1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Remembering MS, a human nonpareil

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Dec 9, 2007.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Uma
    Thank you for the FB. Athmartham is the right word to use in the case of MS. She was one of the very few who could commune directly with our athma or soul Baja Govindam opens our thoughts to deep introspection. I recently saw her Meera with Nagaiah playing her husband in a very subdued and effective way. She had identified herself so much with Meera's role that if any one painted a picture of Meera, he found it difficult to avoid bringing in a resemblace to MS!
    Sri

2. Cheeniya

Dear Shanthi
    Your meeting with Satya Sai made a very interesting reading. While people who get a chance to have an audience with him invariably ask for material gains, you ask him a profound question that reflects on your intellectual gearing.
    Your statement 'Her conviction was that only bhakti can plumb the depth of human heart - as she put it, her songs have the higher purpose of directing the minds of listeners towards God and his manifestations' neatly sums up the Holy Mission of MS.Her music has acquired an enduring quality because she used it as a vehicle to elevate us to a much higher plane of existence.
    I can not thank you adequately for the picture of her statue erected in Tirupathi. How Divine and evolved she looks!
    Sri

3. ojaantrik

ojaantrik IL Hall of Fame

A truly touching obit Sri. Quite apart from the fact that I am one of her diehard fans, I was moved by the details you provided. Not being closely associated with South Indian society, I was ignorant of Smt. Subbhalakshmi's charitable deeds. However, following your line of thought, I have begun to think that her charity did not stop with tangible objects, such as money for trusts. Her greatest charity for human kind was the music she gifted to us all.

Indeed, to have her voice accompany you on your last journey, as happened to be the case for your near and dear ones, would be a great privilege. I never thought about death the way you have put it. The other world is Heaven precisely because it is inhabited by Gods and Goddesses such as MS.

I envy your fortune. You saw the great one in person, spoke to her, attended her live performances. I have merely watched her on TV and heard her on audio systems. Nonetheless, her voice thrills me. It charms me. It creates before me a vision of immortality.

This was a fascinating obit. One of your best pieces.

Best wishes.

oj

Last edited: Feb 1, 2009
  4. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CMridula%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> <w:UseFELayout/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:"MS Mincho"; panose-1:2 2 6 9 4 2 5 8 3 4; mso-font-alt:"MS 明朝"; mso-font-charset:128; mso-generic-font-family:modern; mso-font-pitch:fixed; mso-font-signature:-1610612033 1757936891 16 0 131231 0;} @font-face {font-family:"\@MS Mincho"; panose-1:2 2 6 9 4 2 5 8 3 4; mso-font-charset:128; mso-generic-font-family:modern; mso-font-pitch:fixed; mso-font-signature:-1610612033 1757936891 16 0 131231 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"MS Mincho"; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:EN-GB; mso-bidi-language:AR-SA;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Dear cheeniya sir,

Thanks to oj da I saw this blog today on my favorite singer MS….u are indeed very lucky to have met her..
    As in many houses our day in my home always began with one of her suprabhathams….even today here I begin my music first with one of her songs only…the bhakthi in her songs makes u want to just close your eyes and be oblivious to everything else…
    some of my favourites being kurai onrum illai( after hearing her rendition of this I hum this song only if I am feeling thoroughly at peace and not even a single grouse…otherwise I feel I am doing something wrong.)
    Hari thum haro…daas meera laal giridhar has me again just immersed in the song..
    Bhavayami raghuramam…..last para in madhyamavathi I can imagine the pattabhishekam....bhaja govindam.....actually the list can be quite long..:)

I had heard that she was not very well off during her last days but now I understand. …. what a great soul and so humble…..
    My first impression even before I became a fan of her songs was she is absolutely beautiful…her glittering diamonds…pottu and vibhoothi and pattu sarees with the pallu tucked in ,she was grace personified….
    I thoroughly enjoyed this blog and the fbs, sir..

