Reposting Reg Query On Engineering College In Chennai

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by amoarsh, Oct 23, 2016.

1. amoarsh

amoarsh Bronze IL'ite

hi chennai ilites,

Need your help.

As the title suggests, I need info about the engineering colleges in chennai. By now many of the parents kids would have entered in to different college. My few questions are as follows if you all could answer

1. What are the good engineering college for NRIs in chennai or nearby.
    2. Is it good to put the kid in hostel .
    3. What difference does it make if it is a Deemed college or otherwise.
    4. Is it added advantage to write jee , sat exams.
    5. What is the main criteria you check befor checking any engineering college.

Thanks in advance.

2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

3. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

There are too many engg colleges.
    Go the nri way.there is more chance for nri from gulf and fees is reasonable. Last few years there are many who are entering through dasa route.
    Why not. The kid learns to move with all. But again many kids go to the nri hostel and the treatment is special.
    A regular hostel with people from all stratas can bring the kid to learn and appreciate more.
    Nothing more than usp. Deemed has its own rules.affliated follows the rules and regulations of the afliation.
    Some of the deemed are preferred after anna university. Vit ,bits and shivanadar in 2016. Next amrita and sastra. It mainly depends on what are your priorities and affordability. (Quoting from the preferences that i saw in my son's batch this year). Many preferred discipline and control more than other things and went to sastra too
    Gives an edge and opens more options.however you are still an nri applicant.
    My kids did not want engg. But if it was a choice i would look up reviews for lab,faculty, how kids fared without depending on campus placements. My other suggestion don't fall prey to the usp campus placements.look up for what previous batches have achieved.
    At the end college matters only to a certain extent.(brand matters only so far) it is the passion hardwork and how the kid makes it work for him. One place i would look at for pointers is quora.that is where my son got in touch with his seniors some were really helpful to decide the institution where he is now. He had a few on his list and this narrowed it to two and then one.(but again that was easy because of the limited places where his course was available) Ask your son to do it. Let him get back to you with details. Be the support and guide .

Allthe best

4. Sparkle

Sparkle Platinum IL'ite

@Shanvy said everything you could do. Adding to it, almost all engineering colleges have a facebook page. When you are narrowing your options down, ask your kid to join the specific page for the college to get in touch with seniors and know more. Some pages are for freshers seeking admission or have already got the joining date.
    Hope it helps!

About JEE and SAT exams, depends on how far away is your kid from joining college. These exams are very tough to crack and need years of preparation. But they are worth the effort.

There are too many colleges coming up, so one important things is to check if the college is accredited.

5. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

@Sparkle joining a college fb is not that worth. You can just message them pvtly (gt in touch with few this way) after watching posts on the college page. The genuine college pages have great reviews during admission times. And you don't wnat to be too close to a senior before joining on a college page.

And the response on queries on college draws mixed response. I am not a fan of fb. We did create one anon for the very purpose.

I liked quora a lot more. I was blindly iit fan until i went through some of the responses in general. Opened my eyes on what is brand power and peer pressure and how some parents and kids think so much like the frog in the well.
    Information is so available at the touch of the button, but to use it to the best is in our hands

Rihana, vaidehi71 and Sparkle like this.
  6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

And chk the ministry of education pages and you will know which colleges are accredited the websites and everything is available apng with ranking(though i don't wnat to talk much on this so called ranking) thanks to madam smriti who tried to do something.

And go through the course list. You will be amazed at how much has changed. Making educated decisions is the way to go

And you don't need to do much. Just register in one of those career or iit or 12th board guidance portals. You will get infomation advice some related and not related tempting messages on your phone number. And yes your hall ticket numbers get captured by these people don't askme how. This year maths paper was tough and we has plenty of pffers into colleges prebooking withoutfear like ones. I get for med school and my son has not taken bio.lolz.

Oh!let me not start

Rihana and Sparkle like this.
  7. Sparkle

Sparkle Platinum IL'ite

I guess I am a little outdated then @Shanvy, now I definitely will try Quora. I do read bit of it now and then, but I myself didn't know so much in FB background.

Shanvy likes this.
  8. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Colleges are empty abd they are desperate. Gone is the golden it period. Kids now opt for many different courses. Commerce was always in demand but this year you don't want to know the cut off. When my dd joined it was 97.

I am happy seeing interest in pure sciences this yr.

Sparkle and Rihana like this.
  9. Sparkle

Sparkle Platinum IL'ite

@Shanvy
    If someone wants to explore in the same area about the different course options available other than the usual MBBS and BE, what is the right place to look into?

10. amoarsh

amoarsh Bronze IL'ite

Thank you so much @Shanvy ji and @Sparkle ji for answering and opening up the discussion. I had put this question here , thinking for sure somebody will be out there to help me answering the confusions I had.

I hope others would also benefit and discus more on this.