Recipe-Related queries

Discussion in 'Cuisines of India' started by safa, May 31, 2006.

1. balamotwani

balamotwani Bronze IL'ite

Re: Basmati Rice.

Hi Prasana Kiran,

There are so many brands of Basmati Rice in the market. In the rice bag itself you can find "How to cook" on the back side instructions. The water depends on the brand. Best way to cook basmati rice according to my experience, i used Tilda Basmati rice.
    1) Wash and soak basmati rice for atleast 10 minutes.
    2) If you are cooking in a pot directly in the stove then boil 3 cups of water and then put this soaked rice after draining. Keep in high for some time. You can close it with some plate.Reduce the fire and cook until you see the rice is cooked. When you feel the rice is cooked and is seperate then if you want you can drain the balance water. But be careful, its hot.
    3) If you use rice cooker, then just add for 1 cup of rice add 2.5 cups of water.Cook till the light goes into warm button.

Points to remember:
    1) You can add 1 spoon oil and salt while cooking so that it is seperate and some north indians cook this way.
    2) If you feel your rice is mashed then reduce water.
    3) If it is not very long and you have a bought a long grained basmati rice, then add more water while cooing.
    4) Do not stir or use spoon while it is cooking, as there are chances of getting mashed rice, if you do too muh stirring.

There are many good brand like Kohinoor, Asoka, Tilda,.....

2. prasannakiran

prasannakiran New IL'ite

Hi bala....

Thanks a lot for ur wonderful reply.

Will defnetly follow the procedure n tips suggested by u.

bye.....

3. srinivasan_vanaja

srinivasan_vanaja Gold IL'ite

hi,

in india the brands that are good - double deer, india gate. buy the one which has long grains.

it cooks well in the electric cooker. one cup of plain rice needs two cups of water to boil. if you are adding vegetables along with rice, pour one more cup of water. as bala said add one teaspoon of oil or ghee to get separate grains.

regards,

vanaja

4. HinaAhmed

HinaAhmed New IL'ite

Hi! Prasanna,

Did you get reply for what u have asked for??? Anyways here is what I follow. If one cup of basmati rice then one and a half cup water need to be taken, that is for Pulaos & Biryani's. But if its for Kichdi & Ghee rice then its one cup rice two cups of water. But the real secret is that you add a spoon of ghee to it so that the rice comes out grain like without sticking. As for brand, any will do but I prefer Double Deer Basmati or India Gate. Like I said all that matters is correct water to be taken and don't forget that spoon of ghee. Happy Cooking.

Hina

5. sindu

sindu New IL'ite

lunch to school

Hi All,
    I am Sindu, new to this site and enjoying this site it is really good one thanks to Rajmi who introduced me to it.
    Can any one suggest me some good lunch ideas for children who do not like rice much, rotis, mixed rices, parathas, these i have tried i need something different if any one can help me out please.
    thanks,
    Sindu

6. Eljaype

Eljaype Bronze IL'ite

Re: lunch to school

Dear Sindu,

Go to ChitVish's thread. you can get all sorts of recipes you want. You can choose and select

Love
    Latha

Last edited: Oct 27, 2007
  7. prasannakiran

prasannakiran New IL'ite

Hi Hina & Vanaja....

Those tips were amazing...n happy to tell u ppl that my Biryani made from Basmati rice turned out very welll.......

Thanks a lot!!!!!

8. vinu1973

vinu1973 New IL'ite

Indian sweet

How to make south indian sweet "paniyaram"? Kindly sent the instruction for this recipie.

Thank you.

9. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

10. vinu1973

vinu1973 New IL'ite

Re: Indian sweet

Hi chitra,

Thank you for your reply.