regards
    Mindi

5. Cheeniya

Dear oj
    Many of us who had known MS personally would rate her charitable disposition far superior to her music. Every paisa that she was paid for her music went for charity. When I visited her house, I was struck dumb by the simplicity of her living. She and her husband Shri Sadasivam who predeceased her were indeed made for each other. Her 'pathibakthi' was legendary. After his demise, she stopped giving public concerts and confined herself to home.
    Her music was strongly backed by her devotion to God, her Guru, the late Paramacharya of Kanchi, and her husband. What else her music could be but Divine?
    Sri

6. Cheeniya

Dear Mindi
    Every song that MS rendered throughout her life is a divine classic. We get transported to a plane far higher to where we normally exist by merely listening to her. I personally consider her husband's death a great tragedy because that took her music away once and for all.
    The songs that have become immortal are both written exclusively for her, Kurai Onrum Illai by Rajaji and Maithrim Bajatha by the Paramacharya.
    Will there be another noble soul like MS passing this way in our life time? I wonder...
    Sri

7. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Cheeniya Sir

When we talk about albums, we talk about how many millions were sold in the world. How in the world anyone could ever find out how many of M.S.'s Suprabadam and Bhaja Govindam were sold in and how many times they were heard by how many people? Her contributions for charitable purposes of the proceeds earned out of her renderings shows her noble character. Every time I hear her "Kurai Onrum Illai", I end up crying as she helps me reach my higher consciousness.

When I was a child, I had a chance to visit the house of prominent personality in Poonamalee. When I entered the house, I saw two ladies singing in a melodious voice and later I was told that it was M.S. and Radha. That is the only chance in my life to see her in person even though I feel very connected to the divine soul through her voice more than one physical appearance.

Many times when I listened to her singing, I used to feel that this is the music that would welcome good souls into heaven. I have heard many stories and heard the voice of Kanchi Paramacharya how fondly that Divine Soul refers to the divine music of M.S. I have also heard about a conversation between Sri Sathya Sai Baba and M.S. When Baba asked her whether she could render bhajans in Puttaparthi with His students playing musical instruments. She politely replied, "Swami, we are just instruments in Your divine hands. We just do whatever You like us to do." To my knowledge that is the only time, she sang when accompaniments were not professional musical instrument players.

What a standing ovation this shy M.S. received when she rendered in the United Nations in the presence of international audience? Certainly, the loss of human beings is the gain of the Divine Souls wherever M.S. is now. If her music pleased the Divine Souls so was her charitable acts.

I could utter no words that would satisfy me in praising her. I am simply proud to know someone in IL who had taken her Blessings in person.

Viswa

1 person likes this.
  8. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Sri,

Yes, you are right. MS is unparallel. There cannot be another MS.Her singing connects us with God...she is something like a bridge to God and the divinity we can feel.Her statue in Tirupathi is unique. I was very happy to see it.

There used to be one Executive officer, P.V.R.K Prasad in Tirupathi. He wrote one book about his experiences in Tirupathi...naham karta, harih karta. In that book there is one full chapter about MS Annamacarya keertana CDs.They were recorded during his tenure. How he convinced her to sing them. Great Chapter. The last sentence in the chapter is Nahim karta, harih karta, the lord made her sing. She attended his daughter's marriage and sang mangala harathi song in the wedding. He says.....How lucky I am!

9. Cheeniya

Dear Viswa
    My mum was two years elder in age to MS and yet on one occasion, my mum prostrated before MS after a concert in Triplicane. My mum later told us that there was no bar to paying obeisance to a younger person if that person was specially blessed by God. This episode is still very green in my memory. It is amazing that someone who had a humble birth could reach the level of the Divine through her music. Kanchi Paramacharya's benevolent blessings took this soul to such incredible heights and yet she remained very balanced and humble till her very end.

I am quite lucky to have known and moved with her and her illustrious husband at a personal level.
    Sri

10. Cheeniya

Dear Syamala
    My second son-in-law's mother who lives in Eluru wrote her thesis on Annamacharya Kritis and got her Doctorate. There is a picture of MS adorning her Pooja Room. Do I need to say anything more about MS?
    Sri