1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

removed thali by mistake

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by vidgopal, Sep 13, 2011.

1. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

Then it might be hard for you to understand the sentiments of those who do . It might be of interest for u to know there are many Roman catholic families from South who have a thali(with a cross on it) wear a pottu (bindi) and a friend from one such has taken thamboolam(haldi kum kum) at my navarathri.
    Why is any of this relevant here? Are u trying to say that until we sanitize the world people cannot go to temples/churches/mosques or hold on to their beliefs? Until all pedophiles in all churches are brought to court no kid goes to church after all the place of worship didnt protect them .Lets not bring religion in where its not needed @sbonigala .There plenty of filth everywhere.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
    SunPa likes this.
  2. sbonigala

sbonigala Platinum IL'ite

Thanks @justanothergirl.
    I myself know a few of my cousins who wear Thali because they like it.

I do take thamboolam and prasaadam from my neighbour every Tuesday evening after the sunset - she is an old lady - a brahmin - who does Tulasi pooja and gives Thaamboolam to 5 married women.
    It might not be in accordance to my faith but I respect her faith and I accept it.

When my MIL is with us - she joins me to take Thamboolam.
    And this lovely lady, though a Brahmin - does accept the desserts that I share with her on some of the feast days of church.

Culture for me is above and beyond religions - We all celebrate Diwali and I know many of my Hindu friends who celebrate Christmas and visit the church and we all enjoy the different aspects of Iftar too.
    Is that not the Indian Culture - something that is beyond religion, communities, cuisines and languages.
    Culture is about making one feel accepted, making one feel inclusive.

However, below is my initial response :

This was in response to

Thali is not my culture, wedding ring is.
    Not all Indians wear thali - I do not wear thali because its not the tradition or a practice that my family follows.

Here is my full reply -

My reply is not to OP alone but also to a point which another lady posted.

I cannot see anywhere in my post where I said people cannot go to temples or any such places of worship.
    I just said while we proudly sing the national anthem, so should we also acknowledge the issues.

You are right- filth is everywhere -
    So, what is wrong if I point it out ? How does that make it disrespect towards anyone ?
    I do raise my voice against kids being sexually harassed in churches, just in case readers assumed that I am a religion fanatic. Problems in India or else where are beyond religion. Lets accept that.

Problems in India is not the same as problems in a particular religion. I have nowhere taken a religion name, a community or a sect/caste.

Can you please point out what is wrong in my post/opinion or at least where I disrespected the sentiment around thali or any religion, for that matter?

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
    SunPa likes this.