1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Relocating to Boston (Ipswich)

Discussion in 'Indians in Boston' started by NehArjun, Apr 30, 2009.

1. dan2009

dan2009 New IL'ite

Preethi
    As for the PM .. I am showering you with questions from here in bangalore.. so what makes you think that i wont do the same there.. ;)
    Thanks for ever

2. dan2009

dan2009 New IL'ite

Preethi
    As for PM.. I am showering you with questions from here in bangalore.. what makes you think that i wont do the same there..;)
    Thanks for everything..
    Regards
    Dhanya

1 person likes this.
  3. Drpreethis

Drpreethis Gold IL'ite

I am, isnt ? :) Anyone who replies to our queries before we land in an alien country seems like one ! :) THough I didnt need one angel as such ( because my hubby already lived here by then ) I can understand how it feels.. :))

BINGO ! That is exactly why I said that. :) As newbies to the city, it helps to stay in furnished studios, to venture the place. Also, the advantage is this one is on Main St { which btw is THE MAIN street :)) .. } it is like a heart of the county ( which is city in Indian terms ) .. The place I suggested is walkable to the grocery and also to the library etc.. ( trust me, library is a solace for newbies esp, with kids ) So, you can come in, check in ( like in hotel, yeah ) and start whatever little cooking you want to do. Just make sure you carry some rice assortments like chutneys and thokkus so that you can handle the first few days / weeks.. :) THere is an Indian grocery close to it. The only problem is I ONLY HOPE IT IS AVAILABLE.. :( You better call and check.

I am not too sure about this, Dhanya. But, as you say, kids should be rightly allowed regardless of which visa status they are in. Logic. But wether it holds good in the schools around Woburn, you need to check. Hey, but the important thing is, you dont have a choice even if it is otherwise isnt ? So, come over and then you could figure it out :)

Why isnt your hubby's company not doing the booking ? Usually getting here the first time is the company's responsibility isnt.

However, you could check websites of British airways, Lufthansa .. these come directly to Boston Airport. There are many which come to NYC ( New york city ) or to NJ ( new jersey ).. like Emirates, Qatar, Jet Airways, Air India etc etc but then, you need to check in to a connecting domestic flight from there on. So, look for something direct to Boston from Blore.

I hope these work.. You could also check the price difference with some travel agents there. Just keep checking every day, the minute you see something between 1000-1400 go ahead and book it.. Simply because that is THE BEST deal you can get during summer time. Moreover since yours is a one way trip.. you can expect more than 1500 too. I know its pricey.

You can visit websites as
    ba.com
    Cheap Flights, Airline Tickets, Cheap Plane Tickets, Cheap Airfare
    kayak.com
    www.bookingbuddy.com/Airline_Tickets

Trust me when I say, you can count on me ! :) I said it because thats what you must do when you visit a different country.. CALL FRIENDS ! :))

Take care, Dhanya.

4. dan2009

dan2009 New IL'ite

Preethi

The company is a start-up.. taking its baby steps..so no HR..and the ticket bookings done by us,paid by the company and it is a round trip one, as we will be coming back in 3-6 months.
    I checked with jameson properties, the minimum stay is 4 weeks. The main street property is bit far away from burlington mall.. right..?

As you said we prefer airlines with minimal stopovers and direct to Boston, British/luftansa.. which is child-friendly? Few more posts and i willbe able to access my inbox .. whhuh..:)

5. Drpreethis

Drpreethis Gold IL'ite

Dhanya,

Forget about the distance between Burlington, just get into the property and then move on to a different apartment. The bus to the mall doesnt stop by at Main St though. The library is near but the mall is far away.. ( 15 mins by car )

Also, you need to check the lease term.. most of them have a one year lease. Else you will have to pay up when you leave.

There is one apartment opposite to YMCA Woburn.. I dont remember the name of it though. It is owned by one Steve. They go month by month lease. Pretty good size apartments and not expensive, maybe $1100 for a two bedroom and less than
    $1000 for a single bedroom. I have a couple of friends living there and its good for short term. Only thing being, they are not furnished. Also, the bustop is right infront of the apartment and YES the bus to the mall stops there :) Also, the YMCA is just opposite to the apartment.

Please check the street view of Lexington St Woburn on google map. You get a fair idea then.

Lufthansa and BA both are good enough.

BTW, I thought you already replied to a few PMs of mine on June 4th.. How did you get access then when you say, you are a few short of access to it now.. ? Confused !!! [​IMG]

6. dan2009

dan2009 New IL'ite

Yes Preethi.. i did reply to your PMs, I had access then.. every month you have to make 10 posts to access Inbox/PMs i guess.. :(

7. pd014

pd014 New IL'ite

hi,

My sister has relocated to Boston downtown with 3 yr kid. Anyone is staying close to downtown?? she is looking for indians nearby.
    Also kindly suggest preschools for toddlers.

8. Drpreethis

Drpreethis Gold IL'ite

Your sister needs to visit the local public school of the county she is living in. Suggest her to join indusladies.. and be sure that she will find awesome friends in no time.