1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Reg: Reducing Usage of Cooking Oil..

Discussion in 'Indian Diet & Nutrition' started by generic, Dec 21, 2015.

1. generic

generic Gold IL'ite

We use Saffola oil for cooking..I want to know ideally how long should 1 litre pkt of oil last in 2 scenarios: 1. For 2 people- Only me and DH at home...2. For 4 people- Me, DH, MIL and FIL..
    For 2 people I noticed sometimes 1 litre pkt oil lasts 15-20 days, sometimes it gets over in 10 days itself and I feel it's a little too much..When 4 people are at home, there it lasts 10 days-2 weeks maybe..If guests come then 1 week..
    We do deep frying only on festivals, like vada , pappad etc ..
    We do not prepare fried stuff other than this..Usually the stiff prepared at home will be oats, bread sandwiches, dosa varieties, idly, upma varieties, poha, South Indian rice varieties like lemon rice, tamarind rice, sambar varieties, rasam varieties etc, chapathis (with less/without oil), Dals, sabjis both North Indian and South Indian style..Pulao,fried rice, biriyani..etc..(Both North and South Indian dishes are eaten by us and not eating out often as elders have sensitive stomach)
    All of us, i.e me, DH, MIL and FIL like to reduce a little weight..
    1. Please provide a few tips specific to Indian cooking to reduce usage of cooking oil?
    2. How long ideally should 1 litre pkt oil last for 2 people and how long should it last for 4 people?
    3. In between, for 1 month we arranged for a cook temporarily as guests had come..I feel the cook has used too much oil in food in spite of us requesting her to use less oil...In future we again have to arrange cook when there is a requirement and I was wondering ..
    How can we make sure that the cook does not use excess oil in cooking?
    I got a suggestion from family member that I can put a small bowl with only required amt of cooking oil and hide the oil can from cook so she can use only that much..Any other techniques that will help?

2. rachgoyal

rachgoyal New IL'ite

ideally 1 ltr bottle of oil shoul last for 3 weeks for two people.

1 person likes this.
  3. generic

generic Gold IL'ite

Sometimes the oil does not last 3 weeks..any suggestions for reducing oil intake while preparing Indian food?

4. chkalyani

chkalyani Gold IL'ite

Drastically reducing oil consumption is also not good. Body should meet with the oil requirement. Better not to go with strict measurements but keep using it as per the requirement of the food items. At times, much oil is consumed for preparation of certain food stuff while at other times, less oil is consumed.

2 people like this.
  5. Noha

Noha New IL'ite

We use (2 persons) 1 litre of oil each 2-3 weeks. And that is too much. We are going to try to reduce it.

1 person likes this.
  6. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

One thing you can do while cooking is to measure out the oil into the pan using a teaspoon or tablespoon, instead of pouring from the bottle. You will only need a few teaspoons for frying, tadka etc for regular cooking.
    A cook will tend to use more oil, as it is faster for them and the food will be more tasty. You can try giving a small quantity of oil but in our family's experience most cooks will do what they are used to.

1 person likes this.
  7. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

I think u are not using too much oil. U are doing good.

for Maid, to give only the oil required to cook for that day (may be 1-2 or 3 table spoon based on the menu of that day), is very very good idea. She can't do anything, but use only that much. hiding the bottle/dabba is important.

just Sharing some info:
    Instead of oil, u can use, ground nuts or sesame seeds either in coarse powder format, or add seeds while cooking, if gives good fat with fiber.

u can also consider adding other nuts like pistachios, almonds, cashews, walnuts, etc to your dishes , which have good fats (HDL) and fiber and vitmins and minerals, gives good taste without adding much oil.

I read that instead of using one type of oil all the time, if we switch to one oil to another it is good like this month sesame seed oil, next month olive oil, next ground nut oil, rice bran oil etc.

good oils are Olive oil for cooking, extra virgin oilve oil for salads, some oil are good for deep frying because of the way it changes at high heats (don't remember much about it, but olive oil is not for deep frying)

More than oil consumption, the way food cooked like deep frying, or simply pan frying for too long till all vegetable water evaporates, or simply too much cooking, outside food etc will be harming to us.

1 person likes this.
  8. generic

generic Gold IL'ite

True..sometimes I overcook vegetables and they lose their freshness to some extent.

9. AaravShah

AaravShah Guest

Indian cooking unfortunately uses a lot of oil in the cooking process. While there are various suggestions for the ideal intake of oil there is no fixed amount applicable to everyone. Factors like age, lifestyle etc also need to be taken into consideration. However, constant efforts should be made to reduce oil intake as much as possible for healthy and balanced diet for the entire family.

1 person likes this.