Allow me to answer on behalf of Malathy.
    Yes, you are correct the green button says that you have received reputation points and you will be able to add one to other members who are worthy of the same.
    Local Champions were given the points initially to kick start the system.

As mentioned in this post, you can add reputation to others by clicking the Reputation icon reputation.gif in the post.

Hope this clarifies.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2009
  9. Induslady

Dear All,

We notice that some of you have already started using this "reputation system". Thank you for being so ready to use anything new we introduce here.

Just wanted to re-iterate the following points:

1. You need to wait to leave reputation for others, until you have received reputation in the first place.

2. How to find out whether you have received reputation?
    You will see the green square below the right top corner of your posts.
    You can also check within your usercp more about reputations you received.

3. If you try leaving a reputation before you received one for yourself, it is NOT going to be of any value.

4. When you receive a reputation, you get reputation point. For every 2 reputation points you received, you also gain a reputation power (that enables you to leave reputation for others).

5. How do you leave a reputation?
    Click on the "weighing pan" symbol on top right corner of the post (next to permalink) and you should be able to leave reputation (but remember to leave only after you have received for yourself).

The more "friendly and helpful" you are the more valuable is your reputation. Leave reputation to the post that has been friendly and/or helpful, without the poster in mind! Remember this is an anonymous system!

10. latamurali

latamurali Gold IL'ite

Dear Malathy

Actually i was in confusion all these days whether to ask like this or not, i read the rules carefully and i totally agree with you and this is such a wonderful system, as you say , every member will get benefit out of it

But, as per rules, common ladies can start giving reputation to others only if they recieve reputation , my point is , if nobody gives reputation to me ...for long time (.this is just for an example ) and at the same time , if i would like to LEAVE REPUTATION for others, then how can i do , should i wait till i receive repuation or any other way

Sorry, if i sound stupid

Last edited: Mar 4, 2009