1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Regarding Solid Food Preparation Methods

Discussion in 'Infants' started by Needtobestrong, Jan 27, 2017.

1. Needtobestrong

Needtobestrong Platinum IL'ite

I have certain doubts about preparation of solid feeds for babies from age 6 months onwards..
    1. Is it necessary to sterilise the containers , spoons used for preparing solid food like cereals, rice etc..till what age do u sterilise spoons and cups and vessels used for feeding baby..at what age can we stop sterilising and just wash with soap and warm water?
    2. What do you use to mash baby food for baby who is yet to develop teeth? Hand mashing, or mashing with spoon or mixie or hand bender?i mean steamed fruits, veggies, rice etc which have been cooked in cooker..
    Which is more hygienic way of mashing food?
    3. When is the best time to introduce sipper to baby..
    4. Is it a good idea to give juices to babies? Why do some doctors advice not to give fruit juices to babies?
    5. If baby takes 3-4 solid meals a day, how much water to give..apart from formula milk..

cliona likes this.

2. blindpup10

blindpup10 Platinum IL'ite

Hi

1. I stopped sterilizing the milk bottles at around 12 month. I never sterilized my DS cups, spoons or containers. Just clean washed utensils.
    2. I mashed the baby food with a potato masher or get something like this one Amazon.com : NUK Mash and Serve Bowl for Making Homemade Baby Food : Baby Dinnerware Sets : Baby. I used pressure cooker to cook the veggies and make porridge with the steamed veggies. Sometimes things like beetroot has be mashed even after they are pressure cooked. Don't worry too much you will get a hang of it, once you start doing it.
    3. The ideal time for the sippy cup to be introduced is around 8th month.. although I introduced it at 8th month my DS didn't take on to it. Now when he is 16 month he naturally uses sippy cups without me pushing him to use it. Your LO should know to uses sippy cups or drink from a tumbler/ glass by the age 2. So, introduce the sippy cups but dont pressure him.
    4. I didnt give juices apart from prune juice when my DS was 6 months old. Prune is the only one I gave coz it will help babies poop easily. I think the juices are discouraged at 6 months coz babies can fill up on juices and its not a good idea for them to drink more liquid apart from milk. This is the time that they should learn to eat solids-- therefore juices are discouraged.
    5. I gave water after every meal. It depends on every child. Some drink more water some dont. But definitely, watch your child's needs and keep them hydrated.

Goodluck

Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
    cliona, Needtobestrong and GoneGirl like this.
  3. aspha

aspha Gold IL'ite

1. I never sterilized anything except milk-bottles.
    2. I mashed up it a spoon, steamed food is so easy to smash, didn't feel the need for separate masher.
    3. Around 7 or 8 months is good time to introduce sippy cup
    4. Juices have more sugar than the actual fruit. Plus they have no fiber in them which can lead to constipation.
    5. My pediatrician asked us to give 2-3 tablespoons of water just to "wash-off" and develop a taste for water.

Needtobestrong likes this.
  4. Needtobestrong

Thanks to both of u for the inputs..
    I thought it was necessary to sterilise cup spoon etc similar to feeding bottles..I have purchased mild cleanser meant for baby accessories..I'm using that to wash cup spoon etc.
    I have tried mashing with spoon but steamed veggies and spoons do not get mashed to fine purée like mixer or blender...baby finds it difficult to chew and swallow. And makes retching noices and spits out the food unless it's finely mashed..
    So I'm dependant on mixes and blenders for now..

blindpup10 likes this.
  5. blindpup10

blindpup10 Platinum IL'ite

Every baby is different. That being said- do what is right for your baby. Sometimes mainstream ideas may not work out for you or your child.
    Also start off with fine purees and eventually around 8th month just do a veggies mash- because the slow transition will help children adopt and learn.
    Regarding the baby difficult to chew or swallow- talk to your Pediatrician during the next visit. Your kid must be able to swallow or even gulp down stuff like green peas mashed things in coarse texture At around 8th month.

cliona and Needtobestrong like this.
  6. radhaparth2000

radhaparth2000 Platinum IL'ite

If you are using plastic or fibre material bowl or spoon for feeding your baby, please do sterilise them. It's more prone to develop infections if not sterilised properly.

If you use silver or stainless steel, after regular wash sun dry them or rinse with hot/warm water befor will very use.

7. Needtobestrong

I have some more doubts so bumping this thread..
    I have been using spoon and mixie or hand lender to mash rice, dals, fruits, boiled veggies etc..if i try to mash with spoon and give my baby she starts gagging and retching...at more than 8 months of age..how can make the transition from fine puréed food to coarse textured food?
    Also for preparing rice, please tell me correct procedure for making and mashing rice for baby..I keep rice separately for my baby...for example if I keep about 1 teaspoon rice and add water liberally and keep for 6 whistles, and after steam goes off I try mashing with spoon still I'm not satisfied with the softness of the rice...i notice that if I keep more quantity of rice it comes soft..but for baby I'll keep only small quantity..pls guide how to make soft rice..have tried soaking in advance, but not helpful..

cliona likes this.
  8. soumya234

soumya234 Platinum IL'ite

My kid didn't eat even semi-coarse food till 11 months. So its ok if she can't. Take it slow. I don't know why even after 6 whistles, rice is not in mashed consistency:nomouth:. Since the quantity will be very less, try using a small stainless steel bowl for 1 spoon rice + water or like moms used to do, stacking containers with dhal in one, rice in one types. Fill the bottom of the pressure cooker with water & insert these bowl and cook for 6 whistles & see. I bought a 2 liter pressure cooker for cooking baby food and within 4 whistles, it came like mashed. Hope others give their suggestions.

9. Needtobestrong

@soumya234.. Thanks, nice suggestion will try it.

10. cliona

cliona Silver IL'ite