1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Remembering those days when I wore Pavadai

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by iyerviji, Mar 25, 2010.

1. Jananikrithsan

Jananikrithsan Gold IL'ite

Dear Viji,
    Your post brought back many good memories of 'pavadais of yore'!
    I'm saying this because it is not the in-thing to wear it now!
    I had my share of pattu pavadis and the 'seeti' ones but loved wearing the ones which would have loads of zari on them!
    My daughters have a couple of pavadais each and I make them wear it when there is and occasion!
    Lovely nostalgia!

2. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Ganges

Glad toknow you too loved pavadai davani and had good collection. More glad that you bought for your dils also. Lucky they are. I had also bought for my daughters and also stitched for them from my sarees.

Now have bought for the grandkids and feel nice seeing them wear it.

love
    viji

3. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Radha

Glad to know your daughter wears pavadai. Now a days everyone prefers chudidhars only.

love
    viji

4. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Jayshree

I am so happy to see you here. I used to like wearing Pavadai , davani but could not wear for long time. I also stitched pavadai from my sarees for my daughters. Now for grandkids brought pattu pavadai piece from chennai and got it stitched for their 1st birthday. Also got readymade from Bombay. Nice to hear your experience wearing pavadai , davani for temples etc.

love
    viji

5. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Bhargavi

The colour combinations of your pavadai are too good. Glad to know that your daughters also wear.

love
    viji

6. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Mindi

Glad to know that you also loved pavadai. The colour combinations of your pavadais are superb. Ya pavadai with big plait and malligai poo on the head and with jewellery will be superb. But now a days everyone prefers to wear chudidhars only

love
    viji

7. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Janani

Great to know that you also loved pavadais and had many sets of pavadais and I brought you back memories of those good old days.
    Glad that your daughters also wear pavadai

love
    viji

8. Soldier

Soldier Gold IL'ite

You made me nostalgic too viji aunty.

I loved Pavadais - the ones I got only after coming to Chennai (remember I was in Mumbai earlier). Amma used to buy new ones as also stich out of her 9 yrds saree. She hailed from a Palghat Vadhyar's family (Kalpathi Rasa Vadhyar and Rama Vadhyar - why I am mentioning this here, their sons are all in Mumbai and may be you have heard of them. Another thatha of mine was fondly called as Viswanatha Sharma of Goregaon). So even for Nuptials my Paati got my mother a 9 yrd saree - I still remember. It was dark bottle green with self Golden Zari. So 3 yrds were converted to Paavadai and the 6 yrds mom used to wear. Then after coming to Chennai since my chitti's family lived next door and she had 4 daughters in a row all wearing Paavadai, I too developed a liking for Paavadai.

I also once got Chungudi Paavadais - White with Coffee Brown dots - coffee brown border with Rudraksham Zari border. Another one - similar to the above with Dark Green and mustard yellow border and dots.

Since I hated the thought of wearing a Dhavani (I have never ever worn in my life) to College too I was comfortable with Long Skirt and Tops and in II yr itself I switched over to Saree.
    Since our family was conservative I did not get to wear Chudis and Jeans and hence I now enjoy them all on my sweet DD!!

Thanks a lot for giving me an opportunity to pour out all these thoughts of yesteryears now.

9. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Mallika

I knew you must be fond of pavadais and waiting for your fb. Good to know you also wore pavadais. The colour of the pavadai you mentioned are superb. I also used to stitch pavadai from my nine yards saree for my daughters and also from my 6 yards saree. Good you are able to fulfil your wish of wearing chudidhars through your daughter.

Now I bought pavadais for my two grandkids during their birthday.
    For Sita Kalyanam made Gopika wear pavadai only. Also when i went to Guruvayur brought cream colour pavadai with golder border for both of them.

I will find outfrommy dh about Rama Vadyar and Rasa Vadyar. My father was also from Kumarapuram, Palghat.

love
    viji

Last edited: Mar 26, 2010
  10. Tubelight

Tubelight Bronze IL'ite

What a sweet post !
    As a youngster, I did not wear the lehenga much. It was mostly skirts and jeans. I had two lovely Lehengas ( one was maroon with gold buttas , the other,light blue-dark blue checks) , kept aside to wear during weddings only. And during teenage, I had a green gaghra-choli-chunni set made from a heavy kanjeevaram saree that belonged to my mother.

You wont believe this, but when my son was one and a half, i dressed him in a purple china-silk lehenga, with bindi, hairband, necklace, payal etc.to visit our ancestral temple ! Now he hates seeing that photograph !