1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Remembering those days when I wore Pavadai

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by iyerviji, Mar 25, 2010.

1. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Lakshmi

Your son must have looked cute at that age when he was dressed in lahenga with bindi etc. Ya when they grow up they dont like that idea of wearing girl's dresses

Good to know that you had two lovely lehengas, both the colours are good. For my children I used to stitch lahenga , choli from my pure silk sarees

love
    viji

2. parusabari

parusabari Silver IL'ite

Hello Viji ma,

Lovely write up. My mom when she was young had to do with 2 sets of pavadai only as those were the days.........so she showered upon me the best. My paati knew tailoring......so i have enjoyed wearing pavadai in many designs, colours for most of the occasions.
    I still remember amma buying enthusiastically a green pavadai and pink blouse for me for half saree and insisting that i wear it for my cousins poonal.I was 13 at that time and cousins were dressed in chudidars so felt a bit embarassed but still amma adores that snap of mine.
    I have 2 angels........and love to see them dressed up in pavadais.........so every good day dress them up wearing the traditional dress. Girls with jimki in their ears, a small necklace, flowers in their hair and lovely colourful pavadais.........they look so beautiful lia.

Thank you for writing and bringing such good memories.
    Love,
    Parvathi.

3. mithila kannan

mithila kannan Gold IL'ite

My dear viji,
    your posts alwways touch a chord in my heart.Now,this one on 'pavadai and dhavai'.
    you took me back to my school days when I wore pavadai and dhavani.
    My elder brother used to select my pavadai and dhavani.For one occasion I wore a mango colour pavadai,pink georgette half saree with tiny blue flowers in it and blue blouse!HA!HA!I thought that I was the most well dressed in my class.
    Pavadai,dhavani,flower in the plaited hair,long chain with a big pendant,jymkis the gils were so lovely.
    love
    mithila

4. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Paru

Glad to know that I brought back your sweet memories. Good to know that due to your Amma you could wear different kind of pavadais. For my grandkids also I bought pavadais and they got from others also as gift.
    My daughter's brothe in law has given two sets of pavadai with mirror work , Gujrathi style from Baroda. Children will look nice with pavadai and choli with jimki, plat and other things.

Good that you have daughters , so you can dress them up nicely and enjoy

love
    viji

5. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Mythili

Nice to see you here. How is your health now. Take care. Godo to know that you also wore pavadai , davai and your brother used to select them. I also had mango colour printed satin pavadai with pink colour crepe davani which I used to like it very much. Those childhood days cannot be forgotten

love
    viji

6. SujathaR

SujathaR Gold IL'ite

Pavadai Dhavani are always special for all girls.

Thats the best thing i like.. even i have 2..

7. ojaantrik

ojaantrik IL Hall of Fame

Ah Pashenka back again. The simple pleasures of life. Things snobs like me would normally not even stop by to look at. Yet, I can see that simplicity brings you such contentment. I feel Father Sergius' inner struggle and search for humility whenever I read you. Sergius finally found what he sought. I am nowhere near. He gave up a great deal to attain humility. I possess so little anyway, intellectually speaking. How can I give up what I don't even possess? Teach me please to be like you. I feel all the more lost whenever I read you.

8. Raba

Raba Gold IL'ite

Dear viji mami,

I too love to wear pavadai , pavadai dhavani.. I had few pattu pavadais, The first one I remember is red in colour when i was 3 years old.

You took me to the cherishable memories:)

9. ShailRaghuvansh

ShailRaghuvansh Silver IL'ite

Hello Viji,

I remember my first romance with the paavadai too. It was "you got it right" yellow in colour. I had insisted that I had wanted it and my mother knowing my adventurous streak had an old silk saree made into a beautiful pattu paavadai. And how I strutted about in that thinking I was the beautiful creature in the universe! You brought back old memories Viji.

Nice Day.
    Shail

10. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Dear OJ Sir

Glad to see you here. I like to enjoy life and also to share my pleasures with everyone. You are also very simple and straight forward. You make me happy and give encouragement to live. You touch my heart with your loving words and here is wishing you infinite happiness in return. You might not be knowing how much you touch others wherever you go. So, please keep on doing things that you do, for others are blessed by your just being you.

Regards
    viji