1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Removal of Uterus (Vaginal Hysterectomy)

Discussion in 'Gynaecology' started by YKARTI, Jun 26, 2012.

1. YKARTI

YKARTI Silver IL'ite

Dear All

One of my relative (aunt) who is 60 years old started experiencing discharge and pain over the last few days after years of hassle free menopause. On consulting with the gynaecologist, she has been advised to go in for removal of her uterus. All the tests that were taken appear normal. The date for surgery has been fixed and we are also proceeding for the same from our end.

I would request people who have knowledge or experienced the same to please share their views on these questions and any other information they may like to share. Any information is welcome and valuable as we are not familiar in handling such a situation.
    1) Does this involve removal of the ovaries too. The doctor has not mentioned anything on this but known people have been throwing up this question to us.
    2) Is this painful? What are the Dos & Donts before and after the surgery
    3) Any points/questions we may need to check with the doctor before the surgery
    4) Is this procedure risky? What are the likely risks?
    5) Any food restrictions?
    Thanks in advance

2. shantisubra

shantisubra Gold IL'ite

Re: vaginal hysterectomy (removal of uterus)

hi

Its completely safe and if its thru vagina and laproscopy method it is TOTAL wherein fallopian tubes and ovaries also will be removed thru key hole procedure to avoid any complications / malignancy later. No pain except for the external wounds. Just max 3 days stay at the hospital. First day only liquid food, second day onwards any food is fine. Its painless and the surgery is done thru aneasthesia.

Pain killers and antibiotics are injected thru the drips, so nothing to worry. Within a fortnight one can do their routines, not lifting heavy things, avoiding strenuous travels etc. upto one month.

No body contact with DH and no swimming for 3 months strictly.

Laproscopic method is the best and the easiest with no risk involved if the surgeon is experienced and efficient.

Good luck n Best Regards
    Shanti

1 person likes this.
  3. YKARTI

YKARTI Silver IL'ite

Hi Shanti
    Thank you very much for your prompt and detailed response.
    I have another question please. Will we require a nurse or ayah at home to help her after the surgery. Will she become dependent and need someone to help out for bathing her or attending natures call?

4. shantisubra

shantisubra Gold IL'ite

Hi Karti

You are most welcome.

If its thru Laparoscopic method, no need for any....... she can easily be on her own. If someone can cook, do other household chores thats more than enough. No need for any nurse/ayaah or any. She will have light pain in the urinal passage while passing urine for few days that's all. She should not constipate as if you struggle to pass the stool she will have pain in the lower abdomen. So docs give antacid liquid for easy motion passing. She can take lots of juice, curd, soups etc. post surgery.

Rgds
    Shanti

5. YKARTI

YKARTI Silver IL'ite

Thank you very much for your help and time.
    Highly appreciated

1 person likes this.
  6. sushmasrivastav

sushmasrivastav Bronze IL'ite

Hi Ykarti
    I had an aunt who too underwent this operation. I had a discussion with her.
    A vaginal hysterectomy involves removal of cervix, uterus, one or both ovaries and fallopian tubes. Hysterectomy can also be done through abdominal surgery. But vaginal hysterectomy is preferred because it causes less trauma for the patient. Vaginal hysterectomy means that the uterus etc are removed through an incision in the vagina. Laparoscopic surgery means that the surgeon will drill small holes in the abdomen for surgical instruments and camera etc.
    There is nothing to worry provided the doctor is competent and has previous experience of such surgeries. It is best to go in for laparoscopic surgeries. This will mean fewer days spent in hospitals and quicker recoveries.
    I am not a medical person of course and your surgeon is the best guide.

1 person likes this.
  7. BandanaSen

BandanaSen Bronze IL'ite

Hi
    I agree with what Sushma has said. I would like to add a few lines as per your queries.
    1. This surgery may involve removal of ovaries and fallopian tubes.
    2. This is a major surgery. The doctor can opt for either abdominal surgery (removal of the uterus through the abdominal incisions) or vaginal surgery ( removal of the uterus through an incision in the Vaginal wall). Obviously there is likely to be some pain and the doctor will give you pain relief medication. You can expect vaginal bleeding and will have to use sanitary napkins for some time.
    3.Recovery is quite fast for laparscopic surgery. You should feel better within two weeks.
    You should not lift heavy weights after the surgery. It is best to avoid vaginal sex for a period of six weeks after the surgery.
    4.There is a chance that during the surgery, depending on the condition of the patient, especially in case of cancer patients, that the surgeon opts for abdominal surgery. You may ask the surgeon whether abdominal surgery can be ruled out in case of your aunt.
    All the best for your aunt's surgery.

8. sumaramesh

sumaramesh New IL'ite

HI

My mom had uterus removal operation 4 days back... It was Laproscopic operation, and she told it was totally pain
    less and she was un concious and had no clue that operation was done..

After 2days, she's now able 2 walk slowly.. 1 month of bed rest, before resuming to regular house hold chores.

PS: i know its old post, but hoping some new IL finds this info in search.

1 person likes this.
  9. YKARTI

YKARTI Silver IL'ite

I thank everyone for their time & words. Her surgery is over and she is now recovering. Hope she recovers soon and without any problems...

Thanks again

10. sumaramesh

sumaramesh New IL'ite

Hey all

Even my mom has recovered now, Infact Doctor has asked her to walk for 30mins
    and resume with house hold work, but i have asked her to take rest for 1 more week
    (2 weeks from operation day) but just do little walking at home.. She is better now....