Reducing belly fat in guys? need special breakfast recipes??

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by anika987, Dec 11, 2013.

1. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Husband has a beer belly these days :((

He thinks after marriage and kids,looks do not matter much.I am not obsessed with looks but that big belly is too horrible for the eyes:((

He says that I should accept him for who he is as he did accept me for who I am but I am not the one with a big belly even after kids!

Finally he relented and is ready to eat healthy BUT tasty food! he has no time for exercise:((

Do give me some good recipes especially for breakfast.thank you

2. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Re: Reducing belly fat in guys?

No replies :(

3. sudhajay

sudhajay Silver IL'ite

Hi Aruna,

Even am also in the same situation. My husband also put so much weight after marriage and got big belly too. for the past one month i have done few changes in food.
    Please don't skip breakfast at any cost. because of this they eat too much during lunch.
    Avoid eating outside. Don't forget to pack his lunch box. In office cafeteria they eat too much oily, spicy food which is not good. If you pack his box then quantity will be bit less compared with outside food. So please pack his lunch box. evening give him snacks like bread or biscuit. then early dinner.

Am following the above mentioned things and am able to see significant changes in my husband. The one and only good thing what my husband is doing is cycling. He started cycling. every day 15 to 20 kms. So this is also one of the reason.

Thanks.. All the best..

1 person likes this.
  4. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Thanks sudha.can you give me some good easy breakfast recipes.He leaves very early and does not eat breakfast.what can I pack for him in a jiffy?

5. krithika16

krithika16 Bronze IL'ite

Hi aruna,

sorry to post here. I tried sending private msg but i got error saying "your inbox limit is exceeded, sender has to delete some msg to receive new one " .

1 person likes this.
  6. thegirlygirl

thegirlygirl Platinum IL'ite

dear aruna,

i can somewhat understand your situation.

but i feel you should also try to accept him the way he is, other than encouraging him to lose weight.
    men generally have a tendency to put on weight around their midsection.
    everyone is different, some remain lean even when eating all the junk in the world, while others remain heavy, inspite of trying their best to maintain a healthy lifestyle.
    and considering the fact we are indians, we generally put on fat around the abdomen.

also it is genetically predetermined, where we will store most of our fat, i. our 'problem area'. for your DH it might be his belly, even if he manages to lose weight, he will still have a little belly.

anyway, getting back to your question, you can make nutritious breakfast for him.
    i'm sure he can spare atleast 10 mins for breakfast, encourage to have his breakfast at home, before leaving, rather than carrying it with him, its much healthier that way. he can carry a snack with him, to have later.

here is my breakfast menu, you can chose from it.

1) poha
    2) upma
    3) green mung dal cheela
    4) yellow mung dal cheela
    5) adai
    6) thalipeeth
    7) ajwain paratha
    8) besan cheela
    9) broken wheat upma
    10) oats uthappa
    11) rava uthapapa

1 person likes this.
  7. Ansuya

Ansuya Platinum IL'ite

Abdominal fat can be an early warning sign of a predisposition towards diabetes, cardiovascular disease, and other health complications. So, I think that while you are concerned for how your husband looks, your efforts in the kitchen may actually end up improving his health. "Beer bellies" in men and "pregnancy weight" in women (as the child enters high school) are not laughing matters anymore.

One of the worst offenders for abdominal fat is too much starch. Most grain-based foods, especially refined ones (white rice, white bread, white pasta) are not good in too-large quantities. Limit quantities of refined starches (potato is also a starch, as is pumpkin) and increase quantities of lean protein. People who eat starch-heavy breakfasts and neglect protein at this meal are doing their bodies a disservice.

Exercise cannot and should not be avoided, for many reasons. There must be something your husband can fit into his schedule. It is unlikely his belly will disappear with dietary changes alone. Walking is excellent exercise. Maybe kick him and the kids out of the house, with orders not to come back until they've walked around the block 3 times (then 5 times, then 10 times, and so on). This way, you can get some time to yourself, too ;)

P.S. If it really is a beer belly, he needs to cut back on alcohol. Or, switch; wine is a better alcohol to drink if someone is watching calories. You drink less of it, and it has a higher alcohol content. Also, beware the munchies; beer bellies are often not so much the result of drinking too much beer, but more a reflection of how alcohol sharpens our hunger and makes us not appreciate how much we're eating when pleasantly inebriated. So, if you're serving drinks and snacks every evening, limit the snacks, or swap them out for something low-fat and healthier.

1 person likes this.
  8. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Oh ok.thanks for letting me know krithika.will clear inbox.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
  9. krithika16

krithika16 Bronze IL'ite