1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Remembering Mythili[mithila kannan]

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by sln, Nov 6, 2014.

1. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Remembering Mythili[Mithila Kannan]

Mythili's third anniversary falls on 8[SUP]th[/SUP] November 2014.I have to but recall our literary pursuits on this occasion.She was a post graduate in Economics and I pushed her to complete B.Ed training ,nine years after marriage.In the process I also became a teacher trainee,having to assist Mythili in lesson plans,cut and paste jobs etc.When she came out with flying colours,her unmarried class mates jocularly remarked that they should have got married before joining B.Ed.

She was a romantic at heart and very impulsive.Her Imagination ran riot all the time.On one krishnajayanthi day my neighbour ,childless couple and 60+ took my second daughter dressed up like Krishna to their house. When the child returned after some time with a lot of gifts, Mythili said that she had an idea and wanted me and the children to disappear for a couple of hours.When we returned she had completed a story in tamil titled “Aval oru Yasodai “The essence of the story was that one need not physically deliver a child to be a mother and motherhood is different from being a mother.Though Devaki delivered Krishna it was Yasoda who brought him up.Of course Mythilis personal touch and embellishments added colour to the story.The story was published in an illustrious tamil magazine and the icing on the cake was a cheque for Rs.150/signed by none other than” Savi “.It is a different matter that she refused to bank the cheque.

Once we went to a friends house.They had a tragic story of their son losing his wife and daughter losing her husband in an accident.The mother explained that she was looking for a match for her son.The justification was that the grandson needed a mother.There was no mention of her widowed daughter.Mythili was furious.When she returned home she gave expression to her pent up fury in a story “Avargalluku Appa vendum”-children need a father as much as a mother.The story was published in Kalki a tamil magazine with illustration by none other than Gopulu.

Every alternate Wednesday Hindu readers were asked to write their views on a selected topic.On one such occasion,I showed Mythili what I had written about Valentine day.She disagreed with my ideas from A to Z. Any how I emailed my article to Hindu.After a couple of hours Mythili emerged from the study room and announced that she was going out for a while not looking me in the eyes.I knew something was fishy and consoled myself that she was equally entitled to being fishy. When the Wednesday paper appeared it was an exhilarating feeling to see both our articles in the issue. Mythili defiantly said that the world allows different views unlike Lakshiminarayanan.

Mythili’s article was adjudged as the best in a competition organised by one website exclusively meant for women.She was invited for the award function to receive a diamond ring sponsored by Kirtilals.I drove her down to the office and we were directed to the conference room. We occupied the adjoining seats.After some time an imperious looking lady entered the room and ordered that only authors should occupy the front row and others should move to the back row.Mythili looked through the corner of her eyes as if to say “For a change you occupy the back row”.In conformity with the prevailing mood in the hall I introduced myself as Mr.-------,husband of Mrs.Mythili.I strictly followed the protocol,I moved the chair when she got up, opened the door for her and showed all the reverence the occasion called for.After getting into the car, she jocularly asked me for whose benefit I enacted the drama .She had tears when I congratulated her for coming out of my shadow after all these years.

On this occasion,it is a red letter day for us and good news for ilites that Partridge India[Penguins]have published a book of our selected blogs/snippets just yesterday.The book titled “A dangerous predicament and other snippets”by SLN&Mithila Kannan has been released through Amazon US.The book reveals our literary journey through Indus Ladies for over six years.[Ilites have cried with us,laughed with us,got angry with us and felt sorry for us-infact exxibited a rainbow of emotions].The fitting finale are the comments of Kamla,Cheeniya and Soaring spirit for the finest post which occupy the back cover.Information on launch in India and other countries will follow.

2. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear LN Sir,
    I was unlucky that I joined IL after Mrs. Mithila passed away. But I was reading so much about her and now we are seeing her through you. When a person is not there everything turns into beautiful memories and they become anchor for those who are left behind...especially you.
    I am going to buy the book " A danger predicament and other snippets". I would let you also know how I feel after reading the book.
    Thank you for making me know about so many incidents and memories connected with Mrs. Mithila.
    Syamala

3. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

LN sir,

Wow, i don't know if i should say congrats on the publication. having been here for so long and reminiscence a lot through mk's snippets and blogs and yours, i know it deserves its.

The other day, i saw a like from mk on a post of yours and for a second i was stunned, my brain refused to realise or act, i stopped reading the fb's and went for a glass of water. later i saw your daughter writing a reply from that handle. i still come across her profile picture when i see my profile page and have a smile.

feeling happy to see that your posts are now on print for posterity.

Remembering mk for the jovial and loving spirit.

2 people like this.
  4. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Very nice to hear that your snippets have been approved for publications, May your service to the literary society continue for ever.

Jayasala 42

sindmani likes this.
  5. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Dear Shyamala,
    Memories keep flooding as it was a case bonding over four decades.I am happy that the release of the book coincides with her ammiversary.I shall wait for nyour comments.
    Regards
    Lakshiminarayanan

6. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Dear Shanvy,
    I was equally shocked until I saw the word Appa.Both of us loved humour.While I am a keen observer she recreated a scene and made you a part of the episode.The book will be immortal while it is just a matter of time before I join Mythili.I have also developed and left a nice garden in a retirement village to perpetuate her memory.
    Regards
    Lakshiminarayanan

7. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Dear Jayasala,
    Thanks the book is an attempt to perpetuate her memory.
    Regards
    Lakshiminarayanan

8. iyerviji

iyerviji Finest Post Winner

Congrats LN Mama for the publication. Happy that the release of the book coincides with her Anniversary. Glad that I could meet both of you when I came to Bangalore. Thanks for sharing the incidents and the memories of her

9. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Dear Viji,
    Thanks. Your visit all the way to our house and how, particularly Mythili relaxed still lingers in my memory.
    Regards
    Lakshiminarayanan

1 person likes this.
  10. iyerviji

iyerviji Finest Post Winner

Yes LN Mama I can also never forget that day, thanks to my husband's niece because of her I could make it and was happy to have spent sometime with Mythili