1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Relation between eating certain food during pregnancy Vs Eczema/allergy

Discussion in 'Infants' started by pray2god, Jan 13, 2010.

1. pray2god

pray2god Senior IL'ite

I am trying to find this information from all the mom's in this forum.

Is there a definite relation between eating certain foods during pregnancy and your child developing a specific allergy/eczema later on.

Have any of you experienced this with your child and were able to relate it to a certain food consumed during pregnancy?

I have been reading about how eggs and peanuts specifically should be consumed in very limited quantities when one is pregnant as there is a good chance that the child develops an allergy later on.

Any tips/ suggestions/ information regarding food habits during pregnancy Vs allergy will be useful.

2. mridusudha

mridusudha Silver IL'ite

I have no clue about this!!..Actually this is the first time I am hearing such a thing...
    I ate everything during pregnancy..I think eggs and peanuts are good sources of protein...Also, my Lo is only 5.5 months old..so got to see if he is allergic to anything!!

One of my friends 2nd son is allergic to all pulses like toor dal, moong dal etc..But she ate those even before she got pregnant..And moreover her 1st son is not allergic..

So I am not sure if there is any relation between eating during pregnancy and allergies for babies..

Just my opinion...

Let's wait to hear from others..

3. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

The current batch of research says there is a link between what a mother eats when she is pregnant and whether a child is allergic to certain foods. You may find this an interesting read.
    From what I have read, the child could inherit the tendency to have allergies, not necessarily the exact same allergies as the parents. So, it is best not to eat in excess the common allergens. But if you have peanut allergy or egg allergy running in the family, avoid those foods completely.
    All children of a mother will not have allergies - for example, I have definite intolerance to toor dhal, but not my siblings. I have been asthmatic since I was 13, but neither of my siblings have any issue with either asthma or food intolerance. Here is another link on how to avoid allergies in your child if you are pregnant.
    From a mother with extensive allergies who is trying to keep her child free of allergies - mine has two intolerances yet a) to milk b) to soy. Good luck, healthy and happy pregnancy wishes for you.