1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Reporting my change of heart!

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Mar 19, 2010.

1. ganges

ganges Gold IL'ite

Dear Cheeniyaji,

Excellent posting. I too read a few of Fables. But I dont know his background. The serpant story is simple but superb. Forget and forgive. If this nature is there in everybody then the whole world will live in peace and harmony.

I second with Kamalji, being an ordinary human beings, we forgive in most of the times but is difficult to forget. Certain things are very difficult to forget. But I know achieving that stage then sure we will have only Paramanantham.

Thank you sir for such a beautiful thread.

ganges

2. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Ganges
    We must understand that by not forgetting the injustice done to us, we will only be hurting ourselves more! Only we get affected by harboring it in our heart. Our BP shoots up, Doctors joyfully test all the medicines on us and noting reduces our pressure. Because we keep the Poison Tree well nourished in us until it consumes us.

Let us not harbour any thoughts other than those that keep us in peace and joy! That is the Paramanandham we should aspire for!

Thanks a lot for your lovely FB Ganges
    Sri

3. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Cheeniya Sir,

Not to forget and forgive should be applicable for something really severe impacting the life of an individual not very trivial ones. In case of Fable, you quoted, one last the tail and other last the life. In case of 9/11, not punishing the people responsible for killing 3,000 innocent lives is injustice to the people who lost their kith and kin. Similarly, it is unfair to those who lost their family members in Mumbai attack for no reason. But most of the time, what we carry as legacy in our mind is not necessarily what had altered our life significantly but something that hurt our ego or the words that questioned our intelligence. That is why the wise men always say not to sweat on the small stuff as it is not worth it.

Despite having my own reservations about their political abilities, I still admire Rajiv's family members for not only meeting one of the assassins of Rajiv but also for recommending not to execute a woman because she has a child. That is true forgiveness in my mind even though many assign different reasons for that action. Obviously forgiveness provides some closure in our heart whereas when we pursue "never forget and forgive" attitude, it causes more pain and suffering to us than the enemy.

Viswa

(9)

Viswa

4. Cheeniya

Dear Viswa
    Everything in life is subject to certain limits. This applies even to 'forget and forgive' too. In the fable that I had quoted, both damages are irreparable. The snake's tail will never grow back to its normal length nor the farmer will get back his son alive again. So I guess it is difficult to forgive or forget in such circumstances. By the grace of God, I have never had to face any situation where the fabric of friendship got torn beyond repair. Most of them were minor skirmishes that lent greater strength to the underlying friendship.

About the terrorists' activities about which you have mentioned, I am not competent to say anything because it defies all the logic that I know of. What rattles me even more is the kind of lenience shown to guys like Kasab who kept killing innocent people mercilessly under public glare. People ask for forgiveness even for him!
    Sri

5. rgsrinivasan

rgsrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Once again, your point of view interested me Cheeniya Sir. Nice explanation for a cynic.
    A slightly different one this time:

If you want others to rate
    You high above themselves,
    Show them a little sympathy
    Ask them to shun their self pity.

Ensure that you have enough money
    Not losing the will to help in need.
    Be not the one to always give honey,
    To all, be wary of their greed.

Use a bit of cynicism to find
    The real motive behind a plea.
    Its good to show altruism, fine.
    Don't throw your wealth for free.

Work hard and earn, knowing that
    A help may not be near though.
    Give more but fully knowing that
    You can't expect a return too.

6. Pallavi4me

Pallavi4me Platinum IL'ite

Cheeniya sir,

Thats an awesome piece to read.

I stuck up with this line in my mind...

How true it is... I cant add much in fb to your great posts.. Just can say I loved it and will remember it.

7. crazywriter

crazywriter Platinum IL'ite

A very good fable, Uncle, I liked the lesson which you conveyed at the end. how true! :)

8. Cheeniya

My dear RGS
    That's a great new idea, I mean using cynicism to evaluate the real motive of the people that knock at our door for help. It helps in two ways. The fellow seeking a cynic's help is bound to play down his demand knowing that a hundred questions will be asked and secondly it will ensure that no big dent will be made in his purse!

A satisfying FB as usual!
    Sri

9. Cheeniya

My dear Pallavi
    Thanks a lot for your nice words of appreciation. I see that you have nominated this to FP. I have written to you there too.
    Sri

10. Cheeniya

Dear crazywriter
    Nice of you to have visited this old thread of mine and expressed your appreciation. It is not my intention to moralise and if you perceive any lesson in what I write, it is purely accidental!
    Sri