1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Relationship Hijack And Banter

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by Rihana, Sep 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Nextdoor, craigslist or other local newsgroups, mailing lists are good places to sell. For items like this, have to be prepared to sell it for much less than its cost, even in like-new condition. Which means should really be desperate to sell. Or, the buyer should be a woman desperate to buy. With a husband who is willing to also buy, and with access to a truck. : )

November, December are the best times to sell as people have families visiting and start to feel that the current table is not good enough.

All that being said, first think if selling it is worth it. What will you do with the space freed up? Will filling up that space be a pleasurable activity or a headache. : ) Will the selling and buying new stuff burn up spousal goodwill. : ) If it is just lying there mostly unused except for placing daily mail on it, and the occasional dusting, let it be. If need that space for something else, then, try to sell it.

Amica and Amulet like this.
  2. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

I like this advice. I follow this when selling something in the stock market or mutual fund. The proceeds should be better used, or must go into something that gets a better return. Or else, it stays where it is.

As students we bought what was cheap. We depended on swanky suburbanites getting that "simpler life" angst, and sell their choice possessions on the cheap. The biggest challenge was to borrow a pickup truck.... or a big car with a roof-rack. Big tables (with right angle corners) that can go in a corner are good things to have in a small flat. We had our TV on one end -- his/her books, notes, mail etc.. one on each side of the TV. And we ate from the other end of the same table. We stored boxes of stuff below the table.

Amica likes this.
  3. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Ladies, how would you react if a colleague (South Asian) tells you that he has many concubines, and he enjoys them, and that's his prestige.
    He is a decent guy though. Never misbehaved with anyone so far.
    He is unmarried, in his late 30s, and I highly doubt whether he has any concubines. Looks like he is having a psychological problem, inferiority complex of staying unmarried for long (unusual in his part of the world for a man to stay single after 35. And he/his family apparently tries their best in bride hunting, but in vain).
    He is good looking though. But I've sensed too much of boasting of late. Like, he thinks all the girls/women are staring at him, they are letting deep sigh desperately, and he thinks that some married women feel bad for not having him as their husband. I take these statements as serious psychological problems only.
    What say you ladies....

4. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

Likely a gay in "closet".
    If a guy is bedding lots of girls, he doesn't need to brag. Wouldn't have time or the energy :blush: to brag.

Gay guys are pretty good looking. They exercise, and take care of how they look. Yes... I think your guy is gay. No need to tell him that, because he knows that already.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
    Deborah, SGBV and BhumiBabe like this.
  5. BhumiBabe

BhumiBabe Platinum IL'ite

Totally agree with this. It's definitely a front.

6. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

Thanks, @Rihana!

I'll start by listing it on Nextdoor. I'm wary of CL, so that's not an option. At the risk of airing my ignorance, what are local newsgroups and mailing lists?

I wish I had listed a couple weeks earlier to catch Thanksgiving hostesses. I'm hoping it's not too late now.

I've already purchased a smaller table waiting for the big one to go. :facepalm:

Spouse is the driving force. We used to host sit-down dinners regularly. But we quit doing that a couple years ago. And he's been campaigning for de-tabling ever since.

7. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

Everything you own also owns you. I like freedom and wish I had stuck with disposable furniture. I was smart as a student, but things went downhill from there.

8. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

CL I am also wary now. Some items like big ones are Ok to advertise maybe. But risk is always there. ND -- I use this also but sparingly. Not keen to meet buyers locally again and hear about how the bought item is doing. : ) Mailing list is a group of email addresses one good person creates for one reason, and gets reused over time for other purposes like selling. Newgroup are yahoo or google groups formed, usually for a purpose like a fund-raiser, or for all people who speak one language, children's activities, etc. Most are not meant primarily for selling, but allow for-sale ad's depending on how strict the moderators are.

wow ... : ) table/atithi tum kab jaoge. when will table go. : )

If spouse is the driving force, and if you both are enthu enough, you could offer delivery for a fixed extra cost. Some people are unable to arrange that themselves. Can rent truck from home depot etc by the hour. But... we are not students any more.. : ) and lifting heavy stuff can be risky. : )

Amica likes this.
  9. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

I didn't think of that. Maybe like pet-adoption offers, I should say I don't need updates or visitatation rights. :p

Thanks for explaining. I guess this is my punishment for refusing to share my email address.

I considered this. We know a guy with a truck but he's not insured. And I don't want to be responsible for any damage once it exits my front door.

:lol: Lifting this behemoth is impossible for us. It took 4 tagda (hefty) guys to carry it in.

10. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

I doubted this too. There is a possibility.
    But what I doubt is, he speaks against Gays. Our office has a non-discriminatory policy on this.
    But this guy speaks very much against Gays, as if it is a psychological issue.

I doubted him as impotent, asexual or may be inferior psychologically. I don't know, and I don't really care. Just, felt curious about this matter; hence posted.
    Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.