Religion and Spirutualism -The Twelve Azwars-Nathamunikal-The Philosopher-Saint

Discussion in 'Religious places & Spiritual people' started by PushpavalliSrinivasan, Nov 9, 2007.

1. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Nathamunikal

As I had mentioned earlier the Philosopher-Saint Nathamuni went to put extraordinary efforts to recover the hymns of Divya Prabandam from near oblivion. After deriving them he set many of them to music, and rejuvenated the tradition of formally reciting them in the temples. The Divya Prabandam is also chanted in front of the Deity whenever the Deity is taken for Vidhi Ula and the Sanskrit Veda parayanam is chanted behind the Deity. Hence I feel that I would not be justified if I portray only the Alwars Saritham without portraying Nathamunikal’s life history.
    Nathamunikal was born at Viranarayanapuram near Kattumannarkudi to Eswara Battazwar who was doing kaimkaryam at the temple. Nathamuni followed his father’s footsteps from childhood. Later when he was a Youngman he went on yathra to temples in the north and after returning continued his service to Lord. He maintained a Nandavanam near his house and was doing pushpa kaimkaryam by making garland to the Lord. One day some Vaishnavites from Melkottai which is also called Thirunarayanapuram, came to Viranarayanapuram temple to have darshan of the Lord. They recited Nammazwar’s pasuram which begins as Aravamude and finished reciting 10 pasurams. In the last one it was mentioned that “ Kurukur Sadakopan kuzalin maliya sonna orayiraththuL ippathum mazalai theeravallar kaamar maney nokkiyarke.” . Nathamunikal happened to hear them and he was enthralled with their chanting. He approached and told them those pasurams were very nice and asked them if they knew all the 1000 pasurams. They had replied in the negative and then he asked anyone else at their place knew all the pasurams. For that also they replied in the negative.
    Nathamunikal determined to find some one who could help him. He then thought that someone at Thirukurukur (Azwarthirunakar) where Nammazwar was born might be able to help him. At once he went to Azwarthirunakar and enquired many people. He was told it was not only 1000 pasurams, but total 4000, and Mathurakavi Azwars disciple Parankusadasar might be able to help him. Hence he went and met Parankusadasar. He told him that he knew only Mathurakavi Azwar’s “ KaNNInuN SiRuthambu” that contained only 11 pasurams. He advised him to sit in front of the Tamarind tree where Nammazwar used to reside and chant KaNNInuN SiRuthambu 12000 times with deep devotion and concentrated mind.
    Nathamunikal followed his advice and did what he was told. Then Nammazwar appeared before him and asked him what he wanted.
    Nathamunikal told him that he wanted to learn all the 4000 pasurams from him and wanted to compile them. Nammazwar acceded to fulfill his wish. He told him that he would sit behind a curtain and recite the Divya Prabandam and he could write them for the benefit of Thirumaladiyars( Devotees of Lord Vishnu.) He recited the 1000 pasurams that he himself composed and also the rest 3000 pasurams composed by other Azwars. Nathamunikal’s happiness knew no bounds. He wrote all the pasurams on Pattolai as Nammazwar went chanting them. So the lost treasure was retrieved by Nathamunikal with his rigorous and untiring efforts.

To be continued

Nathamunikal Thiruvadikale SaraNam

2. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

It is very apt that you had posted about 'Naadamunigal' the Great Compiler' of 4000 Divya Prabandhams.
    His untiring efforts paid off and we are benefited by his actions.

sriniketan

3. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Hi Sriniketan,
    Thank you for your appreciation.
    Love,
    Pushpavalli

4. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear Pushpavalli
    Thanks you for this article. I so enjoyed reading an d your writing style is very good that i did not like to see the end and wished the stories would go on. Thanks and looking forward to more.

5. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear AC,
    Thank you for your FB. I wonder whether I have the capacity to do justice to your expectation. I feel I am at KG class as a writer and I have to go a long way. Hope that I would learn more by reading articles written by jambavans of IL.
    Love,
    Pushpavalli