1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Religion: Is It Required At All?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Tamrakshar, Dec 23, 2017.

1. Tamrakshar

Tamrakshar Platinum IL'ite

You are a knowledgeable person. I may differ on some points, but I appreciate your point of view. I agree despite advancing at a rapid rate, science is still unable to solve many mistries. But, you must be aware of some of the breathtaking developments in gene technology. I don't want to discuss them in detail. But, they challenge the so-called God.

I don't think any sane person can deny the role of the British in taking India from the dark ages to the modern age. Yes, they were traders, and took a heavy price. But, they were certainly better than other conquerors. Have you read the famous novel Anandamath written by Bankim Chandra Chatterjee? It was about a rebellion by Hindu sages. Just when the sages were ready to deliver a body blow to the British, there came a heavenly sound from the sky, telling them not to advance with the plan. Why? Because the white people would end the dark rule of cruel Islamic oppressors.

Thanks for your warm welcome! Have I been abrasive in some of my comments? If yes, sorry for that.

2. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

@Tamrakshar,

Thank you for your quick response. Well, I am a long way to go in gaining true knowledge. I keep track of gene technology development. I am closely associated with a company that is into stem cell research as well. Sometimes, I am amazed to what extend the human brain can expand to be as innovative as possible. I wish they apply the same effort in understanding the principle of universal love. I also learn a lot of Quantum Physics related inventions which in my opinion are extremely spiritual in nature making me understand subtle form of existence.

No, I have not read the book written by Bankim Chandra Chatterjee and now that you have mentioned, it increased my curiosity to read that. I have read a very interesting book called "Chariots of Gods" authored by Erich von Däniken when I was 23 years old (40 years back). It explained all happenings in Ramayana and Mahabharata wars as advanced nuclear technological warfare between a very advanced civilization. It systematically explained about the construction of the great wall of China and Pyramids when the cranes didn't exist as an effort by invaders from a different planet.

I have to agree with you that among the oppressors, British had much better principles when compared to Moguls. They at least respected the originality of the countries they occupied.

I can't speak for others but I didn't feel you were abrasive in your comments. In my view, you were just defending your views. There is no need to feel sorry at all and you have every right to defend your views. In fact, when we become a society to discuss sensitive subjects at ease is when we become more civilized.

Viswa

Tamrakshar likes this.
  3. Tamrakshar

Thanks again Viswa ji! Yes, I have heard of Daniken's book from others, but haven't read yet. Time permitting, I would love to read it.

4. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

U mean the dark ages with higher learning institutions like Pushpagiri/Taxila /Nalanda, a flourishing trade and a rich tradition of arts and culture?

Between that and Brits I would take religion any day.

5. Tamrakshar

No, I was not talking about ancient India. I was talking about medieval India.

Rihana likes this.
  6. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

Then u need to choose ur words carefully . We were never in dark ages . Neither in the ancient times nor in the medieval era. Yes we were subject to tyrannical rule of some moghul emperors who had no religious tolerance. For the record Brits were no saints. They were just as cruel. Moghuls atleast made India their home. Brits plundered our country to help feed theirs. Did the the rule of Birtish in someway help us get rid of the tyrannical monarchy. May be. But the price we paid was too great and ur implication that they were some sort of demi gods who came to uplift Indians from their pitiful lives is factually wrong.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
  7. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

So, we should be grateful to the British because they were kind enough to give us freedom after taking it from us ?
    It’s like implying that one should be grateful to a thief that stole ones wallet and returned an empty wallet after stealing the contents .
    And who says India is only about Hindus ? Lot of Muslims took part in the freedom struggle. What happened in medieval India does not justify British rule in India at all. India would have carried itself to modern age without British help . We would have done better devoting time to India’s progress rather than having to fight for our basic rights. That’s a good 89 years that were snatched away from India’s progress.

As for the practice of sati, it was tolerated by the British initially. They could have cared less. It was Ram Mohan Roy along with efforts from a Christian missionary that worked hard to ban sati. Let’s give credit to Indians where it’s due.

Muslims are a minority in India right now and unfortunately treated like second class citizens. India is beautiful because of the religious and cultural diversity. One has to live/ grow up in different states to appreciate it and not have a restricted POV.

Candies are for kids, I prefer to stick to the hard talks !

shyamala1234 and Viswamitra like this.
  8. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

JAG,

I need to take training from you to explain what I was saying in my long response in a few words just like what you did above.

Viswa

9. Tamrakshar

Wrong, we were not free! There was nothing Indian about the Mughal rule. All people in the administration, barring a handful, were foreigners. The entire administration system was foreign. The official language was foreign.

See the fate of the Islamic counties, which India would have been without the British. Do you think they are modern?

Rammohan Roy, and Iswar Chandra Vidyasagar would have failed without the official support. By the way, Akbar also tried to ban Satidaha, but he couldn't succeed.

If Muslims are treated as second class citizens, that's most unfortunate! Are they really?

I was talking about myself.

10. Tamrakshar

OKAY! You are entitled to your views.