1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Remember The Circus or Heard about Circus Skill Classes

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Shanvy, Nov 27, 2007.

1. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Do you remember the gemini circus.?? The pamphlets and the speakers announcing the arrival of the circus...all the preparations that can been seen even before the circus starts..the multicolour tents..the circus jokers showing glimpses on a wagon...oh...those days....i dont find many circuses happening today in India...

The artistes are probably the worst sufferers in all this. While at one time they used to have a huge fan following, today they are barely able to attract enough crowds for sustenance..

The other day, i saw some trapeze artists performing on the road to some latest tamil cine songs..it reminded me of my childhood, how we used to be so curious and enthusiastic about going to the circus...the colorful tents..the parrot that rides a cycle. the elephant parade, playing football...the jugglars, the trapeze artist...
    Once when i was a kid, was it rambo/gemini not sure...had been to the circus..halfway through, the lion got wild, started running into the seats..so lot of stampedes..and disappointment..thought dad was happy we came out unhappy....

The main reason for the decline, i attribute it to the the law, which forbids the use of wild animals. Some years ago, the Supreme Court banned five categories of wild animals — tiger, leopard, lion, bear and monkey — from taking part in circus acts. The other the children are happy seeing the "CIRCUS" on TV.

Recently heard there is a circus skill class, from the circus foundation...wondered what it was, came to know that...it is a class designed to develop self-confidence, hand-eye coordination, trust in others and respect for oneself. By turning you upside down we teach you to stand on your own two feet. By dropping objects we teach you to catch them. By having you walk all over someone we teach you to take care of them. By having you clown around we teach you take yourself seriously. Wow, the whole message of the circus in a class...would love my kids to attend one.....

2. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

This is something new to hear circus skill classes??
    I know about personality development where they teach you all that you have mentioned. They even teach how to speak in public and all. But this is really new to me. Thanks for coming up with this. I too enjoyed circus during my childhood if we were to go for the evening show we use to be so excited. It was nice but it is true now a days we do not get much to see as government has closed down most of the circus as these people are illtreating the animals. I usually like to see the tricks that they perform on the rope and swing right on top of the tent. A dangerous one but looks beautiful.

3. Tamildownunder

Tamildownunder Bronze IL'ite

Dear Shanvy,

It is interesting to hear about circus lessons being offered and they seem to be very valuable. Whenever I hear about circus, I am reminded of Raj Kapoor's Mera Naam Joker and the song 'yeh bhai zara dekhe chalo'. In the song life is comapred to a circus of 3 hours. Bachpan,Jawani and budapa are the three phases of life and circus offers many lessons to learn from.

4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Arunayaar...

When i read about the circus skill class, i just tried to imagine the hanging and passing that goes on at the roof of the circus tent, the trapeze artist..and just put both my kids there...and thought..will they trust the other person..shakeheadshakehead.to risk their life and just leave the rope in the hope the other person will hold them...OMG..it was really scary...but still will love them to go in for those classes...

I still enjoy a circus show..even if it is shown on tv...ofcourse was a crazy fan of the "CIRCUS" serial in those days..

5. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear Shanthi
    The circus comes to our town once in six months...this one is famous thru out this country..so they are skilled artists...poeple of all ages go....classes...now thats a new thing..sounds more like gymnastics or cheerleading to me.but what do i know..Those artists are really skilled and talented and hardworking too....

6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Raman sir,

Yes. I also feel it is good valuable lessons. I love the mera n aam joker movie..which i would have seen countless times...and when i started thinking about circus...i started remembering all those scenes..from the poster sticking, the announcements, and the masti....but again it is hard work...

7. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

AC..
    Good yaar.. you have a circus...in India because of the laws it is only seen very rarely. a statistics says that there were around 50 circuses 20 years back..and now a mere 8-10 fighting for survival...

Trapeze ..Flying, Single, Double or Swinging Trapeze mind blowing...they look easy...even juggling..just try with 2 balls..even that without the fast hand eye coordination is very very difficult...

yes the classes look definitely alluring,and good......people come out with new classes...as long as we are guilible (i wanted to use another word..but controlled.)..

8. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Shanthi
    Sometime back, I read an article written by the owner of Kamala Three Ring Circus explaining how he had to close down shop as the patronage kept falling.At one stage, he couldn't feed his staff and animals properly.
    There was a famous teleserial called The Circus in Hindi which was immensely popular. Sharuk Khan made his maiden appearance in that serial as the owner of the outfit.
    Malayalees had a great flair for acrobatic and gymnastic exercises and they formed the fulcrum of any circus. Chinese were good as jugglers.
    Thanks a lot for this blog, Shanthi
    Sri

9. ish_nalini

ish_nalini Senior IL'ite

Dear Shanthi,
    You recalled my past memories.Me too will be shivering till the whole show get finished.Thanks for intimating the rare news.

10. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

dear shanthi,
    u reminded me of an episode, there was this circus and it went up in flames and a family that were there known to us, not very close though, this man came home once with one of my uncles and started telling priya is his dead daughter who has come back and so on, it went to such an extent that i got scared that he might kidnap priya for good, so cautioning her was another bigger task as she believed him to be a good man and so on, so ultimately all had to intervene to tell him that she is not his daughter and was sent to nimhans for mental health to be taken care of for a few months, and thanks to the stay he never troubled us after that..sk