1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Remembering Names And Incidents.

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by sln, Mar 11, 2019.

1. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Trump, President of USA called Tim Cook of Apple as Tim Apple.Trump also called Lockheed Martins CEO as,Marillyn Lockheed..Rahul Gandhi forgot Hollandes name and said that he had a meeting with Macron ex president of France.There is nothing ominous about this.People do forget names and telephone numbers,

In our apartment complex there was gentleman called Shankar in his early seventies..We were friends and used to meet in our morning walk.Despite knowing each other for some time he used to address me as Subramaniam.My attempt to correct him failed and therefore I tried another technique which yielded positive results.I returned his greeting in our morning walk and said Good morning Rajamanickam.He corrected me immediately and said that his name was Shankar.I said sorry and continued that incidentally my name was Lakshminarayanan and not Shankar.I tried this for two/three days and calling wrong names stopped completely.I surmised that this chap Subramaniam should have troubled him enough to leave a lasting memory of his name.

When we forget names we try to describe the person by his physical attribute or habits.Lambhu,shortie,baldie,fatso,smoker,snuff box,Patiala peg etc.Of course we use this when the person is not around.Argumentative,fighter,champion listener, burper,windy,back slapper[remember the chaps who slap your back when happy or excited] etc are some of the action oriented attributes to remember the person.There is a couple who go for a walk and the gentleman follows his wife because of breathlessness.We identify him as the faithful follower. There is a person who helps his wife with washing vessels.We identify him as the Dishwasher.

Ladies have elephantine memory particularly relating to quarrels with the husband or mother in law.It will start some what like this.”It was a Sunday around 4.00pm.Your father was sitting in the easy chair and browsing through the panchangam.Your mother was sorting out the coriander leaves.You were watching some cricket match played about 5 years earlier.I asked you a simple question-shall we go to the beach this evening-it is a long time since I tasted the raw mango spiced with chilli powder?You pounced on me and said “I need space-leave me alone as afterall I get only Sunday to relax”.What made it worse was your body language and the satisfied look on your mothers face.Adding insult to the injury was that you readily agreed to your mothers request to take her to the temple.The triumphant look on your mothers face said it all.In one of the made for each other contest a lady listed out every promise made on the nuptial night by her husband and not carried out even after ten years of marriage. The husband agreed that the list was factual but need not have been so exhaustive.The famous CHO once said- make promises in a hurry and repent at leisure. I also remember an occasion when I scolded my wife for losing the house key, she came out with a ready reckoner of the items I had lost in twenty years of our married life right from nail cutter,pen,towel,driving license etc.She had an appreciative audience of my daughters who clapped vigourously every time an item was included in the list. I beat a hasty retreat when cornered by the Phoolan Devi gang in their territory.One thing to cherish is that forgetting is the biggest gift of God to us as otherwise we will relive painful memories of what we have gone through and wallow in self pity.Remember that pessimists forget to laugh but an optimist laughs to forget.

shyamala1234, Rihana, Afresh and 4 others like this.

2. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Sigh! This is such a common ailment. I forget the number of time I forget names and end up calling one maid by her sister's name and the sister by this one's name. I should not. I used to get so peeved when my Mama used to call me unfailingly by my sister's name. It felt like I did not exist! The limit was when I called the BH by my sister's name. (She certainly haunts me all the time ..... I must get her to read this feedback. It's a long while since I got back at her!!! :p) How many times have I met an old friend on the road, recognized the face, said hello, talked to her for half an hour trying to steer the conversation in such a way as to figure out who she is and where I had met her. And embarassingly enough, at the end of the conversation she has said, "You did not recognize me, did you?" :flushed:

As for misplacing things ..... I don't think I should even start to list out events. I wonder why I can't forget painful memories though. Maybe they take up all the RAM in my hard drive and hence I am unable to access more immediate, important matters.

3. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

Sometime people call on the phone, and expect you to know who they are from just their voice.

4. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Dear Amulet,
    It is quite annoying when some one rang you up and asked you to recognise the voice.The problem gets worse when you dont recognise person with whom you were talking in the market place.However this is accepted as a reality'
    regards.SLN

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
    satchitananda likes this.
  5. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Dear Satchi,
    The problem gets accentuated with ageing.This is an inescapable fact of life.Old people can easily get away with such embarrassing situations.
    Regards
    SLN

satchitananda likes this.
  6. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Dear SLN,
    Nowadays even the younger generation has no memory power. They have become dependant on gadgets and tools and internet and whatnot.
    I was working in BSNL and used to remember lot of phone numbers. But now I have to search for the numbers of even frequently used phone numbers and even for my own phone number.
    The least benefit I gained from my service is I can recognise voices of persons with whom I converse frequently even if they speak from different numbers.
    PS

7. Afresh

Afresh Gold IL'ite

:)
    I couldn't help smiling reading through this snippet ;)
    What a delightful presentation... had to write my comments

8. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Thanks. I am more than gratified when the narrative brings smiles of the readers.PG Wodehouse fans will testify to this fact.Regards.SLN

9. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Dear Ms.Pushpavalli,
    Telephone services are so advanced that we dont have to remember anything including birthdays .We have stopped remembering spellings of words with the auto correction facility.The most embarrassing moment in my life was when I could not give my home telephone number to our Vice Chairman[no mobile and no number storing devices those days.
    We are becoming lazy and the time saved is spent on useless banter on whatsup,facebook etc.
    Thanks for writing.
    Regards
    SLN

10. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Dear Ms.Pushpavalli,
    Telephone services are so advanced that we dont have to remember anything including birthdays .We have stopped remembering spellings of words with the auto correction facility.The most embarrassing moment in my life was when I could not give my home telephone number to our Vice Chairman[no mobile and no number storing devices those days.
    We are becoming lazy and the time saved is spent on useless banter on whatsup,facebook etc.
    Thanks for writing.
    Regards
    SLN