renting car of long term in USA

Discussion in 'Travel' started by ajain35, Feb 25, 2010.

1. ajain35

ajain35 Senior IL'ite

Hi,

My parents will be visiting me for two months and I need a car to take them around. I am trying to figure out the best way to save cost on renting the car. The normal rental companies (like enterprise etc.) charge a lot for insurance and I am trying to find options other than buying a car and then selling it after two months.

Does anyone have any experience/suggestion regarding this?

Thanks
    -AJ

2. Happysoul1234

Happysoul1234 Gold IL'ite

Do you have a driver's licencse, a credit card and are you over 25 years of age? If so, then I would suggest bidding on priceline or checking hotwire.com. You may have to rent on a weekly basis to get a really good deal. Depending on where you are, you can get a basic car for as little as 10-15 bucks per day.

If you have a credit card, then you don't need to buy all the insurance from the rental cars. that's the way they make money so they try to tell you it's really important but in most cases, the credit card providers give you some insurance as part of the amenities that is more than enough. check with your credit card.

3. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Also call your own car insurance provider as I think that regular car insurance will cover a rental....please check. Lower rates can be gotten if you pick up and return to an airport. Do a lot of checking onlline for rates. Some places have Rent A Wreck which is usually the lowest price.