1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Religion: Is It Required At All?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Tamrakshar, Dec 23, 2017.

1. bmaquarius

bmaquarius Gold IL'ite

Definitely there wouldn't be a India truncated but Hindustan or Bharat. Would recommend readers to check out shashi tharoor's take on the so called glorious British rule. It could help dispel some greatest misconception that we grew up with, Shashi Tharoor on the politics of colonisation and an overdue British apology.
    By the way the Britain as it exists today seems to have done terribly for themselves given their achievement of ruling the world.

2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

It was the intriguing, intended or unintended, "If you don't agree with it, you are welcome" that made me finally reply to thread after sitting on the fence plucking away at imaginary 'reply', 'don't reply' petals of a flower. : )

The question can boil down to: in the modern era of advanced science and technology, is religion still required.

It is required. Those who follow a religion, or need a formal "religion" for guidelines to live life by, can be lost without the structure religion provides. There are many who follow a religion, believe in God, know about or work in science and math areas or understand it, might even contribute to scientific advancement, choose and practice the parts of religion that they like, are even able to have happy marriages with those who don't believe in religion. May their tribe grow.

84 or 86 percent of the world has faith or is religious. That is a preferable state to such a large percentage being unsure about their "faith" status.

For the record, I am an atheist. Gave God a fair shot before arriving at an alternate conclusion.

3. Tamrakshar

Tamrakshar Platinum IL'ite

"Definitely there wouldn't be a India truncated but Hindustan or Bharat."
    Ha ha! There would have been hundreds of small princely statetes busy in oppressing the masses, and quarreling and fighting among themselves. This was precisely the reason India had always succumbed to formidable foreign aggressors. Maybe unintentionally, but the concept of united India developed due to the British rule. I don't want to go into the deatails, as it can be found in the history books. Even some British people helped in Indian freedom struggles.

I am rather surprised that you are paying so much of importance to Tharoor's arguments! He didn't say anything new. Even I have mentioned the points in this blog. Yes, the British took a heavy price, but so did the Gods. Yes, the British interfered in politics, but so did the Gods. Forget Mahabharat or Ramayana? You must read the history of medieval India to understand how much of upliftment they did.

4. GoogleGlass

GoogleGlass IL Hall of Fame

5. GoogleGlass

GoogleGlass IL Hall of Fame

am an atheist and of similar opinion as yours on the religion but not to the glorification of the british...

6. Tamrakshar

Firstly, thanks for coming forward with a good reply! Now, coming to the point, i can't understand why people should require a set of guidelines to lead their lives! What is required is the set of secular laws, which every modern country has. How does it matter, if a Muslim eats some meat which is not halaal, or for that matter will heaven fall if a Hindu eats beef? How does it make a difference if a Hindu does not take 7 rounds in front of the Fire God while marrying? In short, people can do well even without those religious guidelines.

7. Tamrakshar

What Tharoor said is nothing new. Nothing comes without a price. You just have to read the cruel, oppressive Islamic rules of medieval India to realise how much of upliftment the British did to India.

8. Tamrakshar

When I was a student, and read those history books which glorified Islamic rule and vilified the British rule, I also thought in your line.

9. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

This inability to understand a need of others, and concluding that hence religion might not be needed, is naive at best and at worst the beginning of an impingement on the rights to lifestyle choices by others. As an example, sightseeing - some need a guided tour or a tested itinerary, others need a day, a camera, a few safety guidelines and a brief intro to the place. Would the latter group fancy the former to be let loose in a tranquil place without their guide or itinerary?

"people can do well..." yes. Will they? What are the chances? I know many people who follow religion in various forms. Friends, family (not immediate*), relatives, neighbors, colleagues, people in the community. I would be afraid, very afraid, of religion being taken away from them in any way. As I would be afraid of taking away a child's security blanket. Even a brave and usually happy child would be very lost.

* religion as a "practice" is not allowed in my immediate household. Those under 18 or 21 have been told they can take to it when on their own, not under my roof. But, an understanding of religion and a respect for those who practice it, is advised.

10. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

Very fair assessment and a very revolutionary idea also. We have rule of laws, just follow them. But there is a difficulty. Rules are written by the rulers. The rulers change and the rules also change.
    In one of my blogs, I had also suggested that the obsolete and regressive religious rules should be deleted or amended to suit the changing times. But it is easy said than done. Can someone change the Ten Commandmapents? Can someone rewrite the Gita? Answer is no. This s because it is always safe to follow the often trodden path. If the path is trodden by our Sages and saints, it is all the more safe and non controversial.
    The answer seems to be to follow the rules that have tested the times rather than writing new rules. And again I say, there is no need to invoke God in it. These rules were written centuries ago and have stood the test of times. We can maneuver a little as we always do.