1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Reduced BM and baby refusing to drink

Discussion in 'Breast Feeding' started by krozwindz, Mar 18, 2010.

1. krozwindz

krozwindz Silver IL'ite

Alisha is 6 months old now. But she has been refusing to latch on for almost a month now. Problem started when i got back to work i would be gone for the whole day and evening and return only after 8. But this was only for the first week and she did latch on once in the night. I shifted to work from home but from that day on she has refused to latch on. I try everyday atleast twice sometines thrice but cant get her to latch on. It like she has forgotten how. N if does somehow latch on, the moment bm gets in her mouth she cries out. She has been drinking the expressed bm though from a bottel. But due to my work schedule and just thought that it takes me atleast an hour just get out 3.5 oz of bm, i have been doing it only one time a day. Also my periods started this month which i know affects supply. Now my work is a little more well managed ( all the backlog of work stored during maternity leave) is under control i willing to start trying with all my heart again.
    Now question, do all the tips that work when baby is just born and we need to increase milk supply, work now after 6 months.
    Is there anything i can do to make my baby latch on again?
    Is it possible that she has forgotten how to , so early?
    R there other reasons possible of y she wont drink directly.?
    Other times she is always with me and there dosent seem any problem with bonding.
    And finally,,, if she does not drink at all, is it ok to let go completely and depend on formula milk?
    Aditi

2. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

hmmm looks like she prefers the flow of bottles now :)

some tips for you

Some babies will become more resistant the more you press the issue of nursing. If you've been working hard to get baby to latch and baby is resisting nursing, it can be helpful to step back for a bit, take the pressure off both yourself and baby, and not try to latch baby at all for a few days. Then slowly and gently work on moving baby through the above stages.

Start out by bottle feeding (or using whatever form of alternative feeding you prefer) in the feeding position you usually use, without trying to nurse. If baby resists being held in the beginning, it might be helpful to feed baby in an infant carrier or perhaps while holding baby so he is facing away from you.
    Work with baby until he becomes comfortable being held in any position, then being held in a nursing position.
    Once baby is comfortable being held in a nursing position, start trying more skin-to-skin contact. Don't actively try to get baby to latch before he is comfortable with skin-to-skin. You want baby to be able to trust being at the breast and cuddling at the breast without the stress of trying to latch.
    When baby is comfortable cuddling at the breast, try feeding (bottle, etc.) at the breast. You're working to get him comfortable with feeding in a breastfeeding position, skin-to-skin.
    Next step, start offering the breast for comfort when he's really relaxed and sleepy, or even asleep. Nursing in the side lying position might be helpful, as this positioning allows for less body contact. Some babies will take the breast after bottle-feeding or partway through a bottle-feeding.
    Once baby is willing to take the breast for comfort, begin to work toward full breastfeeding.

more here
    kellymom.com :: Help -- My Baby Won't Nurse!

btw, i am having a hard time pumping, and LO wont take enough formula.... so we are back to full time nursing again... our issue is just the opposite of yours!

3. krozwindz

krozwindz Silver IL'ite

Thanks poonam.. I will try the tips... she hasnt resisted to being held or cuddled but the moment she understands that i am trying to bf she howls and wants to jump right of my lap...:)
    i have been so frustruated that i have thought of giving up time and again.. but lets c...
    the other side of the island is always green and i wish lo was nursing full time...

4. shyl

shyl Senior IL'ite

I am in tears as I am drafting this message as I am also in the same situation. My LO is almost 2months old and has been bfing atleast 8 times in a day. After bfing, I am also pumping and giving the expressed milk. Other than the expressed milk, I give about couple ounces of formula too. I just started work last week and initially work was very hectic the first couple days so didnot latch LO for 3days but pumped and gave LO expressed milk and formula. After 3 days of not latching, now LO refuses to be on my breast. The minute I put him in the BF position, he yells and struggles to get away. I am dreding every moment for not BFing for 3 continuous days. Now its almost a week and LO did not latch on properly. Yesterday and today, I was able to put him to breast for 30mins but then that was also when I diverted him while putting him to breast. He sucked on for a while but as soon as he realized he was on my breast he again started yelling. I look forward for tips and advices.

5. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

shyl.... try giving expressed milk in his bottle and gradually introduce breast later... use breast compressions while feeding him... i have to do that to keep my daughter interested in feeding.
    the thing is my milk supply is gradually decreasing, and both me and her can feel it... sometimes she gets bored and draws herself.... sometimes she takes forever to feed. erratic patterns!
    just do lot of hugging and cuddling to your LO. end of the day dont beat yourself up... if he still doesnt want to latch... many babies prefer the quick flow of bottles.....
    relax momma, as i know my milk supply as well as let downs are drastically affected when i am upset....

you are atleast able to pump milk, imagine my plight when i get 1/2 oz after pumping for 15 mins? KWIM?

but i am happy that both me and her are succesfully able to complete 6 months or bfeeding....:)

keep offering him your breast as and when he is hungry, but dont force it onto him, otherwise they act cross... !

6. sumividya

sumividya Bronze IL'ite

hi,
    My problem is slight different , for the past 2 weeks Mysha refuses to drink milk from my left side breast , but she takes joyfully from right side , i cant understand why ? i pump from my left side into a bottle & make her drink , any ideas why she prefers on one side .

7. waitingForTej

waitingForTej Senior IL'ite

Sumividya, even I used to have the same problem... my baby refuses to nurse on my left side and eventually the supply started to drop on that breast. Now all of a sudden he takes that side. Here's what I found interesting:
    kellymom.com :: Lopsided! What can I do?

Try when he's sleepy....and not paying much attention and not as alert

8. sumividya

sumividya Bronze IL'ite

i am following that trick only, when she is sleepy , during 1 or 2 at night , i used to latch her on my left side , so she drinks up the milk when shes sleepy.

9. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

thats cause of lopsided breast, your right one possibly has more flow and faster letdown than your left.... mine has too...hence the preference :)

10. shyl

shyl Senior IL'ite

Hi Poonam, Thank you for your suggestions. I am slowly working towards it and seem to get success. I am not forcing my LO bfing but whenever he is in a happy mood, I offer him b's and he willingly bfeeds.

So hoping I can get him back on in few weeks. Thanks for boosting my morale when I felt very helpless.

Thanks
    Shyl