Regarding Feeding problem

Discussion in 'Post Pregnancy Care' started by SSSMagic, Jan 29, 2013.

1. SSSMagic

SSSMagic Bronze IL'ite

Hi ILs,

Am glad to share you all that " am blessed with Baby Girl".(C Section)

Baby is 1 week old & fine BUT i am going through a tough stage now.

Problem 1:

Baby is not sucking in the nipple and so i am forced to use Nipple shield. Baby is intaking milk in the rubber but not in direct nipple. Tried with honey applied over the nipple, situation improved a bit but not fully.

Problem 2:

My nipple is soft and small. Dr suggested string treatment (pull the nipple by stringe) which actually helps but more painful. 3 days i used it to get milk manually and fill it in bottle for baby. But now i even can't touch the nipples. Its painful.

Problem 3:

Milk is also got struck sometimes due to baby not having it directly. So due to that, breast got swelling and hurts more....

Question:

Can we give alternate food supplement to the new born baby (which is suggested by dr) when i have less milk to feed?

If yes, whether the baby gets affected by taking mother milk one time and formula drink next time.

Sorry for the lengthy post and request your earliest response, Thanks.

2. amnilakshmi

amnilakshmi Gold IL'ite

You have no other choice... Doc will not advice you to give any other food except for mother milk.

Please use the sheild ... Milk is more healthier for the baby .. secondly there are people who suffer without sufficient milk production... when you are gifted with that why dont you try to feed the baby...

I did not have milk production and my baby used to cry for milk ... :(

3. Ritikashilpi

Ritikashilpi Bronze IL'ite

Why dont you try a breast pump...my baby also had latching problem...so for initial 1 month i took breast pump..as the pediatrician was against giving any formula...so i bought breast pump ...meanwhile keep on trying different positions to feed ur baby...1ce your baby understood how to latch...leave pumping n get into self nursing....Pump will also help you to store milk specially when u r goin out...

4. Simplicity11

Simplicity11 Silver IL'ite

Hi SSSMagic,
    Congratulations for for being blessed with a baby girl! So glad that everything went well with the birth. I don't have any knowledge yet with the problems you are facing with breast feeding, but came to congratulate you :) Hopefully things get better soon for you with breast feeding. Best wishes!!

5. Ganthimathi

Ganthimathi Gold IL'ite

I agree with amnilakshmi and Ritika.

Breast milk is the only 'the best milk' for baby especially for a newborn. you are blessed with enough secretion.
    First start using the breast pump, it will help to keep the secretion on and also helps in pulling the nipple out if it is small or inverted.

Never pull the nipple with a string. It will hurt the nipple very much. Apply little of your breast milk on the nipple now and then which will help in healing the sore nipple. Leave your nipple uncovered for few minutes and let it become dry in the air.

Put little of your breast milk or some oil on the nipple and slowly roll it with your fingers for 2 to 3 minutes. Nipple will become little bigger and will be easy for the baby for latching. Some newborns take few weeks to learn latching properly until then use the breast pump.

6. LunaDoveDesigns

LunaDoveDesigns Silver IL'ite

Congratulations on the birth of your daughter!

I agree with the others - try a breast pump, or manually expressing (you can find instructions for that here: Hand Expressing Your Milk | Ask Dr. Sears® or here: Medela - #1 Choice of Hospitals and Mothers). The string is probably causing more harm than good. Put a little breastmilk, food-grade oil like olive or vegetable, or lanolin on the nipple for a few days- it will help heal it. Using a pump or hand-expressing will keep your supply up, too.

Don't give up! Mama's milk is the best thing for any baby, and you CAN feed your little girl the way nature intended and the way you want to. Even if you have to use a nipple shield or put breast milk in a bottle for now, it's better than resorting to formula if you have enough milk.

(this is not to say anything against moms who use formula. I didn't have enough milk for my first baby and had to supplement with formula and eventually had to switch entirely to formula before he was three months old.)

7. abathy

abathy Bronze IL'ite

hi,
    first congrats.
    coming to your breastfeeding issue, figure out if you have flat nipples - looks like you are having one. then shields work better and also the syringe method. with the syringe method, don't pull your nipple out. this might be the reason for the nipple soreness.
    as others have rightly said, do not supplement with formula. try to meet a lactation consultant who will be of much help to you.
    do not give anything to baby other than BM. no honey on nipples please. also avoid bottles. give her milk with a dropper or paaladai or spoon. go on to youtube and search for videos that give good advice on positioning and latch. a good latch will ensure that you do not get cracks in your nipples.

1 person likes this.
  8. SSSMagic

SSSMagic Bronze IL'ite

Hi Friends...
    Thanks a lot ...
    Still am trying but no use:-( Taking milk using pump.. But now that too redused.. Am giving 30ml or less than tat that too alternative days.. Am Having milk nearly 1lt,relatives are telling if baby does not suck secreation of milk ll redused:-( Dont kw wat to do... She is a IUI baby we struggled a lot to get her but now i cont feed her properly:-( Giving formula:-( Dha is present more in mothers milk only and it is help in brain and vision development... then wat ll happen for my baby?:-(
    Did any1 give only formula for ther kid?r they active? Smart?

9. LunaDoveDesigns

LunaDoveDesigns Silver IL'ite

Formula is a decent substitute for mothers milk. My forluma fed boy is brilliant (disabled, because of an injury, but very smart) and a friend of mine has two kids, both only formula fed, who are also very smart. All are healthy and happy, too.

10. abathy

abathy Bronze IL'ite

Hi Luna,
    Very sorry, but please do not post such misleading comments. Formula is NOT a DECENT SUBSTITUTE for BreastMilk. Please google for differences in formula and breastmilk. I am not saying formula should not be given, but you cannot compare both and say that it is a decent substitute.