1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Rejecting All-girls, All-boys School, College?

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by Rihana, Aug 25, 2016.

1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

When we were growing up, some parents used to simply refuse to send child to co-ed school or college. Even if the co-ed school/college was a reputed one and provided a very good education.

As a parent now, I am against sending my child to a girls-only or boys-only school or college. No matter how great the school is, and how good it might be for my child's future.

Thoughts?
    Any parents who are against sending child to single-gender school, college?
    Is my way of thinking not much different from that of parents of years ago?

2. Induslady

Induslady Administrator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Rihana,

You are not alone thinking like this for this generation kids. Atleast I'm with you :)

I only wish there are more fields of work that are women-only and men-only. Then probably I would prefer girls-only and boys-only schools/colleges for my kids.

Edit to add more:
    @Rihana
    I see IL'ites pouring in some solid reasons why they would prefer co-ed for their kids. Let me include a very simple one mothering 2 younger kids: I want my son to learn how to put up with mean girls and my daughter to learn how to put up with annoying boys :grin:.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
    KashmirFlower and Rihana like this.
  3. Akanksha1982

Akanksha1982 IL Hall of Fame

Would prefer co-ed for my children. It just creates confidence in the children to face the world and know each other. Rest everyone comes with their own destiny.

KashmirFlower, momsky and Rihana like this.
  4. SeekingMind

SeekingMind Silver IL'ite

I would never send my kids to single gender school but I am fine with such colleges.
    Reason being I believe, kids, when they are small and school going age need to have interaction with opposite gender for better personality development but once they reach college age ie.,18+ it really doesn't matter anymore for their personality development or psychological growth. They have reached adulthood. So, if the college is all girls or all boys and it is really a good one then I would say go for it. But, if the child wants to go to co-ed college then I wouldn't have any objection either. Afterall, some may find single gender places boring .....:laughing:

dc24 and Rihana like this.
  5. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

Tsk, tsk, tsk R, what's with all this gender-normative, hetero-normative, cis-gender privilege? Get with the times, lady!
    :mad::icon_writing::smash2::oops:

vaidehi71 and Rihana like this.
  6. blindpup10

blindpup10 Platinum IL'ite

Good topic @Rihana-
    Although I don't have kids of are college-going age. I can only tell my mother's train of thought-
    My mom went to all girls school and co-ed college. My mom struggled in college to talk to her male classmates. Being from a conservative family and society structured.My mom pulled through college but when she started to work- it seems to have affected her quite a lot. My mom just felt she didn't know the norms of talking to her male colleagues. My mom is also an introvert and shy person. It took her awhile to get along with male colleagues.

My father didn't make it easy for her either- my father also went o all boys school and co-ed college. My dad had tons and tons of male friends popping into our house and the business. My mom felt she was so much overburdened to interact with male in just few years of being an adult.

As she faced so much struggle in college and work environment she particularly made sure that we went to co-ed schools from a young age as if we see boys as friends. There will be less attraction value attached to just the "male" identity and more confidence when it comes to be around male be in work/ MIL's/ even with DH. That is something my mom couldn't do of the way she was raised.
    Of course, we live in a very different generation and different lifestyle. Hypothetically if my kid is college going- I would want him to be in co-ed throughout. Having female friends and treating women respectfully is very important.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
    KashmirFlower and Rihana like this.
  7. sslkgpaa

sslkgpaa Gold IL'ite

Are there any such right now? In US I guess you have no option, all co-ed schools and colleges.

Rihana likes this.
  8. Rihana

Private schools and colleges can be single gender.

9. Rihana

LOL. Tell us your college name, and we'll be sending our kids there no questions asked whatsoever. No really... I seriously would. : )

10. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Went to a girls-only schools 10 out of 12 years of schooling. Honestly, I had fun! Didn't miss boys. But looking back, there were some pros and many cons to it. I knew plenty of girls who lost their bearings the moment they entered a mixed-gender environment like college. I'd consider it only if it were an Eton or Harrow like school with a 500 year old history and name recognition. Otherwise no, I wouldn't send my child to one.

jskls, Induslady and Rihana like this.