Relocating to London

Discussion in 'Indians in the UK' started by nj1, Oct 24, 2014.

1. nj1

nj1 New IL'ite

Hi,

I will be relocating with my Husband and Daughter (2.5 yr old) to London in a couple of months. Need help with some queries:

1. Stay: My hubby's office is in Canary Wharf. Our budget is about £1200-1400 PCM. Pls suggest neighbourhoods to stay. Considerations: commute to canary wharf, school/parks for the kiddo, safe environs and a small Indian community.

2. Are the apartments generally furnished (furniture, basic electronics) or would we need to buy/ship?

3. What is a better option: apartment or independent house?

4. What would you suggest us to definitely carry from India. E.g. Iron, mixer grinder etc. I've heard that some of these appliances are prohibitively expensive in UK as compared to India

5. Where can I find about the schooling pattern in UK. My kid is 2.5 and attending play group in India. Is there anything similar available in London. When does formal schooling start etc.

Any other suggestions?

Many thanks in advance for your inputs.
    Happy festivities!

Regards

2. nj1

nj1 New IL'ite

Hi,
    Any inputs here would be really appreciated.

Regards

3. tanveerbanu

tanveerbanu New IL'ite

Hi,

We are too planning to relocate in London in first week of December. My husband will travel next week and i will travel in December.

We are planning to stay in Ilford area.

Can someone answer below questions:
    1. What would you suggest us to definitely carry from India. E.g. Iron, mixer grinder etc. I've heard that some of these appliances are prohibitively expensive in UK as compared to India

2. Where can I find about the schooling pattern in UK. My kid is 6.5 and studying in 1st standard in INDIA. Is there anything similar available in London. When does formal schooling start etc.

Thanks,

4. swati250286

swati250286 New IL'ite

Hi NJ,
    I am myself living in Canning town which is 5 mins from Canary wharf. I would suggest that u can look for places in London Docklands ie. Royal Victoria, Isle of Dogs, Pontoon docs etc or Canning town ....You can get a good furnished flat within your budget...basically depending on the area you finalise.

Household Electronics are readily available here and not very expensive ....Have a look at argos.co.uk and then decide yourself.

I don't have any kids so won't be able to help you on that but I am sure there'll be play schools etc here as well....

Hope this'll help....let me know if you need more details.

Cheers!!