Regarding school admission

Discussion in 'Schools/Playgroups/Daycares in Abu Dhabi' started by dhavalinst, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Avnipriya

Avnipriya New IL'ite

Hi Navis,

You helped me in shortlisting a nursery for my daughter in Feb of this ear. I need your valuable inputs in deciding a school for my daughter for Kg1 admission.

I have a 3 and a 1/2 year old daughter who is currently going to Little Buds nursery. I have mostly similar questions to those listed above - hence not repeating them. Something that I wanted to ask you:

1. Considering that most of the schools are shifting to/ are already based in Mussafah, does it make sense to shift to Mussafah? I am not very familiar with that part of Abu dhabi. I or my husband do not have a driving licence yet. We are currently located in Khalidiya.

2. If we do continuing staying in the city, then the only option we have for an Indian based school is ADIS, is it? Or is there some other school I am missing out on? What about Leens?

3. What is your feedback on the school your children are going to - Sunrise (I hope I have that correct)

4. Could you rank these schools from a KG perspective (general ranking in your opinion is fine) : ADIS, ICK, Bhavans, Sunrise, Wisdom, Sherwood, EFIA and Merryland.

5. Even if Delhi Private School does open by April, do you think they will be able to hire quality teachers in time for the session start?

Your inputs are highly appreciated, as always!

~ Avnipriya

2. vipsy

vipsy Senior IL'ite

hey avnipriya,
    even my son is in lil buds nursery he is 2.10 now
    from ur above queries,i think tht sherwood n marrylands same n thy follow IGSE n rest r CBSEschools..
    Earlier it was sherwood named n followedc cbse but nowfrom 2013 thy r shutting thr ols school n moving to mussafa..u can find d admission info for thtparticularschool here..
    SHERWOOD GROUP OF SCHOOLS
    so whts ur preference ? CBSE OR IGSE?
    i m also travelling on as ame boat..so hunting informations for kg1 admissin..

3. Avnipriya

Avnipriya New IL'ite

Hi Vipsy,

Frankly, I am not sure if we should take up IGCSE or CBSE.

I believe IGCSE is the British syllabus - they are taught British History, Geography etc ... basically the O level syllabus.

If we need to go back to India after a couple of years, will IGCSE school children get admission in CBSE schools in India? Are you aware?

Avnipriya

4. navis

navis Gold IL'ite

hi,vipsy

to me sunrise seems to be ok regarding studies,and activities (drawing, singing, music ,dancing,speech devp.,event org.) but sports part they dont have till 3rd grade.lets see what other parents comment abt the school.

I never had any luck in lucky draws so never tried it dear,but u can surely try,least the school ask for 50dhs for application forms.so why not fill it and give a try.

5. navis

navis Gold IL'ite

hi, vipsy and avni

IGCSE and ICSE are international quality syllabus.and CBSE is purely based on Indian Syllabus. both the levels have their own level of plus and minus.

CBSE academic yr starts at april.
    IGCSE academic yr starts by september.
    so in course if u try shifting to any foreign land O level helps u as there u wont be available of cbse sy. and kids dont have to face difficulty to their english accent. and the academic yr starts through out evenly
    but if u get ur kid admitted in o level and after a yr or so u would like to transfer them to cbse in uae,then they might lose an yr.due to difference in starting of academic yr.

fee structure also differs-just increase ur budjet to 3 times for fees in o level schools than in cbse. according to the fee structure the facilities also increase in o level schools. but cbse what so the fees, they provide the same facility and stick to the book based knowledge.

hi.vipsy

sherwood belong to merryland group. 2yrs back they changed their level from Cbse to IGCSE,and last yr merryland did the same thing. and application forms which u are talking about is for next session ie.sept2013-14.

hi, avnipriya

as the offical stated by Uae laws, by 2013 all indian villa schools has to be shifted out of the city to some safer and free zone areas. so all k10 and k12 schools will be out of the city range, but nurseries , andkg can be working in an open safe zone in citylimit . so u would find the nursery and kg working as normal. either u can get ur kid registered in one of these kg schools for nxt 2yrs and then u ca get admission in one of the k10 or k12 schools from 1st grade.but every yr the race for admission is due increasing so, bettter think abt that too.

even we shifted to mussafa frm AD this yr due to kids schooling,but that wont be a problem, as u can send ur kid by bus if u and kid are comfortable with it.and getting driving licence is not a big deal , u can have it within 2months ,just need little more active practise,.

leens will continue working with kg sections but all other grades will be shut down.

Dps till now no official news, so exact idea abt their openings and vacancy are still blind.

just visit to admission started for 2012-13 forum in induslady for ratings abt all schools in abudhabhi, so u can have an idea.

6. Avnipriya

Avnipriya New IL'ite

Thanks Navis,

Regarding kg schools in the city - I am not sure there are any. Can you name some for my benefit pls.

ICK, Giggles, Leens, St Josephs, Our Own - all of them are either shutting down or moving to Mussafah. Only Adis is city limits as far as I am aware. Which other kg is there within the city?

Only nurseries can continue to function in villas as they fall under the Dept of Social Affairs. Kgs come under Ministry of Education - hence they cannot function in villas anymore.

Pls advise, if I am wrong.

Warm Regards,
    Avnipriya

7. Avnipriya

Avnipriya New IL'ite

Hi Navis,

I was wrong about Leens. They will continue with their kg in the same premises (within the city) apparently. But they will take in only children from their nursery and no where else. Not sure how they are continuing in spite of the new regulation.

Besides Leens, where other kg can I consider within the city?

Warm Rgds,
    Avnipriya

8. navis

navis Gold IL'ite

hi, avni

kg sections are granted permission to function in city limit if the parent schools are ready for it.

u can look for some nursery in Ad
    Asian international nursery and kindergarden (behind Daral shifa hospital,nazda)
    Nohas ark nursery and kg
    little buds
    wisdom
    Indian islahi islamic school
    Al noor
    Leens nursery

9. jumpingjax

jumpingjax Bronze IL'ite

my dd went to noah's ark nursery and i wanted to have her continue in kg as my friends kids had done, however, they told me that they no longer carry kg1 and kg2 and warned me beforehand that they do not offer 'kg1' per se but only 'presentation 1' now. that could be considered as kg1 but there is no kg2 and when i wanted to transfer my dd for kg2, i may face problems in admission and losing a year if another school does not accept 'presentation 1' as kg1.
    it doesnt hurt to give a try also for the adis lottery just as an option while pursuing other schools as well...