Recurrent Urinary Infection - Please help

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by Sandhya13, Mar 30, 2015.

1. Sandhya13

Sandhya13 Gold IL'ite

This post is regarding my sister's situation. She is 2.5 months pregnant with her second child and recently had UTI. She is feeling better now but I want to hear from you all if you have any suggestions/home remedies which would prevent/help quick recovery with UTI during and after pregnancy.

She got severe UTI after her first delivery. And it was recurrent time to time for 2 years after her delivery. BTW her first delivery was a C-section. I am really worried about her and appreciate if you could share your experience/suggestions for her situation.

Thank You!
    Sandhya.

2. butterflyice

butterflyice Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Have you checked with doctor? Is there an underlying reason why she is getting UTI? I think your sis should get that checked.

As for home-remedies, horsegram is excellent for UTI. However since your sister is pregnant I would advise caution as this is heat producing. Soak horsegram in water overnight and drink the water.

Banana stem juice, radish esp black radish, watermelon are all very good in preventing UTI.

Cranberries/cranberry juice is also good for treating UTI.

I would have your sister discuss all these foods with her doctor since she is pregnant.

1 person likes this.
  3. VanithaSudhir

VanithaSudhir Platinum IL'ite

Banana stem juice.. is the best for UTI. Drinking in empty stomach is very effective. It even flushes kidney stones.
    But as BFlyice suggested, ask her to check with her Doctor also. Personal Hygiene like cleaning with water after peeing is also important.

1 person likes this.
  4. pumpkin01

pumpkin01 Platinum IL'ite

Make sure she drinks sufficient water through out the day which really helps. Also Barley water, coconut water, cranberry juice helps a lot.... the barley water is the best ....

2 people like this.
  5. sumalynux

sumalynux IL Hall of Fame

HI My doc has suggested below 1. To use Vaginal wash twice a day. Its more like a facewash and just 150rs 2.change inners twice a day.. 3. After every bathroom trip wash throughly with lots of water, and wipe dry using toilet papers. 4. Shave and keep the area clean. 5. Antibiotics will be suggested, if met doctor.

1 person likes this.
  6. Sandhya13

Sandhya13 Gold IL'ite

Thank you ladies for all your suggestions. This means a lot. I will let my sister know about these.

@butterflyice - Her doctor did a lot of tests (do not exactly remember the details). But I don't think they said anything about underlying reasons. Have you heard of any possible underlying reasons? Just asking so that I can pass on the information to her. She had UTI in the lower part (i.e. bladder, urethra) and her bladder was very much affected. She had a lot of pain and constantly had blood in urine. A lot of times she had urinary incontinence. I hope and pray that she doesn't get that again this time.

7. indubalram

indubalram IL Hall of Fame

Cranberry juice is the best solution. Plenty of water intake very much essential.

8. blackbeauty84

blackbeauty84 IL Hall of Fame

Is her sugar level normal? I had severe UTI and later we found out that my sugar levels are high.

9. Sandhya13

Sandhya13 Gold IL'ite

@blackbeauty84 - Sorry that you too had severe UTI. BTW, her sugar levels are completely normal.