1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Red ants bore into eggplant stems

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by lokkyfunky, Jun 19, 2013.

1. lokkyfunky

lokkyfunky New IL'ite

Hi,

I have been growing eggplants from seeds and have about 10 plants. I noticed in a few plants holes being bored by red ants. The plants, look weak and the flowers dry and drop off.
    Please help me in overcoming this problem.

2. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Okay this is what I understand. Ants I believe do not attack the roots! But there must some other kind of a grub or some such insect/pest (?) that is present in your soil and the ants are only trying to get their food in the process damaging your plants. The only solution seems to re pot if they are in pots or to replant them and water them!

I do hope that others will come up with what they know!

3. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Hi
    I have found that sowing few garlic pods and regularly putting garlic skin around the plant have discouraged ants in my garden also put some soap water... cucumber peelings...

I would like to know whether the seeds are store bought or did you get the seeds from your plants if so please share how did you harvest the seeds and method of sowing the same

4. kirthihema

kirthihema Bronze IL'ite

Hi
    Cumcumber peels in the pot or near the stem scares and away

5. lokkyfunky

lokkyfunky New IL'ite

Thanks for the response. I'll try putting garlic and cucumber peels around the pot. About the seeds, I did not harvest it myself. I bought it from a seed store. Sowing is pretty straight forward. sprinkled a few seeds in a pot/seed starter trays. After a few weeks, I transplanted them into individual pots. Now that the temperature had come down in Chennai, I see a lot of fruiting.