Recipes preparation for a week

Discussion in 'Cuisines of India' started by beautifulpink, Apr 10, 2012.

1. beautifulpink

beautifulpink New IL'ite

I want to prepare different kinds of batter like idli/dosa, adai batter etc during weekend and use it during the week to make quick snacks for my child. I've been doing these but I was wondering if there were other things (healthy food) that I can prepare ahead of time and then use it during the week.

Can you please give some ideas of different kinds of snacks that can be prepared during weekend leisurely and used during the week? How do you guys (especially working and studying moms) prepare for the week?

2. virtualkv2020

virtualkv2020 Platinum IL'ite

Here are some..
    1.curry puffs/egg puffs/chicken puffs ( you can buy frozen puff pastry sheets, thaw them and fill them with any veg dry curry or boiled egg or chicken boneless fry and bake them in the oven, I actually freeze the veg puffs without baking them & bake them when needed).
    2.veggie spring rolls (buy ready made spring roll sheets, using a Chinese veggie filling make rolls and freeze them, deep fry them or bake them when needed)
    3.kathi rolls - make rolls with chapathi,omelette and any left over veg/chicken curry
    4.vegetable idli - grate some carrots, chop beans.Pour the idli batter in the idli plate mould and sprinkle some of these veggies and steam cook the idlies.
    5.dal roti - mix any kind of cooked dal into the chapathi atta and make chapathies.
    6.palak roti - mix palak paste into the chapathi atta and make roties.
    7.veg parata - make a dry curry preparation by sauting very finely chopped onions,coriander leaves,grated carrots,chopped beans,grated and boiled potato, little salt & chilli powder.Let cool and store in a container in the fridge.When needed take a small portion of the veggie mixture and make a mixed veg paratha.
    8.veggie paniyaram - add very finely chopped onions,grated carrots,finely chopped beans to the idli or dosa batter and makes paniyarams in the paniyaram pan.
    9.Sandwich - you can make a sandwich with any veg/chicken curry, top it with a slice of cheese and then grill the sandwich in the sandwich maker.

3 people like this.
  3. suryakala

suryakala IL Hall of Fame

Dear Beautiful,
    You can make 'Weet-Bix' upma.Making method is the same as making ' Sooji upma'. Break the Weet Bix gently. After the Thadka, add the Weet Bix mix, sprinle some water.Add some salt..(don't boil the water) Just sprinkle some water, That is enough .Mix them together,And heat them for five minutes.It is a Healthy snacks for everybody in the Family.
    Enjoy.

3 people like this.
  4. Pavirang

Pavirang Bronze IL'ite

Hi, here r the batter I usually do.
    1. Idly batter, with one batter u do lots of variations. Mix oats , onions, chilly, coriander leaves, curry leaves,grated carrot n make oats idly.u can add rava n curd to the same idly batter n all above ingratiates n make rava idly.Or soak ragi for 1 hr grind add to the idly batter n make ragi idly...
    2. For dosa also u can do same as above,oats,rava, maida,wheat,ragi, greengram....
    3. One of the my favorite is wheat, oats adai.1/2 cup wheat floor, 1/2 cup oats , onions, chilly, Ginger,coriander n curry leaves, fennel seeds,jeers, little chilly powder, 2 tsp curd - mix all well. The batter should be inbetqeen dosa batter n chappathi batter.not so loose or not so thick. This batter can last for 3 days.do if u prepare the batter on sunday, finish if before Wednesday.
    4. U can grind separate ragi dosa, kambu dosa,green gram dosa...

3 people like this.
  5. Pavirang

Pavirang Bronze IL'ite

Hey, sorry I didnt see ur location first.I know u won't get this grains Ragi, kambu etc there.

6. ILoveTulips

ILoveTulips IL Hall of Fame

Wow very nice thread. Very healthy recipes shared by you all ladies. I will bookmark the thread and start preparing them. Thank you all... :)

7. uma16

uma16 Senior IL'ite

no ragi u can get in indian shops here