1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Remembering MS, a human nonpareil

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Dec 9, 2007.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Indhu
    I am not surprised that your dad has a big collection of MS' songs. Only if he didn't have them, I would be surprised! I have accompanied quite a few men on their 'pen paarkum' event and in almost every case, the brides to be sang only a MS song. Perhaps it is considered a good 'raasi'!
    I have heard 'Kurai ondrum illai' sung by many artists but as you say only MS could sing it without any kurai.
    Katrinile varum geetham has a Bengali origin of which I have written in another post!
    As the British say of their royalty, MS is dead.Long live MS!
    Sri

2. Cheeniya

Dear Sudha
    Thank you for joining in to pay our tribute to a truly great soul! What made MS a legend, her music or her compassion could be a subject matter of a patti manram!
    I have seen her portrait in many houses and the parents proudly saying, 'En ponnu varanjathu!'. That's very intriguing that no other singer has ever been deemed a fit subject for painting as MS! It only shows that it was just not her music alone that made MS very dear to us but much more.
    sri

3. Cheeniya

Dear Saraswathi
    Thank you for sharing your memories of your illustrious grandfather. I have myself heard a lot about him. I have been told that Rajaji used to consult him a lot in his literary pursuits and Mi.Pa.used to be quite a strong influence on him.
    I wish you could write a separate thread on him so that the youngsters could get a glimpse into the life of your erudite grandfather.
    Sri

4. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sri,
    You have written
    I have accompanied quite a few men on their 'pen paarkum' event and in almost every case, the brides to be sang only a MS song. Perhaps it is considered a good 'raasi'!

I wonder, what song, Indra sang, when you went to "see" her !
    I am sure it was one from Shakunthala or the like movie, starting something like
    Manamohananga vadana....
    Am I right ?
    Love,
    Chithra.

5. Cheeniya

Dear Chithra
    She sang two songs. 'Yaaro ivar yaaro' was one and the other was the famous song, 'aanandam en solvene, iru kann padaitha payane'!
    Sri

6. Chitvish

Dear Sri,
    The grapevine tells me, that you broke the convention & sang a few lines, before leaving
    Sukumari(a) en thaapam nee ariyayo
    Enathu ulLame niraindhadinbaveLLame
    Maravane ennaaLilume !
    My God, the whole of Madurai, our old fashioned town was bustling with this news of "reverse music", not heard of much, in those conservative days !
    Love,
    Chithra.

7. Cheeniya

Dear Chithra
    I dont remember if I sang a song then but after the marriage, I keep humming the song 'Manaivi amaivadellam iraivan kodutha varam'!
    Sri

8. Chitvish

Yes, Sri !
    I am aware that you know how blessed you are . She tells me, giggling, how, even now, you go around her in circles in the kitchen singing to her
    Un samayal araiyil,
    Naan uppa, sakkaraiya ??!!
    Love,
    Chithra.

9. umasaras

umasaras Senior IL'ite

Dear sir,
    Excellent write up . I guess she has sung with true devotion(athmartham) that gives such soul stirring effect on us when we hear it. Venkatesa suprapatham is almost known to many as MS suprapatham. Baja Govindam also gives such an experience to on who hears which can't be truly expressed in words.Hey Govinda Hey Gopala makes you feel Gopala is somewhere around. Thanks for bringing back memories of a truly great personality.
    regards,
    uma

10. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Hi Sri,

Good one. Really loved your original and also the FB's. I once had the chance to meet her, but to be frank, then I did not know so much about her, but today I really treasure that episode. When I look back, (ofcourse this should be my fb at atoning sins...) I have met Satya Sai baba very closely in my school days..and I was so arrogant???/too innocent?? of the ways of the world...went and asked him everybody says you are a God personified...Are you...he just smiled and asked what do you think..i said you look like ordinary human to whom i can relate...he said fine..just consider me as your friend....

Coming back to the topic...I was introduced to the nuances of carnatic music by FIL & MIL (today however I thank them it will never be enough..because of them i have come a long way in enjoying CM.).

MSS, only she could relate to Rajaji, and bring out the message so well in Kurai Ondrum Illai. Her conviction was that only bhakti can plumb the depth of human heart - as she put it, her songs have the higher purpose of directing the minds of listeners towards God and his manifestations. And she has done it so well.

I would like to quote Jawaharlal Nehru's famous one.... "I am but a mere Prime Minister, who pales into insignificance in the presence of the Queen of Music " ...which aptly sums up her position in all our hearts..

Gandhiji wanted MSS to sing the meera bhajan, "Hari Tum Haro", her husband, replied that she was not aware of how to sing this bhajan, since she had not learnt it.Gandhiji replied that it was enough for him to hear MSS speak the words of the bhajan, even if she did not know the song.This was indeed a great tribute from the Father of the Nation to the intense bhava, bhakti and emotional spiritualism in her voice.This incident happened in 1947, ( the song was a tribute to bapu's birthday) . MSS went on to master this bhajan and made it nationally and internationally famous with her soulful rendition. And was the song Aired by AIR Madras when Gandhiji succumbed to the bullets in 1948, and MSS could not sing this song without breaking down for quite sometime..such was her involvement.

I would like to attach the picture of MSS that is now in erected in Tirupathi, (I really feel bad that we don't even have a street named after her in chennaishakeheadshakehead)

M. S. Subbalakshmi had released many cassettes and CDs on Annamacharya's krithis and popularised the 'Sri Venkateswara Suprabhatham' on Lord Venkateswara, of Tirumala-Tirupathi.
    The royalty raised through the sales of these albums is said to have amounted to about Rs.15 crores, which M.S. had donated to TTD for poor feeding and other welfare programmes. As a gesture of gratitude, TUDA and TTD, joined hands to honour this artiste with a statue.

Let me stop here....Or I could go on and on...............

Attached Files: