1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Religion Is Unfair To Women.

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by HariLakhera, Oct 15, 2018.

1. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

Dear Balaji,
    Yes that is the reality even today. The only consolation is that it is universal and things are changing for good.

2. HariLakhera

Dear Shri Cheeniya,
    Thanks. I spent almost 20 years of my working life in Calcutta and both my daughters grew up there. Though my wife was a little concerned when they attended school and college all by themselves but by and large it is city of culture. The best place to grow up daughters and sons. I have many cherished memories of the good nature of Bengalies. One may blame them for anything but not for their upbringing.

3. HariLakhera

It is difficult to understand the logic but it is said that when a woman takes Kalirupa, there is no stopping her.

4. BhumiBabe

BhumiBabe Platinum IL'ite

Sure, but what is the lesson women are supposed to walk away with? Mythological women are cultural role models- it's a great responsibility.

5. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

It is unfair. Maybe. Yet women continue to be part of it quite willingly. They are the main agent to pass on religious values to the next generation. This discussion can happen in two ways. One is as a debate on each and every doctrine and practice of a religion. Then, yes, it can be proven that a given religion can be interpreted as unfair to women. The other way the discussion can happen is - discuss whether the religion does its job. Gives people a structure to live life by, and mostly allows them to modify the structure as needed. By the second measure, most religions get a favorable score. Except one religion, no religion continues to practice the most anti-women rules in its book.

Who will bell the cat? And why spend energy on that? Who will ask? Whom will they ask? Do we have the time and bandwidth as a nation to go about deleting verses from books? Deleting a temple or mosque results in enough population reduction. : )

Hari-ji, chota muh badi baat - speaking above my ability. Snippet can handle one main topic. Religion. Bringing in DIL/MIL, and work place issues is diluting the main topic.

BTW, the "." in title is interesting. : )

6. poovai

poovai Platinum IL'ite

There are women who opposed the religious beliefs, in every generation.

Today is the day, the Kerala temple is re-opening for this session after the court verdict on women of all age can go to this temple and the Govt gives heavy protection for the women who wanted to make their pilgrimage. We can watch daily breaking news for a week!

Massive BJP protest in Thiruvananthapuram as Sabarimala prepares to reopen

Those women who respects the religious rule stayed away from the temple and the rest, didn't even bother about it. The 2-Political parties made their agenda to get limelight - one group of women making their pilgrimage and another stops them from the pilgrimage.

I follow my grannie's rule - 'nina idathila suthi vanthala swami thaan'. It means, you can pray wherever you are, the God will listen to your prayer. She described the 'Mahabharatha' - Draupadi's prayer to krishna in her own words.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
  7. vrikshakadali

vrikshakadali Silver IL'ite

True, all religions are unfair to women to different extents. Relatively we can say Hinduism has better position for women - Shakti in her different form is considered more powerful than Brahma,Vishnu and Mahesh put together.

Having said that, I would say one of the main reasons women were treated as inferior was because of biology. Women are physically weaker and have times when they are not able to be very active and out an about such as during periods or pregnancy or after childbirth.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
  8. HariLakhera

India is currently celebrating Navratras. In Bengal it is celebrated as Durga Puja. Durga the Mythological women is worshiped in her nine forms. Each one has a message to humanity in general and women in particular. Besides that mythological women are Lakshmi and Saraswati. In short she is the epitome of knowledge, wealth, and power. They have been performing these roles in each household in the form of a daughter, sister, wife, mother. As a mother she is knowledge, wealth and power rolled into one. This is the lesson for modern day women too. Do whatever they may, reach whatever heights they may, nothing can take these attributes from them and they should know that.

9. HariLakhera

Rihanaji,

Thanks for your inputs. You have raised very pertinent points and I would say epics can be debated differently and that is for great souls. My simple understanding tells me that these passages should be removed.
    Now, who will bell the cat. Exactly. Who else? Women, men will never do that. If they are okay with these passages, fine. If not take it to logical end. Women have been fighting on various issues fro dresses to degrees. They can very well try to raise their voice. Above all, religion is the foundation of our society today.
    DIL/MIL are a part of this problem because they do are the product of the same religion. That's the reason I made a small reference here. Of course I will be happy if some one like you can take it up from here. Who can understand a woman better than a woman?

10. HariLakhera

Sabrimala has turned into a political tool. Women against women instigated by men.
    Your grannie gave the gist of her experience in nut shell. Stay blessed.

poovai likes this.