1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Reduced BM and baby refusing to drink

Discussion in 'Breast Feeding' started by krozwindz, Mar 18, 2010.

1. krozwindz

krozwindz Silver IL'ite

@ Chitra - I work too and thats y no time to pump. I am wfh mother but the work pressure is still there, so that even if i do have time to look after baby's needs, with it taking more than 1 hr to pump , i have no time left for that. My baby's now 5 months 14 days and she breastfed till 4 and half months. Its just now that she stopped. Since its been long now she latched on, the supply is ats its super low. I desperately want to try the sheilds, but dont know whats best in india.

2. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

ladies i am joining the gang too... remember when i said LO wont take formula? now its the opposite, last 4 days she wont nurse at the breast but happily take the bottle.
    we never wanted to bottle her, but she would take only 1/2-1 oz formula from cup+spoon. we tried sippy cup too, she only will take it for water/diluted juice. so we started to bottle her.eventua;lly she started loving the bottle so much so that she wld only latch at nights, and i had to keep pumping duing the day to keep up my milk supply.
    after 4 days of this drama, me and DH decided to chalk out a plan, when LO would get really drowsy and sleepy i would feed her and she wopuldnt object.but if she were wide awake chances were she wouldnt take breast. i kept all bottles out of her sight.... started giving only sippy , cup+spoon or breast... finally today we are back to full time nursing, yeay!
    i am resuming work in a couple f months, but for ladies who already are woking, bottling could only be the option, in that case if i were u, would just go easy on myself.... at the end of the day we want babies to fill their tummies with milk,and though i know BM is the best , and theres nothing like nursing them, we shouldnt be beating ourselves up if we have to bottle them :)
    DH bought some sanity back to me... and i hope i convey the same to u ladies :)

3. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

4. chitmin

chitmin Gold IL'ite

@Krozwindz: I know its really hard to keep to a pumping schedule while working. What I do is try my own 'handsfree pumping' by placing the horns within the folds of my nursing bra--this enables me to continue working while pumping. Kellymom also has a guide for handsfree pumping kellymom.com :: Hands-free pumping
    Like Poonam's LO, even my LO does not eat while awake--he doesn't nurse or take the bottle. So i usually wait till he is sleepy (or rock him to sleep), and then introduce the bottle or breast.
    Since I am out at work all day (I work from 11 to 7.30-8) the LO has expressed milk in a bottle and I nurse him at night. Nowadays I only pump about 2-3 times during the day. It used to take me about an hour and a half to pump initially (I was using the Lansinoh double elctric pump)...But when I started working I switched to the Medela PISA, and thats been super-efficient (it takes me about 15 minutes to pump). I'm not sure if the Medela line of products are available in India tho'...

Nursing the baby and maintaining a supply become so much more difficult once you start working and have all those added responsibilities and stressors... so dont kill yourself over this...you were successfully able to nurse for four and a half months--that in itself is quite an accomplishment, and deserves a big pat on the back!

5. krozwindz

krozwindz Silver IL'ite

All i can say is THANK YOU everyonr for being there.. With all the advice and the experiences.. Its been a great support.

My last ditch effort starts this week. ( Long weekend is helpful :)). Ihave ordered shatvari from himalaya drugs and am going to buy the sheild u showed me poonam... i had checked the internet and found it to be the best one given the circumstances....and then with the holidays.. who knows what miracle can happen..

if not.. i am ready for the inevitable.. :thumbsup

6. shyl

shyl Senior IL'ite

Thank you Poonam and Chitra for boosting my moral. Although I brought nipple shield and LO is trying to latch on but the shield doesn't stay on. Might try later.

As of now my breast feel heavy like I felt in the initial days when my milk supply came in. So I went and rented a hospital grade pump. Voila, it works amazingly.

Poonam, as you mentioned I am not going to stress too much about LO refusing to bfeed. I will pump and feed him whatever I can. One of my collegue at work told me that her LO latched on @ 4months and she never pumped again. I will see if the miracle happens with me too but as of now pumping continues.

Thanks
    Shyl

7. shyl

shyl Senior IL'ite

Sorry Aditi to highjack your thread but just wanted everyone to know that for the past 10days little kiddo is back on breast feeding. The good thing that I did when he refused is rented a hospital grade pump and pumped like crazy as the pump was too good (no noise and no pain)

Unfortunately I had no luck with the breast shield as I was not able to let it stay while he sucked. But as Poonam mentioned I spent more quality time and did more of the bonding that put him back.

One thing I never did was force him bfeeding. If he refused although I cried but never force fed him instead pumped.

Aditi, Let me know if you had any luck.
    Thanks
    Shyl

Last edited: Apr 17, 2010