1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Refrigerator Dilemma

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by Vedhavalli, Nov 8, 2021.

1. Vedhavalli

Vedhavalli Platinum IL'ite

I'm buying a new stainless steel double door refrigerator. I have a good refrigerator 17cuft top freezer one 5yr old, earlier thought to sell the old one.
    Now thinking should I keep both refrigerators...
    One in garage and one in kitchen...
    DH says whatever you decide.

Sometimes I feel one fridge not enough sometimes think why will I need 2?
    Unable to come to a conclusion.
    Demographics: We are a small vegetarian family, friends visit often. I cook all 3 meals daily.
    Thinking to switch to cook 1 time a day and store for the rest of the day.
    Buy perishable groceries every 10-15 day once.
    Freezer usage mainly frozen veggies, patties, ice-cream, paneer, rolls, frozen fruits, masala powders etc.
    Thinking what to do?
    Do you have 2 refrigerators, if yes what you store in both?

2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Technically more than 2. : ) I store lot of chicken and seafood for Indian cooking, and some American food for the kids.

For your lifestyle (daily cooking) and vegetarian household, a 17 cu feet refrigerator in the garage is too much. Furthermore, a garage refrigerator should be there only if you first feel the need for it. Sell this old one. Enjoy the new steel one. Use that for a few months. If you feel the need for additional freezer or refrigerator storage, then buy a smaller one for the garage.

For under $300, there are options like Best Buy's store brand Insignia or Magic Chef.
    https://www.bestbuy.com/site/insign...eezer-stainless-steel/6445074.p?skuId=6445074
    https://www.bestbuy.com/site/insign...jw7Zcmf6y7rMM766rvsaAoHrEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Magic-C...3p3PD9cRcDzNTt7OPyAaAh6oEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

These have a small footprint (22x22 inches), have good reviews and often go on sale. If the garage does not have permanent shelving, this refrigerator can go in the corner next to the garage door rails, so it doesn't interfere with opening car doors.

Between my friends and me, we have bought about 7 Insignia freezer/refrigerator models that we have in the garage. All under $300, I think. No problems for over 5 years. The menfolk were not keen to try an unknown brand. Ha ha. : )

Though, I don't know how the supply chain issues are going to impact small refrigerator prices. If you decide to buy a new one for the garage, there might be a long wait.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2021
    Vedhavalli, MalStrom and Laks09 like this.
  3. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Yes.
    I don’t like cluttering my kitchen fridge with multiple milk containers, extra eggs, extra pickles, podis from india etc. Those stay in the garage fridge. I also store rice flour/besan and other flours that I don’t use daily in the garage fridge. I also use the garage fridge to store chilly powder, haldi, masala powders that I bring from India. It’s my stock of anything that comes from India. I freeze vathals/papads that I bring from India in the freezer. Costco frozen veggies/samosas etc go there. Anything from the garden that I can freeze also goes there. I used to hide ice creams and snacks that I don’t want my family to know about in the garage fridge and replenish a little at a time. My son has figured that out and goes and gets it now!

4. mangaii

mangaii Finest Post Winner

Keep your old fridge
    I gave away mine and I realized little late that it was a much needed one . I get all spices bulk from India . Right now my freezer has very less space for local items. We are vegetarian family of 4 and even I like to shop once in two weeks but main fridge can hold only so much . Don’t waste money/time on selling your old fridge . Keep it for few days and by a month or two you can tell if you need it or not .

Vedhavalli likes this.
  5. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

I think its good to keep both. Please keep the fridge switched on after moving it to garage to avoid any fungal issues. I also have double door refrigerator in our kitchen and chest freezer in our garage. Its helps me to avoid frequent shopping. I can buy fresh vegetables any time from local stores. I keep the unopened bags or boxes in chest freezer and once its opened keep the remaining in our kitchen freezer. In my experience its good to have an extra refrigerator, gives extra freezer space and place to store beverages, indian flours or similar groceries. It wont take much space and you dont save much money if you sell it. So keep your old fridge and see how its going.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2021
    Vedhavalli likes this.
  6. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

I find a second freezer more useful than a fridge, especially during the pandemic. But since you already have the fridge you can hang on to it. It can be used to store beverages, cold drinks and long-term condiments like pickles etc. The freezer section can bu used to store masalas, flours etc.

Vedhavalli and Rihana like this.
  7. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Same for us - freezer is more useful. I have a small upright freezer in the garage and it was a lifesaver during the pandemic.

Vedhavalli and MalStrom like this.
  8. Vedhavalli

Vedhavalli Platinum IL'ite

Thank you ladies, thinking to keep both for now!
    You ladies are my go-to counsel's

Laks09 likes this.