1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Remembering MS, a human nonpareil

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Dec 9, 2007.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sundari
    Music has been accepted as a medium of worship in many religions but it is not as profound as the way we treat it. As you have rightly pointed out, we are followers of Thyagaraja who questions the validity of music without Bakthi. I have heard the Othuvars singing in famous Temples of Tamilnadu and they bring tears in our eyes.
    It is rather sad that music is fast losing its relevance as a form of worship and in exploring the Divine.
    There can not be a greater form of worship than baring our souls to Him through singing and if it is not within our reach, at least listening to the songs of MS and the like for 30 minutes a day.
    Sri

2. Malathijagan

Malathijagan Silver IL'ite

Dear Cheeniya sir,
    That was a moving tribute to the the personification of divinity. Yes MS is a legend and has immortalised music. And everyday when I chant the Suprabhatham and Vishnu Sahasranamam, I thank that great Lady for having made them so popular that we are all able to reproduce her rendition though not with the same melody and divinity.
    A real tribute to the melody queen. As you rightly said "In the passing away of MS, we see how great people live respected and die regretted that is the hallmark of a high quality life. MS, indeed, lived respected, revered and worshipped and died regretted and lamented."

3. Saraswathipv

Saraswathipv IL Hall of Fame

Hello Cheeniya Sir,

Thanx. In fact , its an honour for me to be able to share my little little experiences with people like u all who know much more than what I do.
    Yes, thatha was closely associated with Rajaji. My mother used to say about her visits to Rajaji's home with him.

bye...

4. Cheeniya

Dear Malathi
    Nightingale of India, the poet and freedom fighter Sarojini Naidu once said "Whosoever comes under the enchantment of this singer's great gifts, will agree with me that she is not an interpreter of Meera, but Meera herself. Take her into your hearts and cherish her. You will be proud that India in this generation has produced such a supreme artist."
    Anyone whose life is touched by the music of MS is bound to feel elevated and sanctified as if he had taken a bath in the Ganga.We are fortunate that we live in a world of science and technology that has made available the immortal music of MS for eternity. True that we'll miss her overpowering presence but her voice will continue to haunt us through her Suprapadham, Baja Govindam and Vishnu Sahasranamam.
    Sri

5. Cheeniya

Dear Saraswathi
    Why do you call them 'little,little experiences'? Any experience, however small or insignificant, with your illustrious ancestry will be worth sharing. Please dig into your childhood and come out with whatever you can remember about your grandfather and his friendship with Rajaji. They must have been pretty close because a man of Rajaji's stature would not ask for help from anyone particularly in his literary pursuits!
    Sri

6. Lavanya

Lavanya Bronze IL'ite

A heart wrenching piece... though I have never interacted with her personally my grand mother always recounted stories as MS was once our backdoor neighbor. Good old times... but her soul stirring music will live on for generations to savor.

7. Cheeniya

Dear Lavanya
    Blessed you are to have had MS as your neighbor.
    Immortality is not living for ever. It's only about the enduring value of what we leave behind that keeps our memory alive for ever
    Sri

8. indhusri

indhusri Bronze IL'ite

Dear Cheeniya sir ,
    That was a great tribute to the legend of music ! Thanks for sharing with us ur great moments with MS – U r lucky indeed ! I ‘m thrilled to know the other nice side of her - that she spent almost all she earned through her divine music to charity ! How humane she had been ! She must have earned lots of ‘ punyam ‘ - for several jenmaas to come - through her services(music & charity) to mankind !

“When my father died in 1974 and my sister in law breathed her last in 1978, we played Bhaja Govindam of MS just as their breathing subsided. We considered it as much an act of purification of the soul as the pouring of the waters of <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place>Ganga</st1:place> into a mouth that would soon become lifeless. “ –Very true - Their aathmaa would have rested in peace for sure as u say “ The look of serene contentment that their lifeless faces bore when they were consigned to the flames is still talked about in my family. I strongly attribute the phenomenon to the music of MS that enraptured them in their dying moments.” .
    My dad is a great fan of MS, THE GREAT ! Has got almost all the collections of MS ( in cassettes & cd s ) . During my childhood he used to wake me up in the early hours of the mornings by playing “ venkatesa suprabaadham” of MS in the highest volume – which I ‘ll eagerly be waiting for ! ! I considered it as a nice begining of the day !
    Many musicians of today have sung ‘ kurai ondrum illai marai moorthy kanna ‘ in their own style – but nothing like the one sung by our MS ! Her majestic & divine voice …… chanceless ! ! !
    My daughter's favourite song is her ‘ kaatrinile varum geetham ‘ .Whenever we have a family get- together , everybody asks her to sing that song ! She would sing it devotedly considering it as a tribute to our great MS !
    “ KANGAL PANITHIDA PONGUM GEETHAM
    KALLUM KANIYUM GEETHAM “ - such a geetham can be rendered only by our honourable Dr . M. Subbulakshmi Avl.! :hatsoff
    With regards ,
    Indhu

Last edited: Dec 14, 2007
  9. sudhavnarasimhan

sudhavnarasimhan Silver IL'ite

Dear Cheeniya,

What a wonderful tribute to a wonderful LADY! I think everyone has said ALL and i just join everyone here to pay my respects also to this GREAT SOUL , at this time. Glad you wrote this piece as a tribute to her. I too have never missed her shows when we were young and many a times her soul wrenching voice and the way she rendered the songs touched my heart and brought tears to my eyes. and her Humility, and her simple smile are the other things which come to my mind when we say MS! Truly a blessed soul!

(I know what Indu says abt her father....he has all the collections of MS and i have made copies from him. He also bought the vcds released by doordarshan. Never a day goes by when he has not listened to MS! He is such a great fan! I can imagine maybe that is what inspired Indu to do BA in Music!;-))

10. Saraswathipv

Saraswathipv IL Hall of Fame

Cheeniya Sir,

Sorry for stepping in late...
    I don't I have enough knowledge to discuss about the literary association of my grandpa and Rajaji, but I know that they shared a stong bond and had high respect for each other.
    Grandpa's home had framed photographs of his with Nehru, Rajaji and other literary figures....and yes the one taken at BBC studio, london, while he addressed the Tamil community there.It was the compilation of the travelogue after his UK visit, "Akkarai Cheemiyil" that fetched him his Sahitya Akademi award.
    I was told that he was the one who was in charge of giving the live commentary, by AIR, when Queen Elizabeth visited Chennai, during her tour to India(I think the yr was 1952).
    Personally, as "thai-mama", he was very affectionate to my mom, obviously. But during the later stages, my appa and he were very close. I remember both of them chatting endlessly,specially after we moved to Chennai in 1997. Earlier,grandpa was too happy to gift my parents, the copy of Siddhar Illakiyam,( which was published by Annamalai University in1989) with his signature on it. We childlishly joked that thatha is giving autograph to parents.

Besides MS and Rajaji, Grandpa was also very very close to Sirgazhi S Govindarajan. He too came for the wedding that I mentioned. He alongwith his son, SivaChidambaram had rendered a few songs on that day.

Thanx once again, for giving me opportunity to share whatever I can with u.

Bye