1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Religion and Violence

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by LakshmiKMBhat, Nov 22, 2012.

1. LakshmiKMBhat

LakshmiKMBhat Gold IL'ite

Religion,whether the rituals or beliefs and faiths,is something very personal. We belong to our religion and it belongs to us.
    I have just finished reading The Source by James Michener. It is one of the most fascinating books I have read. I have been literally living in that world, moving from about 10000 BCE to 1964. This book brings to us very vividly the entire history of Jews. The story is based in Makor, a small provincial town near the seaport, Akka,near Jerusalem.
    Religion is supposed to bring peace or maybe spiritual satisfaction, but all through the ages, anywhere in the world, unfortunately, religion and violence have always gone together. There is and has been violence in the name of God. It is so very ironical.

To dominate others, is inherent in human nature. This urge to dominate, is present in all levels; in the family or in society or in the government or in a religion, someone always wants to have control over others, they want to bend others to their will.

Why is is like that? I suppose there is no answer.

It happens all the time.

[FONT=&quot]"Let your religion be less of a theory and more of a love affair". ~G.K. Chesterton[/FONT]

View attachment 173774

2. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

I disagree with your opening line we belong to religion. I have never belonged to religion and never felt like that too. This is just my opinion. That book sounds interesting.