1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Reg : Birthday party Celebration in Orphanage

Discussion in 'Birthday Party Planning' started by Smitham84, Aug 23, 2013.

1. Smitham84

Smitham84 Gold IL'ite

Dear ILs ,

My DD's 2nd Birthday is on September 26th and I need your suggestions to celebrate it in an orphanage/Old Age Home .we had a very grand party for her 1st b'day but this time we think that we can donate that amount to an orphanage instead of shredding money for a party .

And also I thought of cutting a cake in the orphanage , but my DH says that it may hurt the children there because they may think that they dont have such B'day celebrations because they are orphans . Please let me know your view on this .
    and also please let me know your experience if anybody celebrated b'day in an orphanage .. will they allow our friends/relatives also there?should we arrange lunch or they only will do it ? will it be nice to give any return gift to the kids there ?

Thanks in Advance ,

SadhnaMishra and breeze01 like this.

2. rakinya

rakinya Platinum IL'ite

Smitha,

It's so nice of you on your decision to celebrate your dd's birthday in an orphanage. I personally feel cutting the cake would definitely hurt the children there. You can arrange for a grand lunch for them on that day. And surely it will be nice if you give them some gifts like books,crayons,pens etc.

2 people like this.
  3. santipremika

santipremika New IL'ite

Nice decision to share your joy with the less fortunate.
    you can celebrate your little one's birthday by providing meals/snacks to the inmates there and giving them small gifts if your budget permits.
    Your husband has a very valid point.If you are celebrating in an orphanage, it's better to restrain from adorning your daughter in an expensive and grand attire and cutting cake there as it involves small children, but if you select an old age home, you can relax these concerns a little.
    advance birthday wishes to the little princess.

1 person likes this.
  4. superwoman09

superwoman09 Gold IL'ite

Hi Smitham84

Advance b'day wishes to the lil princess.

My heartfelt request - Please do not celebrate b'day in an orphanage.

I once had been with a relative of mine who was celebrating her kid's bday there. They cut the cake as well too and no doubt the kids there celebrated and ate the cake with relish asking for second, third, fourth helpings but somewhere at the back of their minds I could read their sadness when I interacted with them. The parents were busy with the kid and arrangements, I being a relative had free time to mingle with the kids there. They asked me questions about my child and what I do and will my child be with me and how I plan to do things with her. The questions their innocent minds asked I was reduced to tears.

Close relatives are allowed. Lunch was given by them, you can decide menu and donate but basically will have to eat whatever their cooks make. no outside food was allowed in that orphanage. Also they did not allow gifts but one could donate necessary items like grocery stuff or kids stuff. They gave a list of things which they were short of and one could either give cash or arrange for items as the person wishes.

1 person likes this.
  5. Dinny

Dinny IL Hall of Fame

Smitha
    I support what your DH said...those children might get hurt,though they may not show.
    Instead of celebrating you can distribute chocolates or small gifts for them.

1 person likes this.
  6. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Its commendable that you want to celebrate it in an orphanage but I do agree with with your DH. If you must distribute cake, how about cutting it at home and then taking it there?

Also, I really don't mean to discourage you here, but I never believed in the concept of celebrating birthdays in orphanages. For two reasons mainly, one: In our enthusiasm to 'give' something to the children there, we are instilling something deeper in their minds, like showing them how they are under-privileged. I know that's not your intention at all but thats how I feel about it and several children do feel it. They will think, "if only i had a parent"....
    Two: A two year old on his birthday should be surrounded by his friends and family, have a theme party, tear open the presents and in general be the star of the day. He needs to feel special and from what I saw before in the orphanages, he is not going to have 'fun'.

Like I said, by no means I am discouraging you but thought I would share my view about this. If you must do something on his birthday, how about paying for the entire day's food there instead of actually 'celebrating' there?

Different perspective...something to think about.

7. thegirlygirl

thegirlygirl Platinum IL'ite

dear op,

i think your husband is right in saying that. better take the cut cake there, and make the orphans feel special.

i think it is better to arrange for lunch yourself, and distribute it yourself between the orphan children with the help of your child and family members., rather than just paying for it.

this will give you and your child punya( good deeds), it will be a very pleasant experience, and also you cannot trust anyone easily these days.

if you want to take gifts then confirm the number of children there. you can call them and ask them if they will allow your relatives there

1 person likes this.
  8. breeze01

breeze01 Platinum IL'ite

that's a very good idea and very good advices from other ladies.. you can have a simple party at the house with cake cutting,inviting friends,relatives.. in the evening or next day whatever time possible you can provide food and some supplies for the kids...

2 people like this.
  9. Smitham84

Smitham84 Gold IL'ite

@ Rakinya , Santipremika , Superwoman,Dinny ,Rakhii,Girlygirl & breeze01 ..

Thank you all for the immediate responses and wonderful suggestions . I was so confused and you all made me so relaxed :) . And thanks a lot for the B'day wishes for my DD .
    Now i'm planning like this - we will do cake cutting at home and will go and have lunch with the kids there( as Rakhi suggested, we'll try to sponsor the entire day's food ) . Will try to get some gift for them if they allow us .

More suggestions are welcome !

2 people like this.
  10. SadhnaMishra

SadhnaMishra New IL'ite

Dear Smith am 84,

I liked the fact that you taking advice and discussing it. My brother actually started a project recently in Delhi. The Shared Birthday Project, I am sure you'll love it. It is build on the concept of celebrating two birthdays together, one of the child at the orphanage, shelter home or a learning centre and another an outsider like me and you.

Ineedhelp1 likes this.