1. Interested in Natural Skin Care Solutions?: Check Here
    Dismiss Notice

Recommendations/Review for Shampoos & Conditioners

Discussion in 'Hair Care & Hair Styles' started by blueygirls, Feb 25, 2007.

Rate this discussion.

1. Excellent

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Good

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Fair

50.0%
  4. Bad

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Poor

50.0%
  1. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Re: Best shampoo?

hi all,

I was using herbal essences...and when i checked for sls it was there. so now switched over to nyle and the natural powdered soapnut.

2. Anoo.p

Anoo.p New IL'ite

Thank u Shravanthika ,,,i'll definitely check it at Walmart

3. hydgrr

hydgrr Bronze IL'ite

I also faced the same problem. I was used to sunsilk and after coming here when i chnaged to other shampoo my haor would become dry and rough....already i have a curly hair. But now i'm using Hello Hydration from Herbal Essences's shampoo n conditioner and its good. You can get it in any stores here.

4. SoaringSpirit

SoaringSpirit Silver IL'ite

I use and absolutely love Redken shampoo and conditioner. If you have highlighted hair they have one for colored hair which is awesome too. The price is on the higher side but it works great for me. Other shampoos/conditioner used to leave my hair listless.

I get this from "Ulta", a beauty store. You can also find in hair cutting salons. It is not available in Walmart or Target.

SS

5. Induslady

Induslady Administrator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Shanvy,

Is sls - sodium laureth/lauryl sulfate? Is that not advisable on the hair?

Thanks,
    Malathy

6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

hi malathy,

yes. sls is sodium lauryl/laureth sulfate (SLS), and is now being said is harmful for hair...my daughter has long hair..and she is suffering from hair loss..so when looking at reasons...people in our forum were saying sls could also be a factor.

7. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Friends,
    I just happened to "stumble" across this thread.
    My friend's son worked for a leading Haircare Product who advertised the most natural shampoo. He says, whatever the advt be, ANY shampoo which lathers does have a weebit harmful chemicals. This includes the most herbal shampoo sachets available in Chennai. The 100% harmless is only HOMEGROUND shikakai powder ! The one we buy also, I fear, cannot be relied upon.
    Love,
    Chithra.

8. jaanu_2721

jaanu_2721 Bronze IL'ite

How do conditioners work?

Regular Conditioners
    Conditioning your hair is of utmost importance because a good conditioner coats your hair shaft, protecting it from wear and tear. It also makes your hair smooth and shiny and prevents hair breakage.

Note: Under most circumstances this is adequate for your hair. But if your hair is excessively dry, it requires protection, or is permed you can use a good quality conditioner additionally.

Intensive Conditioners
    Intensive conditioners have been formulated to provide specialized conditioning for weak, brittle, very dry or damaged hair which may be a result of chemical treatment such as perming.
    If your hair is in this state, you should be using intensive conditioners as a weekly treatment for the extra care you need.
    They will help you achieve your hair’s perfect state – soft, shiny and healthier looking.
    They contain additional ingredients like humectants which lock in moisture. This gets rid of the dryness in your hair.
    Note: Under most circumstances this is adequate for your hair. But if your hair is excessively dry, it requires protection, or is permed you can use a good quality conditioner additionally.

Do I Really Need A Conditioner?Your hair gets damaged everyday through routine activities such as towel drying, aggressive brushing, incorrect combing and styling.
    Besides this everyday exposure to sun, wind and environmental pollution can also damage your hair, making it look dull, dry and listless.
    You need to protect your hair, which is dead and is not capable of repairing itself.
    That is why you need to use a conditioner—to protect your hair.
    How Do I Protect My Hair While Swimming?
    If you swim regularly, use your fingers to comb a little conditioner through your dry hair before you get into the pool. This will help to keep it in good condition, even whilst swimming and will also make it easier to put your swimming cap on if you wear one.
    Does My Hair Need Intensive Conditioning?

If you spend a lot of time outdoors, in the sun and the wind, then your hair needs intensive conditioning. For instance, if you visit the beach during the day, comb some intensive conditioner through dry hair, and if it is long, tie it back in a loose knot or bun. This will help protect your hair and leave it beautifully conditioned for the evening, once you have shampooed. Remember prevention is better than cure!
    If your hair is damaged, permed or coloured, it will need intensive conditioning.
    Note: The benefits of intensive conditioning can be appreciated by any hair type.

How To Apply
    To begin with, pour out an adequate amount of conditioner onto your palms and rub them together.
    Then gently work the conditioner into your hair, always in the same direction i.e. from front to back.
    If you have basically dry hair with an oily scalp, apply the conditioner to the ends only.
    A quick and easy way to apply conditioner: Squeeze the conditioner into the palm of your hand and rub your palms together. Using the whole flat of your hand, massage the conditioner into your hair, working from the scalp downwards.

How Much To Use
    Be liberal. The hair should feel heavy. However, you don’t want to see white blobs of product sitting on your hair. Don’t over apply it at the roots because you are very unlikely to need much of it here.

How To Apply Intensive Conditioner
    Here’s a quick and easy way to apply intensive conditioner:
    Squeeze the conditioner into the palm of your hand and rub your palms together.
    Using the whole flat of your hand, massage the conditioner into your hair working from the scalp downwards.
    Wrap your head in a towel (if you’ve got long hair, tie it back in a loose knot first).
    This works by keeping the head warm and helps to prevent moisture loss from the hair.
    When you’re ready to wash intensive conditioner out, remove the towel, comb through the hair again with a wide-toothed comb and rinse thoroughly.
    :thumbsup

9. btej26K

btej26K New IL'ite

Hello,
    Shanvy,
    Both these chemicals are not good for the hair and also for the skin. Pls look out for these deadly chemicals in body wash. They are also found in kids bath wash. Dont use it.
    Thanks
    Btej26k

10. Nandshyam

Nandshyam IL Hall of Fame

:( :( :(

what about meera.. thats bad too :hide::hide: